Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

That's great to hear, I was thinking after zinc plating to do 2 layers of etch primer, then 3 coat's of 2 pack polyester paint on it after. That should make it and all the underside parts last forever if I keep on top of waxoiling it :) at least I think it will ?

2. KimB

KimB Member

Off topic again but I passed my cpc module 2 today for the LGV/HGV which is great. On the way home my luck run out however, turbo went on my little car another job to do!! What a nightmare.
    Should be fixed by the time I need to get my bulkhead back however.

3. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Well done on the pass.

Borrow the turbo off the Landy? :D

4. KimB

KimB Member

That needs replacing also :doh::vsad:
    Thanks though :)

5. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone,

I've not really go anything done yet, been planning a bit. I collected the bulkhead today from the shot blasters.
    I've only got a couple photos as I was in a rush but it's in a bad way :(
    As someone advised me I will be doing the main bits like both footwells and the one door pillar on the car, the rest will be done off as the weather isn't great recently.
    Just need a nice day, Sundays looking pretty good :) I plan on taking it back next week to get it zinc plated. I've decided it's not worth the risk of warping, Ill just make a hole to allow me to wax oil the box section around the dash area. While that's off I'll strip the rest of the car and begin prepping the suspension parts and painting it all up ready to refit to the new chassis when I get it in the next month or so I hope :)
    I've also got to rebuild the gearbox and transfer box and put all new seals on :) No more leaks for Lou :D
    Hopefully be allot more photos in the next week.
    Kim
    IMG_1399.jpg IMG_1400.jpg IMG_1401.jpg

6. lchris21

lchris21 Member

nice work.....rust, don't you just love it !!!

7. KimB

KimB Member

Well, started work on the bulkhead today. I hated it ha, started at about 12 today, don't feel as though I got a whole lot done. Spent an hour getting everything out ready and then a while trying to figure out the best way to go about removing all the old panels and replacing them. I only managed to replace one whole footwells and the door pillar on the same side.
    I was really nervous about the bulkhead twisting, it helped allot being on the chassis I think, I've still got sole welding to do on the passenger footwell but it's almost complete.
    Anyway enough blabbing, here's some photos :)
    Bulkhead on, to save my back I lifted on corner, slid a bolt through then just swung it round and bolted the other side. It enabled me to do it alone.
    image.jpg
    This is before really doing anything other than running s cutting disk down the side of the footwell (left of the photo next to the door shut) then preparing to cut straight accross the top to save opening up the box section behind the dash area.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Paper mâché anyone ?
    image.jpg
    Below you. An see the two welds I did, I couldn't get into it with the grinder on the old welds, I decided to cut trough the foot well as far as I could then from the underside I followed the line checking once I was through the second part of the weld. Like the rest of it I prised it apart with a screwdriver after :)
    image.jpg
    Began removing the door shut as I was satisfied the bulkhead was held strong enough with the footwell in place.
    I was careful not to knock it once removed.
    image.jpg
    Old door shut out, new one lined up and cut to size, I then drilled a load of holes matching the previous one for plug welds. unfortuantly the panel seemed to be folded in slightly the wrong place on the tab running the whole length of the panel in the engine Bay Area. I had to cut it off as j didn't want to start trying to bend the footwell about to compensate.
    image.jpg
    Began welding everything up carefully and moving around allot to not warp anything.
    image.jpg
    It's not the prettiest but Its nicely penetrated :O I think. Still have a couple small holes to patch up but mostly done there.
    image.jpg
    Not all that pretty and still a load of welding needed but it's getting there.
    image.jpg

I'm a bit bummed How little I got done but it's a start I guess. It's been a really tiring day. I'll start again tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
    P.s sorry it's been so long Since I really got anything done.
    Kim

Rig Pig and mr migwire like this.
  8. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Remember Kim it takes a lot longer than you think as i said before just keep at it
    bit at a time walk away if you get fed up
    always another day all the best

9. KimB

KimB Member

True, just I'm impatient and hard on myself.

10. DrNik

DrNik Heath Robinsons long lost son

Why isn't there a "Kim" inside my missus......

11. KimB

KimB Member

Because I'm heterosexual? Lol

julianthegypsy, EddyP, pondy and 5 others like this.
  12. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Oooh er Missus! :ashamed:

KimB likes this.
  13. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    good comeback

14. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone :)

Spent all of today working on Lou again.
    got a bit done, hopefully tomorrow I'll have all of the rot cut out and maybe all re plated, if not there won't be much work to do after tomorrow I'm hoping.

Today I started by patching the holes I didn't get time to do yesterday. Cut out this little patch
    image.jpg
    Spot welded it in.
    image.jpg
    Took a thick grinding wheel to it to find low spots, I then tacked in them and did the same until the survice was flat and I didn't have to thin the metal out and be left with nothing! Wasn't going to do that again :doh:
    image.jpg
    If you were wondering why I left a tab over hanging in the hole it was to hole saw it :) to find the centre I used the hole saw and began screwing the centre drill into the saw which left a little indent and I drilled a pilot hole as you can see
    image.jpg
    Finally I sorted the hole and debured the edges :) I was really pleased as I did the whole patch in no more than 15mins and cleaned the top weld for the door shut.
    image.jpg
    Still allot more blending and flattening out to do but I was pleased how nice I managed to get it all to line up :D
    image.jpg

I appear to have forgotten to take some photos but after finishing the passenger side footwell I moved to the otherside :(
    Instantly hated my life hehe. It wasn't much fun and I forgot to drill the under side spot welds so to make life easier I drilled all of the spot welds down the door pillar then I just cut straight down the other side and decided it would be easier to use mole grips as tin openers essentially and just pealed the metalwork back finding the spot welds and very carefully cutting them with a cutting disk
    image.jpg

Once I prepared it so the footwell could be welded in I was a bit unsure what to do. I asked on a Facebook group I'm on...
    image.jpg

Then no more than two mins later I just cut it all out :D
    image.jpg

I'll contonue bellow :)

• image.jpg
    balmerchris likes this.
  15. KimB

KimB Member

I was thinking of the best way to patch it up to as close as standard as possible.
    I decided to patch the big square hole in the front first, I just tacked this in place then inside the box section there is a plate the whole length which has bent up sides into what I'd describe as a low sided 'u', I copied this and welded that into place. It was very difficult welding underneath and very hard to see.
    (Sorry how dark it is)
    image.jpg
    After this I began making (and not very well I should add) the peice which braces the box section to the upper footwell, this area also has a small flange for spot welding together. It was a pain and what I spent the last hour of today doing. I do wish I had a sheet bender and it would've made it allot easier but oh well, made do :)
    image.jpg
    I'll straigbten up the flange area tomorrow and weld in the footwell, once that's in I'll do the small patches around the wire hole.
    image.jpg

It's not pretty but I'll straighten it out tomorrow and when it's done and removed I'll clean all the welds 100%.
    image.jpg

Hope you all enjoy :)
    Kim x

balmerchris likes this.
  16. Richard.

Richard. Member

Nice project Kim that would take years for me to complete given the limited day light hours at the moment and a stupid day job that absorbs too much of my time. Looking good though. The thin metal welding technique is working quite well for you there. You might say it looks ugly but in reality it doesn't get to look a lot better than that so nicely done.

17. awemawson Forum Supporter

A lot of work there Kim, well done :)

KimB likes this.
  18. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks Richard, it will be fine when I grind it of and go over with a flap disk :) just all very carefully off course.
    I wanted to get it all done before summer but I think once I actually get it fully disassembled getting parts in time will be the real pain.

19. barracuda816 Member

Kim have you heard of jotun 87?

I am using it to protect my project, It is rated below the waterline for 10 or 15 years (cant remember off the top of my head). Its a 2k epoxy primer so no need for etch as it sticks better.

I dont have any long term experience of it but it is rated very highly in the marine world.

20. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Damn clever idea of leaving the tab for the holesaw :cool:

Advertisements