Landy project

1. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

But if clouds of smoke obscured the bulb you would not know there was a fault :laughing:

2. Chipper Member

Cheers all. VWP, yep, good service. Good tips here, I might throw out a separate post for leccy tips 'n tricks. Actually I'm kind of looking forward to it now. Used to use a guy who'd rewire bikes v.cheap, so just called him in and never worried about electricks. It'll be good to do this.

Pedro yeah the factory vent holes surprised me, big enough to let mud in but small enough to block and keep it n. This one was packed up solid with mud in a couple of places... lord knows where it came from but hoiking it out itched me arms something rotten...

3. Chipper Member

Lots of inactivity due to Things and Stuff, but got some done.

Heater, made one from two manky ones. Lots of faff, the best matrix was taller than the other and refused to fit the best case despite fettling with No.1 Adjustment Tool. All buttoned up now though.
    [​IMG]

Jacked him up and cleaned the axle and springs. De-cacked and brushed in 2k. The gloss will tamp down with a bit of road dirt and make cleaning easy.
    [​IMG]

New shocks delivered, waiting on hardware for those now.
    Rear brakes seem OK but flexi ordered.

I blew the rear leafs out with comp air, amazing what came out.
    Made an oil squirter out of a deeply crap spray gun that was found lurking, forcing thick grease in there. It came free with something or other, donks ago.
    [​IMG]

One hardtop side stripped to bare far as poss, the rest blasted, and the back separated off ready for narrowing to suit the Lightweight tub.

Slight cock-up with the seat base frames, I'd glued EPDM rubber strips to them but the 3M Super Weatherstrip glue, normally fab stuff, doesn't like it. So had strip the frames and they're in primer again. Tiger Seal seems to work. Lesson learnt, test stuff first.

Bonnet is back to bare metal, ready for some hammerage to straighten a few bits.

Want to mod the rear of the tub, the lights are mounted on the top half (should be on the lower). Presumably because the bottom area is shot on one side, the other has no light holes but seems original, rather odd.

May abandon the hardtop for now, and make a sort of canvas truck cab effort. Can't spring for tilt & sticks and I always really wanted canvas, so that will do a job.

Bumper was wire brushed and blasted inside and out.

Here's my DIY blasting tent, and a bin thing I made that doubles as a parts washer basin and something to put small bits over, on weldmesh. Has a drain/tap underneath.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And lastly a close-up of a rare specis of the local wildlife:
    [​IMG]

4. eil Member

N Wales
    Like the blasting tent Chipper, how did you make the bit you put your arms through.

5. Chipper Member

Cheers eil, my other half made the tent bit, she does covers/curtains/sewing for a business. The sleeves are just calico so not stretchy, but the ends are elasticated.

6. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

The ones on my Clarke cabinet soon packed up so I made some out of an old pair of jodphurs I got in a "rag bag" I bought from the local charity shop.

For bead blasting a pair of marigolds are perfectly adequate.

7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Love it. Big Kids Meccano:D

Rebuilt mine 3 yrs ago. disappeared in the front garden, was reborn in the back, with not a nut or bolt untouched over 10 months.

• 23052007006 (Medium).jpg
    • PICT0519 (Medium).jpg
    • PICT0390 (Medium).jpg
  8. harry69koi Member

uk/grimsby
    quality work there guys :cool:

9. Chipper Member

Very smart Shox! Nice colours too. Wish I'd done mine down to the chassis now, it's taken so long I may as well have...

rtbcomp, sounds good. The calico is probably a bit weedy, but then I haven't got enough power yet to do much damage, have to do most with wire wheels then blast the tricky bits. Must get a pot sorted.

10. Shox Dr

Thanks, It's called Auckland Blue Met, only available in '96 I've not seen another one painted in it, and it does look nice in the sun. Found it on this site

I didn't intend on a total rebuild but I found a new TD5 chassis for 500quid so it had to be done.

11. classic2cv

classic2cv Member

West Yorkshire
    I wouldn’t normally drive a Landover but I’d drive that one

Looks like you could drive it anywhere :D

great work :clapping:

12. ghound

ghound Member

norn iron
    I love a good landy, but it's hard to keep momentum on a big project like this one, so well done.
    I haven't had a landy in a few years, but i ended up with another one!
    It didn't need much work though, new clutch, rear member and a coat of paint.
    The kids will have some fun when i fit the canvas roof next spring.

10092009438.jpg

02102009462.jpg

02102009463.jpg

• 07102009477.jpg
  13. Chipper Member

Nice ghound, ex-mil?
    Must confess I've got very fed up with it at times, these days I don't seem to have the time spare, it's gone much longer than hoped. Gettin' there slowly though :whistle:

14. ghound

ghound Member

norn iron
    yes it's ex-mod, 74000km, 2.25 petrol engine is sweet as a nut.
    Set me back all of £500.... cheap fun:D

I have had project landys before, never finished them!

15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

With that 2.25 engine you'll need the rest to be cheap. We used to get 12mpg out of them if we drove carefully and 8 to 10mpg otherwise no matter how sweet they were. :(

16. Matt the sign

Matt the sign Member

Kent England
    Ooohh ooohh, is this turning into a show us your landrover picture thread :laughing:

Meet Meester Moose:

• DSC_0356.jpg
  17. Shox Dr

is that @ Driffield Matt. Just up the road from me

18. Matt the sign

Matt the sign Member

Kent England
    No, that was in the main arena at this years Billing show

19. Shox Dr

Got you, only been to Billing once, the yr you needed a canoe and snorkel

20. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Thats why is called Billing Aquadrome I reckon, I live about 3 miles away from there, the river Nene runs right through the middle of the park, in 1998 the whole park was under water when the river burst its bank, folk had to be rescued from the caravans by boat.

Advertisements