Landy project

1. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand if you trip over the cable you could pull it out of the plug!

2. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    or pull the socket off the back! but there would be nothing worse than crawling under a muddy wet landy to fix it (regularly) and just as you move the torch to light up the part that needs hammer time the lights go out!

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

This where you need an ex military LR with the convoy light that shines on the rear diff. :laughing:

4. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Cleaver

5. Chipper Member

I got everything hooked up last night, armed with bottles of Bombardier and tabs. Pretty nervous. Did the light in series thing as per rtb's idea, and the smoke stayed in. Miracle :laughing:

A frog hopped into the garage - must be a good sign :laughing:

Everything works so far, water temp not tested though.
    Minor problem with the heater fan, sorted today.
    Found there's no place for the oil temp sender to go, so hopefully I can sort out a bung to weld onto the sump.

Poured a half gallon of old juice in the tank and a bit down the carb, and it fired up for a few secs :cool: Batt was pretty flat so maybe get it running properly tonight, or tomorrow.

6. Robotstar5

Can you put a tee piece into the oil pressure switch mounting? I did that with an RR pressure guage.

7. Chipper Member

I'm going to do that to feed the oil pressure gauge, and keep the oil warning light. Maybe there's one with 3 ports but not seen one yet.

Charged up the batt and it fired up and ran like a good 'un :cool: Carb and/or timing needs bit of tweakage but all good so far.

8. Robotstar5

I used one with a male and 2 female ports, maybe you could stack 2? may look a bit odd though!

9. Chipper Member

Did think of that, but yeah would look like an xmas tree. :laughing:

New performance exhaust. Gonna hit MacDonals and show dem kidz wiv Saxos how its done, innit.:whistle:
    [​IMG]

Turned him around so I can start on the front half.
    [​IMG]

10. joss

joss Tea milk 2 sugars

Kate my series 1 says hello to your landy

11. Robotstar5

See you've got an external fuel filler, I used to get some funny looks dragging the petrol pump hose through the drivers door!

12. Chipper Member

Hey Joss, post up a pic some time.
    Sidefill should be quite handy, well its necessary since I did me seat box tops etc, but kinda like that mil thing with the underseat and changeover tap 'n that.

13. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

But top fill is real handy if you want to get into the tank.
    I had the lurgy[bacteria] in my tank, it was easy to get my
    arm in the tank and give it a good scrub..

14. Chipper Member

Dash nailed together. Black allen bolts, nylon washers and wellnuts hold it in. Added some waterproof novelty condoms to the chromed LED switches (heater & reverse/work light) to de-bling them, with hole punched in the end.
    [​IMG]

Partly reworked the dumbirons and did a new x-brace thing after finding it's all a bit off. Looks like someone didn't jig it up before.

Had a day chiselling a near-bucketful of gack off the front axle etc. Lovely. Two sessions with TFR and jetwash and it's not too bad now.

Old master cyl off, was held on with one bolt. Genius. Removed & painted the pedal box.
    Made a blank fitting for the unwanted bean can bottom outlet (clutch has its own master). Better than the snipped crimped pipe.
    Removed the inner divider. Tarted-up beanage, replacement lid also painted.
    [​IMG]

After looking fairly vehicle-ish lately it was up on stands and off with wheels, tie rods, shocks etc. Ready to do both swivels. Wirebrushed the axle and springs.
    [​IMG]

Todays bodgery: an old car fan in a scrap frame (first seat back chopped up). Ran out of gas so couldn't make the top mount, but still works. Very effective at sucking/blowing the great clouds of dust/rust out while wire brushing etc. Runs of a battery charger - two speeds - posh... The other half suggested turning it round with a tray of ice cubes in front, for garage air con :laughing:
    [​IMG]

15. oz. Member

Cwmcarn
    It could be that I just a big tart... But are you going to paint the axles?

16. Chipper Member

Yes mate, the back one's done already (I can only work on half at a time, turned him around so I can do the front half :laughing:). The springs will get painted outside and on edge, and motorbike chain oil forced twixt the leaves like I did with the back ones. Bit of Jenolite here & there, red oxide, 2k black for the rest of it, same as out back.

17. Chipper Member

Wire brushed the axles, springs, hubs, stubs, drums, backplates, swivel outers, tie rods, etc etc. Was sweating rust...
    Then paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much of this was required also:
    [​IMG]

Had to get one hub helicoiled and sort some snapped bolts.

Stripped & cleaned the AVM free-wheeling hubs, partly put together and painted black. Did the arrows and numbers in red pinstriping enamel.

Garage monkeys stole one of the axle nuts. But I think it's a std one not the special AVM job. These garage monkeys must be related to the beer monkeys that re-arrange your place during the night when you've had a session, next day it's all different. They lurk in the dark places and nick stuff when you drop it. And sneak out at night and hide tools or that one thing that you really, really need. B*stards.

All axle & hub bearings are shot so along with 2x swivel kits I had to order a fair load of stuff.

Filled a load of holes in the wings. No doubt some are original but a fair few were PO additions. Filled the lot.
    Squirted some camo.
    [​IMG]

Need to make a new front panel at some point. Just want to drive it now...

Spent a while beating the bonnet straight(er), and added some re-inforcing channel to try and sort out the bow at the back.
    Primed and first coat of green on.
    [​IMG]

Made a dodgy box spanner for the rearmost sump bolts by hammering a piece of steel tube to a rough hex, and drill for a tommy bar. Still leaks from there though...

I cooked up the swivels balls and hubs, and stub axle distance pices, while freezing various bushes and races, and the stub axles. Most things just dropped nicely into place, very little need for hammering.

Had a slight interruption with the chain breaking on my bike. This was OK in that despite travelling at a good lick it didn't chew the engine cases, bunch up / lock up / cause me surf tarmac. But it did cost time and money I haven't got. So have to sell my lovely Alcon 6-pot calipers that were s'posed to be my roll cage and door tops fund. O well.

18. Pulsarbebb

Pulsarbebb Member

uk
    this is what I want in the future a landy with everyting uprated and the rover V8 in it but I like the speed of little hatchbacks oh well :whistle:

19. Pulsarbebb

Pulsarbebb Member

uk
    I love what yove done, but the only thing about defenders is the driving position all the dash is right up to you, im used to nissan d22 (early navara) but I wouldn't say no to a series 1 or 2 even though Im really a Jap guy at heart but cant wait to see final product :clapping:

20. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I used to have a Navara, wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Advertisements