Pilot arc CUT50 plama cutter

1. optima21 Forum Supporter

after reading this thread about running a plasma cutter from a 13A plug

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/can-i-cut-on-13amps.66649/#post-868580

I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161778007256

so my first impressions were on how short the leads were, the power supply lead is 75cm long, the torch lead is 2.5m long (including the torch) and the earth lead is just under 1.5m long.

The instruction book supplied was for a CUT 50 plasma without the pilot arc.

and here's what the inside looks like

DSC04377.JPG

it doesnt really show it in that picture but it looks like every cable connector is held together with glue from a hot glue gun.

I decided to ditch the earth lead supplied and used the one for my Tig welder, but as that has a large Dinse plug I got an adaptor for it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151764804618

and this is the pilot arc in operation

DSC00476.JPG

and the torch supplied is an AG60 torch, so consumables are readily available (on ebay at least).

it seems to work fine at 35A from a 13A plug, but blows fuses at 40A, so I started play with it set to 35amps. I did try with air pressures from 50psi to 70psi and found it was miles better at 50psi. at 70psi, its like the plasma was blown out and it would only work intermitantly, so reducing the pressure seemed to make it work better too. at 70psi it was struggling to cut 4mm thick steel but at 50psi it was cutting through 6mm steel.

I only really planned to get it for use for cutting metal upto 3mm thick, including rough cutting 0.9mm sheet steel before final trimming with some snips. the standard nozzle is 1.2mm wide for use upto 60 amps, so I've ordered some 0.9mm nozzles for upto 40 amps, so may produce a better cut on thinner section metal, but only time will tell.

I'll let you know how I get on with this later.

slightly off topic, but I was getting fed up with the number of hoses and cables I have, so I ended up screwing some large hooks into a beam in the roof of my garage, now they are easy to get to without getting tangled up. wish I'd done that years ago.

DSC00478.JPG

Dr.Al, Memmeddu, macandmoss and 2 others like this.
  2. anjum Member

Are these chinese cut50s getting more reliable now?

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

heres my photos for the cut 50 ive got some extended ones if you want a couple to try with optima21

ive had mine at 40 amps cutting 10mm

20160807_180848.jpg 20160807_174652.jpg

Memmeddu and optima21 like this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I was thinking exactly that. Having (unfortunately) gained first hand knowledge of my cut50s innards, optima's machine looks largely similar.

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive got a painted angle iron 1, 1/2" handy and i tend to use it for a straight edge due to its size i can hold it and cut down its edge its what ive been using alot with straight lines im getting the hang of other things as well so i can do most stuff free hand

even let my daughter have a go of it as well today she wants to play more times as well

6. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Great report on the cutter but how did you manage to screw the 2nd hook of the pair into the joists :confused: and even more puzzling is to get them level.

7. optima21 Forum Supporter

these are the hooks I used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191544266853

if you twist the first hook round 45 to 90 degrees,there is enough space for the second one to pass.

DSC00482.JPG

then its just the final turn

DSC00483.JPG

its a bit like the blades in a food mixer missing one another

123hotchef and Windy Miller like this.
  8. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Doh!!! its so simple i could,nt work out how they would pass each other..i must of been thinking too hard:D

9. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    That's EXACTLY what I was wondering!

10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

with optima and I living so close could see how both boards match up too each other and take photos of them for the forums

The instruction book supplied was for a CUT 50 plasma without the pilot arc.

oh i could get a nice photo copy of that book for myself :laughing:

skotl likes this.
  11. optima21 Forum Supporter

sounds like a plan......you show me yours and I'll show you mine :laughing::laughing:

gaz1 and skotl like this.
  12. Johnnybravo Member

Any further thoughts on this now that you have had a bit more time to play with it? Thinking of getting one,just wondering how you were getting on with it?

13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i thought it was let you play with it first

for my play been using it more than i thought and cut loads so far with it was it worth the price i paid for it yes but only if your cutting enough gear with it, if its just for a one off use then no its not worth it by the time you have to get the air compressor and rest of the gear

Advertisements