Which CUT50P.... aka which UK based eBay seller? Or suck it up and buy Stahlwerk...

1. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I think to call a Canadian American is quite an insult, they hate being called it. I was out walking one day in the Lakes & was asked directions by a Canadian couple, luckily I got it right, but they told me there isn’t a lot of love between Canada & the USA

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

But the other way round would be a compliment :)

3. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Being an "Essex Boy" living in Norfolk the accents around here can be interesting to say the least, from the very Norfolk folk to those who have no accent at all.... Makes I laff!

Hood likes this.
  4. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Right... have spent the last hour cutting up bits of scrap between 1mm and 10mm in thickness; the latter nae chance - obviously!

I normally have the air compressor plugged into the 16A commando socket supply but it will, as it turns out, happily run off the 13A supply - however the plasma will trip out the same 16A supply above 35A or so when the compressor kicks in. Guess that's tipping point for what the workshop can handle. I can easily cut 3mm mild steel without anything tripping out; that's pretty much all I bought it for. Think I've already messed up the electrode so will be ordering consumables shortly!

slim_boy_fat, skotl and Hood like this.
  5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Oh yeah... plasma cutter - forgot about that!

Good stuff - glad you got it going :)

slim_boy_fat and Tangledfeet like this.
  6. Tangledfeet

And the casing is already off! Photos of inside to follow; had to get inside to tighten up the torch connection. Will also be replacing the Euro air connection at the back as it bleeds air, as did the one on the side of the air inlet.

7. Tangledfeet

image%3A7731.jpg image%3A7734.jpg image%3A7732.jpg image%3A7733.jpg

8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I find it strange that these 50Amp cutters struggle on 10mm when my 65Amp can do 28mm clean and 38 severance cut.
    I wonder if it is just the torch or if there is maybe something more to it such as power, even if the current is the same the voltage may be different and thus different power. Not even sure if that would make a difference or not.

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. anto44

anto44 Member

I have a sthalwerk cut 50 and a while back I got to have a play with a hyper therm powermax 45 and 45 amp on the powermax will cut way more than the cut 50 at 45 amp.

10. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

It's those Chinese amps again!

Hood likes this.
  11. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Essentially I thought the same
    Because is strange
    I know because I read somewhere that hypertherm units have something like 120V on load output voltage (that means a longer arc length) instead 95V on the cheap ones
    I think that there is something else , because hypertherm can cut 32mm at 45A severance cut
    Most Chinese unit can't even severance 12mm
    So I thought that also all the power management can be the solution
    So I think that using a thick power cord and an heavy socket
    Replacing switch , torch and ground leads something changes
    I am looking to buy a plasma cutter ,and I found a 50A unit that uses straight different torch and the seller says 25mm severance cut 21mm clean cut , that is interesting because is something different and relatively cheap

12. Turbo Member

But not all Chinese amps are equal, my Parkside plasma is only 40a but it cuts 10mm no problem.

Rig Pig, skotl and Memmeddu like this.
  13. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Ditto mine (thought it's a cut50)

We're back to that hoary old argument about "inferior chinese goods", which can minimise the point that many boards (or even entire units) are common across many manufacturers, from big-names to no-names.

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

True, but the quality of the components on that board depends on the company it's made for and how much they are willing to pay.

15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

16. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

skotl likes this.
  17. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I've not seen any suggestion that this is even possible - have you? I'm not trying to provoke an argument but I've looked into component and board supply from China (in units of hundreds and thousands) and have seen built boards being offered, and bespoke board building, but I've not come across a supplier who offers a bare board and building using components / tolerance of the buyer's choice.

Thinking about it, this would be a very expensive way to build boards and likely make the "cheap" boards more expensive than the standard. It would mean re-stocking of components on a per-buyer basis and ensure that assembly line is ready to receive that buyer's set of parts rather than the stock set. And the impact on quality would be undeniably significant, causing me to wonder why a fabricator would do this to themselves - they still need to address quality issues even on a wholesale basis.
    Feels a bit like the garage that has a sign saying "we don't fit parts supplied by the customer" because they'll end up taking the blame if the customer's part turns out to be faulty or incompatible.

18. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I think that in some cases the boards are the same identical ,but the change quality or even components to increase performance and make them unique of specific manufacturers
    A plasma cutter is always a plasma cutter been Chinese or not the board is similar because identical is the work that they must do
    That's my thoughts about

19. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

That's the bit I'm not convinced about - I doubt that they're changing components, unless they do it after they get the units delivered (which also seems unlikely).
    :dontknow:

Memmeddu likes this.
  20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Has anyone ever put a torch such as a Trafimet on one of these Chinese plasmas? If so did it cut any better or just the same?
    Still struggling to work out how 50 Amps can really only cut 10mm at a push.

Advertisements