Landy project

1. weldingscotty803

weldingscotty803 what you staring at??????????

theres a place in derby, or near there called anchor supplies, they sell ex MOD stuff.
    i meant to say nato green not olive, think they sell paint as well. i'm sure they do.
    i'm just waiting for my tranny brake shoes to be re lined as they dont make them anymore. then i've got to get it through the mot. got a few other bits to sort first, transfer box mounts, service, patch a few holes up. should be on the road for mid may

2. Chipper Member

Sounds good on the Suzi, in time for spring. I've heard of Anchor on a Landy forum for paint, didn't realise they sold MOD stuff as well, off for a nosey...

3. RedOrZed Member

Milton Keyneses
    Heh, have you come back from there? That's a fun site, spent ages there just now :laughing:

Do I really need an orange artic teepee? Ooh and a portable kitchen, generator and sillyscope...hmmm :o

4. Chipper Member

:laughing: Virtual shopping list pretty quickly...

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Anchor Supplies is in Ripley and Nottingham Scott. The Ripley one on Steam Mill Lane is handy for us, I get all kinds of stuff from there. I once bought a stretcher for £1, it makes a great lounger on the lawn :D

6. jontawn Member

sheffield
    anchor supplies = the bestestest link from this forum, ever! thanks! just got to find £6500 for that diving suit!

7. weldingscotty803

weldingscotty803 what you staring at??????????

lol. might be nippin down soon, window shopping lol

8. Chipper Member

More gauge-related faffing. Bought a nice NOS oil pressure gauge, cheap. Except it was ex-Navy, white inside, and the face etc tilted - meant for horizontal-ish panel mount maybe?
    Cut the bezel (crimped on type), open him up. Straighten the gubbins, paint insides black. Bezel goes back with Tiger Seal and a jubbly clip to hold it till dry. Fill gap, paint.
    [​IMG]

Started brackets for the seat backs: chopped bolt nearly flush into a threaded hole in the block, plate goes over, weld. Nice and straight. Maybe there's a better way? Easy enough though.
    [​IMG]

Brackets will mount the seat backs to the frame, one up top / two lower down.
    [​IMG]

9. Chipper Member

Electrics. Got "organised" and mounted an old whiteboard to garage door. Posh.
    [​IMG]

State of mind at 9am, and hopes for end of day:
    [​IMG]

I'm adding a manual-switched reverse light, will unplug so a torch or light can be used out back, or for fettling underneath etc.

10. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    rear work lights are very useful In my van i have a second battery powered through a caravan charging relay. From this i then run work lights, Light bar, inverter and fridge for cold butty's and tins in the summer! And the best part is it will not flatten the van battery. I do like the idea of having a point that a corded light can be plugged into

11. Chipper Member

That sounds brill, fridge and that. We go camping a fair bit and the truck has two batt's but I have no idea at all how to fettle electrics like that... Will be lucky if the Landy don't go up in flames...:laughing:

12. madkayaker

Cumbria
    sort the basics first then the trick bits! Basically the relay i have works on voltage so when the voltage is high enough (engine running battery charging) it connects the second battery into the circuit and this then charges. When the voltage falls it isolates the second battery from the vehicle system preventing the main battery becoming flat. You then wire to a fuse board in nice big cable and wire the rest into that! The trick to low voltage is to get nice clean tight connections as the current is high.

13. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

When you connect the battery for the first time connect an indicator bulb in series with it, that will limit the current to about 2 amps. Try the vehicle lights and as you switch them on the test lamp will increase in brightness and the vehicle light will glow dimly.

14. Chipper Member

It'll definitely be basics first, its all I can do anyways:laughing:

Cheers rtb thats very useful. Got an old bike back light thats set up as a test light so thats handy.

15. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Make sure you have a warning lamp though so you don't drive off showing a white lamp to the rear!

A good set of work lights are handy for reminding the idiot behind he has main beam on :whistle:

16. rtbcomp

When I ordered the new chassis for my SIII I got them to fit an outrigger for a LHS fuel tank. I then got a scrap tank, cut the top off and lined it with fibreglass. This is now a battery box for the 2nd battery.

When I rewired it I incorporated a split charger and the sidelights, hazards, radio &c work off the 2nd battery.

Re the reversing light, you can get a reverse light switch to fit a Series gearbox, earlier models may need a hole drilling in the gearlever bracket.

17. Chipper Member

Cheers guys. Been told a manual reverse needs a tell-tale for MOT, so I got a LED switch. May add a dash light if it's too dim...
    The Landy will stay one batt and basic as it's enough for me to tackle...:whistle: Our Toyota has 2 batts though. The fridge etc sounds well handy for that.

Chaps d'you think one of these would be OK to do the reverse/work light bit with? VWP DIN socket & plug-
    "DIN socket. Takes standard DIN plug. Surface mounting die cast aluminium body"
    [​IMG]

"DIN plug. Fits the above sockets."
    [​IMG]

Could mount in the tub, so a bit less likely to get clarted up with mud and road gack.

18. rtbcomp

That looks a bit delicate to me. I'll be using the live feed on the supplementary trailer socket for my worklight.

19. madkayaker

Cumbria
    trailer sockets are great as you can't pull the plug out by accident. I use DIN for the light bar and i have to zip tie in place as it keeps falling out.

20. Chipper Member

Ta chaps will check that out.

Advertisements