Landy project

1. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    i'd kill for a garage can't even get the landy in the workshop as the door is in middle i used to paddle with a rocket scientist who bought a house on the hight of the garage door so he could get his 110 in with kayak on top

2. Chipper Member

Super All Traction tyres, they don't give much when flat but might be enough - not a good option though, want to use it every day.
    Reckon some chain drilling and chiselling will be in order, can't think of another way. 3" sq, about 5 feet needs chopping out. Fun.

ps MK, garages are ace. I've done my time without, 17-18 yrs working on the street, sat under a bike cover spannering while it snowed.... feck that, he's going into the garage somehow!

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Worse one I can remember was changing a reluctant power steering pipe lying in the gutter on a cold November evening with rain running down my neck! - had to fix it to get to work.

4. Dusty Member

Medway,Kent,uk
    When I was a lad laying in the snow trying to fix the diff lock actuator on the Range Rover just so we could go play!, or a few weeks later still out in the garden at 2 in the morning under a makeshift tent to keep the freezing rain off trying to install a replacement v8 motor, ahh happy days.........F**k doin that now tho'
    Still not got a garage big enough for the disco, so working on the drive, but only when the weathers kind!

5. madkayaker

Cumbria
    might look at some skates so i can get the landy in the workshop or see if i can talk the farmer out of a bigger shed

6. Robotstar5

That was a downside when the Disco was launched, the humped roof caused problems with garages and some carparks

7. Dusty Member

Medway,Kent,uk
    Was a member of the rangie register back then and knew a fella had be given a prelaunch one to tryout, as he had a new car every year. He drove it home and wrote it off as he parked it! well the rangie's fitted his garage! but you guessed it, it was too tall for his garage.....Oooops!

8. Robotstar5

I take it Land Rover were not impressed with his suggestion for a convertible Disco then? :laughing:

9. Dusty Member

Medway,Kent,uk
    he was the kind of fella that would take a brandnew LSE off road! not a lot of sense but rich.....sadly missed....

10. Robotstar5

I saw Roger Crathorne do that at Eastnor on a trials demo area to prove it was the driver, not the tyres that got you through!

11. Chipper Member

Rich but no sense, proper ... may as well enjoy it :laughing:

Don't know why but those ^ car stories reminded me: nowt to do with Discos etc but was driving through an estate once, and out of the corner of the eye noticed a big section of fence hastily repaired.
    Through the gaps in it I saw the roof of a car... a few inches above ground... eh? Took a proper look - a car must've slammed through the fence and gone into someone's partially-dug swimming pool..:laughing:

12. Chipper Member

A bit ago I did the valve stem seals with the head in place, for various reasons (made an adaptor and use compressed air). Doesn't smoke at all now on startup or running. Rear crank seal leaks loads though.

Been getting him ready for the tilt, adding cleats and things that weren't there.
    Spent Saturday getting new bare door tops to fit. Had to mod one top, and chop the lip on the windscreen frame where the door seal goes. It stopped the door closing, let alone with a seal in. Wasn't going to use original seals so not worried about chopping.
    Odd but NFW would they fit. No wonder a PO beat seven shades out of the old ones with a hammer.

Coloured in the screen and other frame bits, and the the overriders.

Fitted the tilt, with cords from bungee and carbine clips, fixed with hog rings. My other half added some straps so the sides can be rolled up (missing on ex-mil ones).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the garage is chopped with the help of Sweary Pete the chippy, so he can drive in and out no bother now.

Went to Haddenham Steam Rally today. Bought a fluid transfer thing, a bossing mallet and a planishing hammer. Can't have enough hammers.

13. madkayaker

Cumbria
    that looks good. makes the paint work on mine look very shabby

14. Chipper Member

Cheers mk. They're supposed to be a bit battered I guess, don't think mine'll stay clean for too long.

15. madkayaker

Cumbria
    does your gear stick hit your heater in reverse?

16. Chipper Member

No mate, it's fine, but I think there's a difference with series 2 and 3 sticks but could be wrong, maybe it's something to do with that.

17. madkayaker

Cumbria
    its a s2 stick i have i don't have a fan gaurd on the heater like yours

18. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Enthusiast

the little bolt in the side of the umm thing that the gear stick mounts in wears and it makes the stick move/wobble more, also wears the grove in the ball on the gear stick, mine used to almost hit the dash in reverse, was very annoying when I had my change over switch for the lpg right in front of reverse, often hit it and turned all fuel off haha, moved that and put a clock there now :) not too hard to fix anyway, new bolt and maybe gearstick, or a bit of repare to the grove in the ball.

19. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Enthusiast

forgot to mention mine is a series 3 lwb station wagon not lightweight.

20. I seem to remember there's also a screw and lock nut that governs how far the selector for reverse can move. Could be that needs adjustment after wear on the end.

Advertisements