Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

What do I use after that primer then ? Working out the paints is becoming the biggest nightmare.

Aww you're just saying that [blushes]

2. barracuda816 Member

Depends of the finish required, bits you wont see/dont want a flawless finish i would;

Jotun 87 (2 layers) - 2k paint(as many coats as you fancy)

bits you do want a flawless finish;

either jotun 87 - good quality high build primer after the jotun is tacky. then 2k paint.

or jotun penguard hb, then 2k paint.

Jotun 87 is extremely hard so wont sand, so if you use a high build over it it allows you to sand that to get rid of the orange peel.

I haven't used jotun penguard hb but its supposed to be better for areas that you need a good finish (exterior of car body) but doesn't have the same protection as the 87 (underside of the car).

This has been something i have researched quite thoroughly but if there are any pro's that disagree i would be happy to hear their thoughts.

Also if you will be spraying yourself then you don't need an air-fed mask for the primer (it doesn't contain isocyanates) but you will if you paint it in 2k color paint.

lastly, 2k primer wont absorb moisture like single component will.

3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

nice work. its murder stopping after every bit of progress to take pictures innit :laughing:

4. KimB

KimB Member

I keep my phone in my pocket so just take some every now and again or when I'm texting :)

5. KimB

KimB Member

All a bit confusing for me atm, I may need to pm you next week when I'm ready to begin painting. If that's okay ?
    Kim

6. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone

Again today I've been working on the bulkhead, been in a bit of a downer all day so really not had any motivation and the fact that the drivers footwell wouldn't line up correctly got me really wound up. Spent over an hour faffing around with it.
    Got my 10l gas bottle refilled today for £42.50, I tell everyone the story (so you're all going to hear it hehe) the welding shop is called Barnet welding supplies, when I first went there they thought I was having them over because right next door is kimberly's motors, ironically my name is Kimberly Barnett lol always makes me laugh when going there.
    Anyway enough rambling, here some photos..!
    First four photos are just my progress up till now.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Anyway, swiftly started work after. As I said I began on the footwell thinking I'd get it done before 12 what actually happened is that I ended up still trying to line it up till 1, it just wouldn't fit properly!
    Finally got it so I was happy and tacked if in place
    image.jpg
    Then began welding the joints on the gearbox area, I bent these I'm because they were causing me allot of issues, then bent them out each tab at a time and tacked them. After I just began welding everything up
    image.jpg
    After welding up I decided to fill the hole where the loom goes through, messed around for a while but got it tacked together.
    image.jpg
    Got it all welded in but had to bend this little tab down to pull the seems flush together (if that makes sense)
    image.jpg
    So I decided to to drill a small hole on the other side so I could get a punch through and knock it flush and then tacked that in :) it's not pretty but I sttacked it with a grinder, carefully! Just took most of the sluggish weld out until later when Its all done.
    image.jpg
    After the last photo I decided it was time to move inside so moved all my rubbish and finally took the bulkhead off.
    I drilled out the spot welds on things like the wheel arch liners, the clutch pipe mount and some other things, I mounted the clutch pipe mount but didn't get a photo of it.
    image.jpg
    As you can see this is mostly what I need to do and both inner mounts for the windscreen. They'll be a huge pain I know it :(
    Anyway that's all I got done today. I think I'll take tomorrow of, I'm busy Friday but I'll continue at the weekend.
    Kim

7. KimB

KimB Member

Sorry about any grammar or wording issues, I've been uploading all the posts via my iPhone so it's a bit of a pain with a tiny box to type all of that.

mr migwire likes this.
  8. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    hope your grandma gets better?

9. KimB

KimB Member

Is that about my grammar post lol

10. barracuda816 Member

No problem, if you need any advice either pm or post it in this thread, i'm watching it with interest. You are doing a great job.

KimB likes this.
  11. awemawson Forum Supporter

I'm most impressed - keep up the good work :)

12. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks guys, it's nice some of you think so :)
    Kim

13. The Devils Reject

The Devils Reject is probably talking rubbish.

Well, it's progressing at a much more rapid rate than mine. Worked it out that I've been working on the 109 for 7 years now and it's still not finished :ashamed:

KimB likes this.
  14. KimB

KimB Member

Is it not finished simply because it's a defender or because you literally haven't finished it haha.

15. colnerov

colnerov Member

"It's never over with a Rover"

KimB likes this.
  16. KimB

KimB Member

I wish it was!
    I've taken the day off today from it as I've burnt the coloured bit of my eye. There's a small burn mark also, I'm going to the dr and just going to do some other things today.

17. awemawson Forum Supporter

Yikes that's not good. Do mean arc eye ie scratchy feeling like a bit of grit, or can you see physical damage? I'm VERY sensitive to hearing things like this - it makes my knees go all funny - having already lost one eye :(

18. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

I think if it was arc eye kim wouldn't be typing, you only get one pair of peepers look after them.....
    I have given up playing with landys for myself, I only do other peoples now, loving watching the build kim keep up the good work.

KimB likes this.
  19. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Does not sound like a case of arc eye to me. Full on arc eye pretty much writes the whole day off. Lights out , sunglasses , total pain. You've either got it very minor or maybe a spark got in there. Either that or us guys (me included) are just wimps with arc eye. :whistle:

mike os likes this.
  20. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, it's probably a bit late now, but don't bother with the doctor, go straight to AE. If it's shi...grit in the eye the Dr won't want to try and will just send you to AE. The hospital has dedicated eye dept,s and will sort it quickly. If it's arc eye I'm not sure what they can do, nothing probably, whenever I've had it I have just had it over night so a sleepless night and easy start to the day. I have heard that a cold tea eyewash helps, but as I am a coffee drinker I have no teabags in the house, so can't comment. Good luck.;)

Colin

Advertisements