Landy project

1. Pulsarbebb

Pulsarbebb Member

uk
    luckily cos ours is a 2000 model it doesn't have the engine problems as the later ones which have uprated bhp but not uprated big end bearings :( ours has been where 4x4s shouldnt go and done 90000 miles and burns no oil, hopefullt when dad buys a new pick up in a few years i'll buy it off him and turn it into a dakar rally replica :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

2. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Didn't have any problems with mine, in fact I liked it, just wouldn't have anything else than a Landy now

3. Chipper Member

Thanks Pulsar. Hoped to go for MOT this weekend, but I'm laid low with a bug so at least another week now.
    On the Jap front we've got a Hilux Surf, '95 one (still based on the pickup not the Landcruiser). Was great in the winter, much fun in snow especially throwing it's heavy arse around in 2wd:D
    If we could've afforded a Depender we'd probably have gone for that, but can't fault the hilux as yet.

4. Chipper Member

Thanks mate, would've been handy. I'll get one next time I reckon.

5. darren.a.roberts Member

Cambridge
    Hi, nice job - just wondering what kind of paint the black is that you used on the hubs and swivels?

6. Chipper Member

Cheers. It's two-pack, PPG Deltron, and I think Cromwell 2k on the back axle/springs etc.

7. Chipper Member

First off, he's just passed the MOT...:cool:
    Second time of asking though. First try go was at the rather posh local garage, despite reservations, thought it best get some other eyes on him. The tester was not best pleased it wasn't a fresh Eurobox. Failed on mostly minor things although the handbrake clevis pin was absent... reckon I forgot to fit a split pin...doh! Bit of fettling and a different garage and he went through no advisories.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But the brakes are binding / no give in the pedal. Odd because till this last trip they've been spot on.
    Sump will now be dropped to make a boss for an oil temp sender, fit the oil pressure sender and adaptor, also to fix it's leak which is pretty bad.
    Tracking is way out so need to do that too.

Leading up to this:
    Rebuilt the front axle. All bearings and races were shot. The oven and freezer helped avoid need for hammers & presses. Much frozen veg was used to chill the longer half shaft as it wouldn't fit in the freezer...:whistle:
    Bracket thing to hold the swivels for fettling, think this was a corner 'clamp' made for doing the seat frames. It meant the swivels could sit in a couple of places on the vice, which was nice.
    The eagle-eyed might notice a missing roller... the replacement bearings had a retainer on one side only, where the ones I took out had one both sides. Being dumb I didn't notice till too late that one was retainer-inwards. Luckily I found the roller before the garage monkeys spirited it to the murky depths.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One hub got a metric helicoil, I turned down the bolt head so it matches the others...
    Tool for the filler plugs: busted Torx socket and spare socket melted together.
    [​IMG]
    FWHs stripped & sorted, they turn nicely now. Made gaskets by scanning an old one and printing direct to gasket paper.
    Steering box & relay topped up.
    New shocks, slaves, hoses, new master with my tarted bean can.
    [​IMG]
    Adjusted the doors, though the hinges are shot but at least they close without a fight now. My other half made the seat backs. I cocked up a bit leaving too much gap but 'tis done.

Finished up spraying, though the front overriders are still to be done.

Fiddled with the carb a bit, he runs much better. When I got him he blasted big black 'splats' on the garage wall... wonder if the thing's been borewashed to hell.

Hope to start playing with the tilt & sticks at the weekend, I got LWB sticks so they need a fettle. Sold me posh bike brakes so that paid for MOTs and will get door tops & bits.

Will need to make a grille before long and redo the front panel, though that can wait.

Off to the garage armed with Hobgoblin, give the old thing a pat... and check his brakes. Does it ever end? Doubtful!

8. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Just make sure you've got some lost motion on the brake pedal before it contacts the pushrod on the master cylinder.

If you've got a servo will pulling the pedal back release the brakes?

9. Chipper Member

Yeah he did had free play, and no drum felt particularly hot. Oddly after an hour all was normal again... bit of looking at needed. Done short hops and all was good, just this last one went a bit dodge.

10. rtbcomp

Including the handbrake drum?

Was it in 4WD? that can cause drag on tarmac.

11. Chipper Member

2WD, handbrake is A-OK. I'm going to give it a good run then jack up each end, see what brake/s are causing a problem. Wondering if one's not adjusted up right.
    Does seem like pedal freeplay but why it was OK till now, is puzzling me.

12. Why not just tap in between the banjo fittings from block to head at the back right hand side of the engine? That pipe is the pressure feed into the head and valve gear.

13. Chipper Member

Is that accessible easily? The sump leaks and needs to come off anyways for new gasket/face cleanup. The sender is 5/8" UNF so quite fat thread.

14. Chipper Member

Did the tracking, it was miles out... Drives much better, loads less see-sawing bumpsteer. Borrowed the 'tube and dowel' idea but with spare tube & rod, to measure difference at front and rear wheel rim edges.
    [​IMG]

Took the sump off; and welded on a 5/8" UNF stainless nut for the oil temp sender. Fitted that with an O-ring and Hylomar.

Fitted up the hood sticks & canvas, that needs some little bits so that's the next mission along finding a centre half-hoop and side bars for an 88" (I got a 109" set).
    Discovered that the rear hoop is 1" too high to make it in the garage - I'll have to either pop it out every time or find a way of chopping the garage.

15. Shox Dr

I'm in the middle workshop extension, and that was the first thing I checked when we put the lintel in for the roller door. The landy lives outside, but there maybe times when I need it inside to do work on it, I'd would have been well sacked off if it didn't fit in.

16. oz. Member

Cwmcarn
    You could let he tyres down when you want to take it in/out

17. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    sit a big bird in the back

18. Shox Dr

I wasn't going to lower myself to say that :whistle:

19. rtbcomp

I took the roof off my garage and put an extra course of concrete slabs in, working from the rear tub of my landy.

Advertisements