Landy project

1. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Sure is. What I didn't realise is the whole area is a breach flood plain to protect Milton Keynes:o

2. Chipper Member

Drained the brakes and changed the rear flexi. Had a comedy accident involving push-me-pull-you spanners, and one flipping off and pinging me in the eye :laughing: Cut the eyebrow too (so I rolled around the floor for several minutes Premier League stylee). Had to chop the hose. Rear shocks mounted.

Exhaust hassles. One stud is larger than the others. A peek shows a PO has tacked all 3 studs onto the fanimold (cast iron). Inevitably one pulled out.
    I've JB welded the sucker in for now, see if that lasts at all (did once fix a Renault cyl head with it, that lasted 2 yrs, and then 'twas the ally that turned to dust not the JB).

Seat frames repainted, seat bases done ready for cushions+covers.

Decided to re-locate the back lights, back to their rightful place (lower bit of tub) which would leave holes o'course. One lower had the original holes (and a fe bonus ones) but the other none - sanding back, a familiar smell arose... filler. One side was laden thick with plod. Nice job though, it was properly flat but hid a manky battered holey panel. Pic doesn't show how wobbly it is.
    [​IMG]

Chopped up some thin ally sheet to overlay the 4 back quarters. Top half had to go round the galv reinforcer plate, too much faff to take that one off but it's thin so still below the plate. Lower panel plate came off.

Panels stuck on with Tiger Seal. Thoughts of the hot hatch boyz and body kits, innit. Weapon. Etc. 8" silencer or £20 ebay "supercharger" is not expected to make an appearance anytime soon though.
    [​IMG]

Bought a book on electrickery in anticipation of rewiring. Got another welder, should be able to flog my old one making the new boy cheap.
    :welder:

That's probs it for a while, I've got to remove and strip my bike engine.

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

VWP is good source for wiring bits at reasonable prices.

4. nice work i like how you make all your replacement panels insted of buying them :D

"built not brought" its the way forword :laughing:

5. Chipper Member

Cheers, would be more cash to buy all the missing bits or hassle to cut/weld in fixes, so hey ho... DIY it is ... :laughing:

6. i never got that precise with my landy looking back i regret abusing it off road it looked soo good before all the dents ans i mean realy bad dents but then i killed it hiting a tree not a strate panel left on it :(

7. Chipper Member

Unable to work on the Landy due to my bike hoovering up £s and time like it's going out of fashion... which is bothering me lots. But my other half has foam'd and covered my seat bases:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look good I reckon though might be biased... chuffed with that.
    We're having 3 across the front. They mount with brass cleats (chopped from Roman Blind ones) and wing nuts, with rubber-faced ally angle to handle side-to-side and back/front location. Forgot to vent the bases though so need to do that.

8. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Hockley, Essex
    Your 'other half' has done a very nice job, I think

9. Chipper Member

It's been a while, various domestic disasters stopping play. But finally got a little bit done lately.
    Re-wired the back end and fixed the dead headlights. The smoke's stayed in ( so far), a minor miracle... lectricks not my fave thing.
    Made edge pieces from angle for the upper tub, bonded & rivetted on. Hopefully get the plates and back primered and plates mounted during the week. Quite pleased with the tub, it was beaten to hell and full of holes before, with a half inch of plod over the lot.
    [​IMG]

While waiting around I mucked about making some plaque/badge things for summat to do. Made a couple for my bikes, so thought I'd make one for this. Metal discs and cheap jewellery hacked about, bit of paint etc. One'll get mounted somewhere, sometime, possibly, who knows. Not me.
    Holesaw some discs, weld chopped bolt in one, polish on pillar drill.
    [​IMG]
    Try some stuff
    [​IMG]
    Mini flames and mini camo-ish
    [​IMG]

10. Robotstar5

Shouldn't you have screw on lenses on a lightweight? :whistle:

11. Chipper Member

Later ones had bug-eye lights I b'lieve, but this is not one for rivet-counters;)

12. MM6CMC Busy knocking off the slag....

Scotland
    Sorry, but fanimold makes me laugh every time. :laughing:

13. Chipper Member

Back end now in epoxy & high-build 2k primers.
    Made a channel for the (civvy) tailgate, original is broke in half/coming off so removed what was left.
    Fold "footing" bits first-
    [​IMG]
    Clamp, wield no.1 adjusting tool with some flat as a buffer-
    [​IMG]
    Ready for fixing on-
    [​IMG]
    Not rocket science or anything but should tidy the gate up a bit.

14. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Mine has the screw on lights and it's 1971.

15. Chipper Member

Got a nice ex-mil canvas s/h. Bit of fixing needed but 'er indoors will sort that.

Nailed the galvy brackets and tailgate channel on. Painted up the back end but had a bit of a 'mare with the gun, causing a mess. It'll have to do.
    [​IMG]

Dash panel is stripped and primered, some dodgy wires fixed.
    Wiring, my personal nightmare...
    [​IMG]

16. Robotstar5

I know how you feel, the 6 way lighting switch on military LR's doesn't help! eventually traced the problem on my Lightweight to the infrared headlamp switch.

17. Chipper Member

^ thankfully haven't got one 'them, I'd be stuffed!

Dash reassembly started. Strip + apply redeneck chrome.
    Gauge bezels & needles painted.
    Ig'n bezel polished up. Cheaper than a new switch and chrome is banned also.
    [​IMG]

Painted the Magnalite indicator housing, steering column got a quick brush job.

Wasn't going to do the steering wheel but the boss was bent and crusty so once that was sorted the gouned & flakey wheel was shown up. Sand, fill, prime, sand, stopper, sand, prime, sand, paint. What a pain in the @rse.
    [​IMG]

18. Chipper Member

Picked up a pair of saveable mil headlights for an excellent price, chuffed with that.

Was going to get the local blacksmith to straighten the spare wheel bracket, but made one instead. Spare rod from either a car seat or exercise bike. 3mm plate, bit beefier than original, but free...
    [​IMG]

Decided to extend one of the heater pipes as it barely pokes past the bulkhead. Brass offcut tube was too small an ID, so made a Thing out of more exercise bike steel with drill+grinder. Poke Thing down tube, belt with hammer. Other end flared as a hose retainer.
    [​IMG]

19. weldingscotty803

weldingscotty803 what you staring at??????????

loving it chipper. what paint you using for the body work? black and green one. i'm doin my suzuki santana (i know) in olive green.

20. Chipper Member

Cheers Scott, body stuff is synthetic enamel, cheap as chips. 5 litres of the NATO green was less than 50 squid delivered (Frank Burberry, found him on Milweb website, can dig his number if any use). Santanas are supposed to be good things aren't they? We did think of one for muddy fun.

Advertisements