Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

Hi again everyone :)

For Christmas my boyfriend gave me the car below, I'm doing a ground up restoration and changing it from a normal 110 pickup to a 110 high capacity pickup (HCPU) I've already got the body.
    We went and picked it up last Friday from the place he stored it which was an old model railway. His friend that was storing it for him and named it after one of the steam trains so he's now called Lou :).

I think it's worth mentioning the trouble we got into once there bearing in mind I live in London, I took his silver 110 to get the trailer, drove from mine to Tidworth (he's in the army) we left at 6-7pm Friday, we got to the car at 10pm and instantly got stuck with the trailer :doh:. We ended up stuck at the bottom of a Valey and spent the next 4hours winching ourselves out then winching the trailer up this horribly awkward windy road:ashamed:, it rained the whole day and was possibly the worst few hours of my life haha. At 2am we finally got unstuck and the car loaded on the trailer and went to get fuel and drive back to camp. Finally at 5.30am we got back to camp
    The first photo was when we left camp.
    IMG_1187.jpg IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.jpg IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1235.JPG

I got it to the state below on tuesday in one day which made me really proud of myself, I did ask allot of questions on the defender group on facebook however :)
    IMG_1245.JPG

liammcl likes this.
  2. KimB

KimB Member

So the next day I carried on, aching really bad however. I've got chronic back problems which didn't make it easy but I managed to remove a load more things. IMG_1247.JPG

Started by removing the pedal boxes and all the things needed to drive it :laughing:
    IMG_1249.jpg

After a bit of prodding I began to realise how rotten the whole thing was :( I know it needs a new chassis so will buy one when I'm ready to.
    IMG_1251.JPG

Bulhead removed and began removing hoses and things ready to remove the engine when I can.
    IMG_1254.JPG

Noticed the radiator and intercooler have had it also so will have to buy new ones at some point...
    IMG_1257.JPG

I got a bit disheartened yesterday removing everything I did, everything I took of seemed to need work.
    Will get it done eventually when I'm completely broke haha.

• IMG_1269.JPG
  3. Kayos

Kayos Member

I'm not in the slightest bit jealous, honest......

Looks an excellent project, have fun :)

KimB and Freddy0309 like this.
  4. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

looks like your going to have fun kim, I have a soft spot for landys. the pleasure you will get from rebuilding it and finally driving it will be worth the work, look forward to watching it progress.

KimB likes this.
  5. Freddy0309

Freddy0309 Member

no i'm not jealous either........ always wanted to do a nut and bolt rebuild on a 130

KimB likes this.
  6. KimB

KimB Member

I didn't do much today however. Had some things to do work wise so have been running around and working out what I'm going to do with the bulk head. I got a bit of steel foc from a local fabricating company which was nice in 1.2, 1.5 and 2mm thick.
    I went and got some better pictures of the bulkhead and decided it would be easier to replace both foot wells and one wing mounting section as you can see, It's all very rotten.

As you can see the top mount for the wing had rotten away and there was filler around the lower door hinge so I decided best to replace the whole lot :artist:
    IMG_1278.JPG

The footwells I ordered come up to the oval(ish) holes on both sides :)
    IMG_1281.jpg IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1284.JPG

It cost £106 next day delivered for the panels which wasnt too bad I don't think. I'll have them Tuesday and will try get stuff done next week but I've got allot on so not sure if I'll be able to. I'm a bit nervous about the bulk head as I've never done such big repairs but I will learn as I go along and if I need help I'll ask :D
    May need to finish making me small sheet bender I started, that will help make some of the panels I couldn't buy.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks guys, It will be fun once I don't have to spend loads of money like I do haha. I'd love to do a 6x6 build one day, that's both mine and my boyfriends dream :)
    Kim

8. Kent

Kent Member

Hey, don't replace anything that can be fixed -up! Land Rovers empty bank accounts if they get wind that's what you are willing to do - yeah, they blooming well know!

Saw that extension lead still coiled in use? thrown a few of them in the scrap bin

9. KimB

KimB Member

Hi Mr Kent
    I certainly won't! I'm going to be as stingy as possible but then if it needs something I'll do it obviously. I'm getting every steel component galvanised, It's worth it seeing as I'm getting a galvanized chassis.
    And yeah :) it was only a 115mm grinder running off it. :)

10. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I was stationed in Tidworth back in 82,and thats the best looking thing i've seen come out of that s**** hole:laughing:

KimB likes this.
  11. KimB

KimB Member

It's a bit depressing isn't it! Nice to get away and go off roading on the planes however :D we usually do that every time I'm there if we've got time.

mr migwire and Freddy0309 like this.
  12. Freddy0309

Freddy0309 Member

good fun up the plains, our landy group goes up there a fair bit theres also a few good lanes around as well

KimB likes this.
  13. KimB

KimB Member

There is :D There's a really tight one as you go by the parade ground near Bulford, hence the bush cables on the silver 110 :D

14. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I shall be interested in your progress, my son bought a V8 County on Christmas Eve, & I'm in the process of cutting out & replacing 2 of the door bottoms. The chassis is ok apart from 1 outrigger, but will watch your chassis change, you never know maybe one day we will have to do it.

The V8 has been fitted with full engine management, gas conversion, reprofiled cam & an Ashcroft auto conversion, so the previous owner spent a fortune on it.

KimB likes this.
  15. KimB

KimB Member

Oh my that's had allot done ! Mines all standard. Although I'm doing Discovery transfer box upgrade as I will be doing allot of towing and motorway miles. :)

16. Norm Member

If Carling made wives.......................:clapping::laughing: looking forward to watching this progress

julianthegypsy, slim_boy_fat and KimB like this.
  17. Before you do the disco transfer box "upgrade" think about what tyres you will be fitting when you finish it, 235/85 or 265/75 will give you around 10% taller gearing over 205/80's (depends what transfer box and tyres were fitted at the factory) any more and you may struggle on hills and pulling away with a trailer hooked up behind.

18. KimB

KimB Member

Thank you :)
    Me too! I just remebered if anyones windering why the hideous bumper is still on, well! some very silly person welded it to the chassis:doh:

19. KimB

KimB Member

I'm using the same wheels as on the silver defender, they are wolf wheels. Which I think are standard sizes.

20. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, a word to the wise, as you are replacing the footwells and 'A' posts on the bulkhead. Build it all on the chassis loosely and use the doors in conjunction with rear tub and footwell brackets to get it all lined up before welding it. When I did my series LR I managed to get a twist in the top part and didn't find out until it was all painted and I was trying to fit it all up and found the door tops didn't line up with the screen both sides. Good luck.

Colin

BarrieJ and KimB like this.
Advertisements