Which CUT50P.... aka which UK based eBay seller? Or suck it up and buy Stahlwerk...

1. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

2. pondy

pondy Member

I swapped the generic Pt31 torch to a sg55 torch on my r tech 30 plasma after having alot of cutting quality issues and the difference was night and day. Quality was much better, cut slightly thicker steel faster and didn't eat consumables any more

Tangledfeet likes this.
  3. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

The torch that came with mine is an AG-60 / SG-55 torch; glad getting one made a positive difference!

Well... had another play this evening and working out what amps (Chinese one, obvs) I could get up to with the plasma running before the 16A breaker in the workshop tripped. I also tried charging the compressor fully and then turning it off at the wall to see if it kicking in midway through a cut a difference; turned out that it didn't seem to.

It seems that my CUT '50' is, with my 16A supply, actually a CUT 30; enough to cut 6mm mild steel without tripping the breaker - my torch technique the limiting factor on edge finish! Air regulator set to 5bar, and dragged the torch along a wooden edge - the cutting tip still fine after numerous cuts so @gaz1 inferred the 'spit-back' was gumming up the tip last night, not through lack of air pressure but through the clearance I'd created with the technique I was using.

I'd love to know what a much, much more expensive plasma cutter (Cebora, ESAB, Thermal Dydamics, Hypertherm, etc., etc.) can do from the same supply - I'm curious after @Memmeddu commented about voltages, etc. Guess it is the same as in most things in life, tools in particular.

Do I regret buying it and spending circa' £100 over an eBay plasma..? Dunno... I have the warranty should the need arise. One pays one's money and taketh one's choice...

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. anto44

anto44 Member

My stahlwerk cut 50 will go to about 30 or 35 amps on the display on a 13 amp plug before the fuse blows, goes to 53 amps on the 16 amp plug and will sever cut 12mm no problem.

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Tangledfeet

I'm at a loss to explain why my experience is so different; out of curiosity I've just been out to plug mine in and see what it'll go up to on the 16A supply - 47A.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Try increasing air pressure to about 6 bar

7. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Theoricaly you could sever up to 18mm or even more
    But is the torch that makes the difference

8. Tangledfeet

Might this have an influence on the plasma tripping out at much more than 30A..?

9. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Seriously?
    This an important factor to me because 16A is all what I have , and I'm looking to get a plasma cutter

10. Tangledfeet

@Memmeddu Yes; the display shows 47A maximum.

11. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Unfortunately I can't say if is surely true but some manufacturers decided to put a chart on their cut50 with pressures and thickness ,so I believe that is possible increase the cutting deep by changing the air pressure

12. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Have you a picture of your plasma cutter?
    As I said up in the comments and in something like 5 topics I'm looking for a plasma cutter and I can take one in few weeks so it's time to make a choice between various models in the market

13. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I run my plasma full whack all the time but not sure what current it takes as it is on 3 phase and into a 32Amp socket. It is a dual voltage machine but I have never run it on single phase, not even sure what the data plate says the current requirements are for the 65Amps, will have a look and see. It is a transformer based plasma though so...

Tangledfeet and Memmeddu like this.
  14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Mine says 32Amps on single and 20 Amps 3 phase.

Memmeddu likes this.
  15. Tangledfeet

I've already posted photos, or are you saying you don't believe me that the display shows 47A maximum - it does?!

:dontknow:

16. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Nope far away from me to say that you are saying something false .
    I would like to see which model is because I need one and if I can get something that gives some amps more than another unit using 16A is way better to me

17. Tangledfeet

Memmeddu likes this.
  18. Tangledfeet

I've sent an email to Stahlwerk...

Two weeks ago I bought, directly from Stahlwerk, one of your CUT-50 ST plasma cutters - order #####.

I am unable to get anywhere near 50A from my 16A workshop supply (it has a Type C curve breaker) without the cutter tripping the breaker almost instantly; in fact the highest the display will show is 47A. It has a good supply of air from a brand new air compressor.

I am only able to cut at 30A without the breaker tripping after ten seconds or so; I am obviously disappointed to have bought a 50A plasma that I can only use at 30A!

What can you suggest or offer in the way of support - do I have a faulty machine?

19. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

You definitely need 32A
    I miss understood the previous posts
    Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed, everything is transformed

You have to stick with 30 output or change power supply to 32A (6 kW)

20. zx9

zx9 Member

I am not sure about your logic, the primary and secondary currents are not so directly related are they?
    As an example my 200A AC/DC inverter tig will run off a 16A outlet at or near to full power DC though I have to admit I have never tried it on AC at full power.
    That said I don't have a plasma cutter, are some of them less efficient?

Advertisements