Which CUT50P.... aka which UK based eBay seller? Or suck it up and buy Stahlwerk...

1. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

:doh:

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Surely true
    There are machines more efficient than others
    You to have consider to many things when you try to calculate the power of a machine
    An example I have a 250A welder ,it has his 16A plug because I use it for home and outside works , but if I will need to use it all the day at maximum output (reaching the duty cycle of 60%) I should put a new powercord and a 32A plug if not even a 64A plug because it needs something like 45A at full power
    Fortunately it's a PFC machine so it change his cos φ depending of the situation
    You can drain more power from the breaker for some minutes if it's not a to much inductive charge

3. Tangledfeet

@Memmeddu

The :doh: was at you; I'm with @zx9 in that I don't follow your logic!

Look at the specification for the Stahlwerk and it clearly states 16A supply and 60 % at 50 A / 100 % at 38 A...

4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Are you sure that there are not some leaks
    Can you try to make a dedicated line only for welder and plasma cutter using much thicker cables and breaker ?
    Something like 6mm² cables and a 25A breaker ?
    If you calculate that generally the output of a cut 50 is 94V and 50A ,you put out almost 5kVA so you need to give to the plasma more than 5kW to allow it to transform 230V in to the output values

5. Tangledfeet

@Memmeddu Okay, I can see where you're coming from now.

I suppose that the Stahlwerk, as with most electrical power output specifications for most products, is in ideal laboratory conditions...

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Try to make a dedicated line that is important also to preserve the integrity of the other cable

7. Tangledfeet

Email reply from Stahlwerk would indeed support your comment, @Memmeddu

Thanks for the mail, we are happy to help.

The UK adapter has only one 13 A fuse installed at the factory. You are welcome to exchange them with a proper UK plug. Otherwise you will always need a 16 A type C (lazy) house fuse. An A or B is absolutely unsuitable for plasma cuttings.

Please note that no other power consumers are allowed to run with this fuse. Make sure that especially the compressor or the light in the room runs not over this line. As you describe the error we think that there another power consumers run oer the line.

The display has changed slightly during transport. Display performance has nothing to do with the actual output power. Accordingly, the device outputs the full power. Even if the display shows "only" 47A.

This may also vary to a certain extent. This can easily be readjusted when the device is opened and cleaned the next time. Just follow the cable from the display. This goes to the board where a small pot is placed next to it. There you can adjust the display.

Shall investigate over next few days!

Memmeddu likes this.
  8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

They keep mentioning fuse rather than breaker, I wonder if that could be the difference? A 16 Amp breaker, even a C type will likely trip long before a slow blow 16Amp fuse will and that is, I think, what their specs call for.

Tangledfeet and Memmeddu like this.
  9. Tangledfeet

Interesting point, @Hood - I honestly thought that fuses were seldom used these days! But then Stahlwerk do also refer to 'A' and 'B' types too...

I'm far from an electrical expert!

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes they do in the email, so maybe they are just mixing terminology.
    Next time you are passing you could bring it in and we could shove it on the 32 Amp 3 phase socket and see how it does.

Edit and before you get panicky I am meaning utilise one live and the neutral and not shoving 415v through it :D

11. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Let's imaging what could happen if shoving 415V through it :D

Poor little rectifier bridge

Now seriously as you said , it's possible using a 3P+N+PE plug that if you have only three phase sockets around
    Isn't easier to use a proper 32A 230V plug and socket ?
    I have to do with a buzz box in the future and use some adapters

12. Tangledfeet

Might well take you up on that, October maybe - cheers!

13. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

On October I could be dead (I have to surgery) try to do that before October because I can't die without knowing how it goes

slim_boy_fat, Tangledfeet and Hood like this.
  14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I don't have any 32 Amp single phase sockets, I don't need them as the majority of my machines are 3 phase and it is easier just shoving a 3 phase 5 pin on a machine than wiring in a new socket.

Memmeddu likes this.
  15. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No probs, just make sure you PM first just in case I am not going to be there. A new Cheetah Cat will be arriving sometime in the next few weeks and I will be spending most of my time up the road fitting it out.

Memmeddu and Tangledfeet like this.
  16. Tangledfeet

LOL - best of luck for the surgery @Memmeddu !!!

You'll have something to look forward to when you wake up... :hug:

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Should be something quick and with high success percentage but ,I've been never thought surgery before so I can't know if the anesthesia can kill me
    I hope that it goes well because I have to many things to do before to pass away.
    Get and hack a plasma cutter
    Get a buzz box and hack to make a gouger
    Get or make a lathe
    Get or make a mill drill
    Make a rotary phase converter
    Drive a Delta integrale or a stratos
    Make my own family
    I'm only 20 years old too young I guess

Tangledfeet likes this.
  18. Tangledfeet

Had no idea! Thought you were older.

Memmeddu likes this.
  19. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

You are not the only one that supposed I was older ...
    Essentially I do like the metal fabrication since I was 3 or maybe 4 years old (I did even build a cardboard stick welder at the times) so now that I can I do that for hobby , because I'm an electromechanic and electrician in the real life .
    I do study a lot about how the things work because if I know how they work I can repair them .
    I am not a rich guy so I try to make my own tools
    I know that I'm little bit insane but I'm young and doing that makes me happy so

20. Tangledfeet

@Memmeddu

I can see your thinking now and I can see that the supply in the garage is the weak link. There's a 6mm2 32A cable from the house main consumer unit out to the garage but the cabling from the garage consumer unit to the 16A 'commando' socket right next to it is only 2.5mm2 - a short length of only 300mm at most. I think my first task will be to upgrade that from the 2.5mm to 4.0mm2...

image%3A9802.jpg

skotl and Memmeddu like this.
Advertisements