Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

My boyfriends in the army as I said earlier and he's got all his adr's minus adr 7.
    He said adr only covers 3modules and to get cpc you've got to do 5modules so would still have to sit a couple cpc modules to pass it
    Kim

2. KimB

KimB Member

It's all a bit confusing. I've not got a clue to be honist. I just need to get my cpc card. :)

3. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Kim. Sorry, it was not my intention to nag or confuse you.:ashamed: You stick to what you're comfortable with.;) Again, well done.

Colin

4. KimB

KimB Member

That's okay ☺️ I'll let you off this time hehe.
    Thanks again
    Kim

5. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

What I found odd was Mrs Robo (PCV driver) can do the same module twice over the 5 years and it counts as 2 modules towards the CPC :dontknow: doubt if you could do the same module 5 times though :laughing:

6. SmartWerks

SmartWerks pre-moderated

What is the bulkhead made from?

As for hgv, its been a joke for many years now. I seen what was happening with cheap migrant drivers so done my adr as i thought that would cover me! No, still got replaced as i wouldn't take a £200 a week pay drop. They want you to do nearly 70 hours a week, away most nights and all that for £400 a week. That was enough for me after 10 years. It's fun in the beginning and I liked to work nights, much easier but your sleeping alone most of the time so a big cost on your relations with your luved one. Also cabin fever does start to creep in and change how you are, that much time on your own with stress from every angle has effects. Funny thing is I was warned before i done mine, we think it's an easy way to earn money but at what cost?

7. colnerov

colnerov Member

Yes, you can. When I did my first one we were having a break and a guy came in asking questions about his previous days module, on driving hours, to make sure he had got it right. The trainer advised him if he wasn't confident he understood it, to repeat the module until he did. It is not tested, no pass or fail, just attendance. It is all very informative because the "script" doesn't take up all the 7 hrs, plenty of time for war stories and raising questions about specific circumstances in your workplace.

Colin

8. excossack Member

Would you have an pictures of the top of the bulkhead where the windscreen frame meets? I have to repair mine and some pictures would help. Mine has rusted through on the corner by the mirror/below the windscreen frame

Good luck with the work.

9. KimB

KimB Member

Which side inside or outside ?
    image.jpg image.jpg

10. excossack Member

Outside, looking at front side (as if you are standing at the front of the car looking towards the landy)

11. KimB

KimB Member

Here you go

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  12. excossack Member

Thanks that helped a lot. I wasnt sure if it was a single skin between the outer bulkhead and inner. Oh well....welding time for me in the summer.

KimB likes this.
  13. KimB

KimB Member

So not really had a chance to get much done recently. I ordered a load of bits and pieces and have been trying to work out what I'm doing with parts paint wise and galvanising etc.

I spent about 30mins prepping the bulkhead for the shot blasters today image.jpg
    I think I'm going to get the bulkhead zinc plated as I'm worried about it warping. Especially after all the work I've got to do, the blaster guy gave me a run down on how it works and showed its pretty durable or what seamed equally as durable as galvanising without the worry of warping, I think if I waxoil up the door pillars and drill a hole around where the dash goes and fill it there also. That will protect it and keep the rust at bay I imagine.
    What's everyone's thoughts of zinc plating over galvanising ? Warping is the biggest worry for me.

14. Well if you leave a bzp bolt and a galvanised bolt outside the , zinc plated one will start to rust first . I presume your bulkhead will be zinc sprayed ? In which case any voids won't be covered :dontknow:. But like you say they can be waxoyled.
    If it's blasted then zinc sprayed then painted I think it will be a good job , it's either that or you make a frame to hold everything in shape then hot dip galv the lot ??
    Decisions decisions :whistle:
    Cheers MIke

15. harryb94 Member

Can't add much about zinc plating vs galving but companies such as ash tree seem to be churning out galv'd bulkheads so it must be doable without it warping? But in terms of the waxoil after doing a bit of reading it doesn't sound like a great idea on metal that's already rusting because you're then just covering over it and you can still get problems, happy to be proven wrong about that it's just what I read.
    Also on a side note if those pedal box gaskets are in reasonable shape keep them because last time I was looking for some I seem to remember the cheapest I could find was some ridiculous price like 20 or 30 quid

16. KimB

KimB Member

I was going to zinc plate, then two coats of spray primer then maybe three coats of nato green and on the underside I was going to underseal it with a durable black paint which I've not worked out yet :)
    Kim

17. KimB

KimB Member

Already gone now, I'll make some up easy enough :) could always use gasket paper and sealant I guess or I'll source some blank gasket stuff like oem

18. harryb94 Member

I used an old innertube which seemed to work well as it has a bit more thickness to it :)

KimB likes this.
  19. KimB

KimB Member

Brilliant idea, I've got loads around :)

20. awemawson Forum Supporter

I had a rather rusty but very solid (3 mm plate) trailer grit blasted and zinc sprayed over 20 years ago. I still have the trailer, and apart from the floor where I've dragged loads of rubble over it over the years it is still rust free. I sprayed two pack over the zinc to stop it washing off in acid rain and it's really lasted well.

I do still have a Metco zinc spraying gun but haven't used it in a long time. Basically it's an oxy-acetylene flame with a nozzle that has an 1/8" hole up the middle. An 1/8" zinc wire is pushed through the hole by a serrated wheel driven by an air turbine and melts in the flame and is splatted onto whatever you are coating. By adjusting the flame and the pressure of the compressed air running the turbine you can get the individual zinc bits very small, almost dust, so the surface is matt rather than truly rough.

As the globules of zinc impinge on the surface they mechanically lock together and to the surface which needs to be fairly rough - grit blasting is ideal as preparation. I've even sprayed wooden models to look like solid zinc - an amazing process.

KimB likes this.
Advertisements