Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

Not done any good work yet hehe

2. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

All i could suggest is build a frame or brace it,then i would repair the major rot spots in series to maintain as much integrity as possible.

Good luck

KimB likes this.
  3. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

start by cleaning all the rust off to see how much more rust there is
    the parts you have are only a approximate fit you need to trim or add too to fit
    my way would be bolt bulkhead back on chassis brace screen back to chassis do one footwell at a time start with the one with least rot

4. KimB

KimB Member

Good idea, I'll do the big panels and tack them in place then start on the small areas and tack them in. I think then if I begin welding everything up and welding around slowly in different areas to dispurce the heat evenly :)

5. Bigjoe Moved to the country!

Sounds like a plan,as octo said its worth stripping the whole bulkhead to see the extent of the rot and repairs etc .

KimB likes this.
  6. KimB

KimB Member

Thinking about it I think I'll do that with the footwells and the small areas I'll repair of the vehicle.

7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

if you are scrapping the chassis just cut it off in front of the bulkhead out riggers and behind the gearbox mounting then you can do it inside and easy to make a brace to screen using chassis as well

8. harryb94 Member

Don't know how much experience you've had welding stuff like this, but I found it better to start with bits like the footwells where it isn't so obvious and leave the corners etc till last, the corners I found took a fair bit of fettling to make them look right since they're always seen and the experience i got from doing other bits first helped :)

9. KimB

KimB Member

To be honist i wouod rather not do that yet. Still a rolling chassis. I'll do it outside in one day hopefully, at least he footwells then the rest inside with some bracing

10. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    if you have the new chassis, use that as a build frame,

11. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Nice to see another rusty Landrover being sorted, I'm hiding in my warm workshop through the winter, the Landrover can wait till the spring!

KimB likes this.
  12. KimB

KimB Member

Not 110 related but been a bit quite this last week because I've been doing my HGV :) passed first time today so after I sort some odds and ends I've got to do tomorrow I can start back on lou. Either this weekend or Monday I'll begin welding it up :)

Rig Pig likes this.
  13. Norm Member

congratulations on passing your HGV well done, :clapping:

KimB likes this.
  14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

congrats on passing your LGV now you will learn how to drive

come on kim it's LGV hgv was years ago so CPC next and tacko card after you start driving heavies nights away etc you will have no time to build landys

15. KimB

KimB Member

I know but everyone today was saying HGV so meh lol same difference!
    I've done a load of licences already so can drive :)
    Got my taco card, need to just do cpc.
    Also I have my own business so just wanted it as something to fall back on, I may do a couple days a week but nothing more at the moment I don't think.
    Kim

16. awemawson Forum Supporter

But at least she'll be able to afford the bits !

Well done Kim :)

KimB likes this.
  17. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

they are screaming out for LGV drivers at the mo but it,s just a rat race now you are treated like sh--e lower class etc having to be a point A at 6 am leaving yard at 2am to be a point a at 6 am doing the impossible every day
    been there done it had the T shirt and gave it back used to be owner driver running 3 artic units
    but in 1986 diesel was only 29.9 pence a litre

SmartWerks likes this.
  18. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Kim, congrats on the HGV what class did you get? I got mine 25 yrs ago as some thing to fall back on. I have never had to use mine in earnest. Unfortunately as others say the game is dead now, but don't be put off by us moaning. I hope it works out for you. FWIW if you don't already know, Instead of a CPC course do an ADR one, it counts towards your CPC plus it gives you another qualification.

Colin

19. KimB

KimB Member

Hey Colin,
    Thanks for the message. I did my class 2. Unfortunatly I'm sure it doesn't work like that. The only way to get a cpc card is to do it and not aloud to drive without it. Also got offered 30k a year to drive a rigid for a local company. My trainer knew their personal trainer and he said they would put my through my class 1 also. That was yesterday myself and the other guy were offered that.

Thanks
    Kim

20. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, Kim, yes it does work like that, I used to work for airfield operations at my local airport and they were reluctant to do our CPC courses because we did most of our driving airside. They gave in in the end and we did the first module 2 yrs ago, Then for reasons I won't go into here it was decided we needed an ADR to take the fuel bowser off the airfield to refill and operate it to refuel the snow and de-icer kit. They found out that a 3 day ADR course could be allowed against 3 CPC modules. I did the fifth module last spring and received my CPC card during the summer. Here,s a link to check for yourself -

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55084

Colin

Advertisements