Land Rover Defender 110 Rebuild

1. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone
    Thanks for the replies and advice. There is literally a burn on my eye, I can see it. And the dr couldn't believe it. They gave me drops. It's terribly uncomfortable. I got home and had to go straight to bed as anything I looked at made it feel like grit was in it. I did wonder if I had arc eye but I think it's just the burn causing the gritty feeling.
    What's worse is I got test tomorrow which is a pain and I can't get out of it:( Gonna eat and go back to bed ready for tomorrow in the hope it goes away
    Thanks again

2. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Good luck with the test & hope the doesn't give trouble

KimB likes this.
  3. The Devils Reject

The Devils Reject is probably talking rubbish.

I literally haven't finished it. Admittedly it was parked up unloved in a compound for about 3 years where nothing happened to it apart from some vandalism by the local yoofs and I regularly run out of funds and arsedness to do anything. It is getting there now though. A bit of bodywork to fettle, the electrics and the clutch to plumb in then it'll be time for an MoT :clapping:

KimB likes this.
  4. KimB

KimB Member

No excuses now! The plan is to have mine back on the road mid April, it will be dead standard other than some slightly changes for longevity of the vehicle. Then I'll put the extras j want on like air con, radio, electric windows, heated screen and mirrors etc

5. harryb94 Member

Makes me feel better about the series 2 I've had sat around for over a year 'rebuilding', got as far as stripping it down and that's about it, always seems to be something else that needs doing!

6. KimB

KimB Member

Look at my post for motivation then start giving yours

7. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

You already have air con, it's called land rover door seals (or lack of) :D

mike os, KimB and awemawson like this.
  8. KimB

KimB Member

My eyes been a pain today but I managed to pass my module 4 cpc :D I can drive for a living if I wanted woop so happy.
    Tomorrow I plan on trying to finish the bulkhead if I can

mike os likes this.
  9. colnerov

colnerov Member

congratulations, well done. All systems go now!!

KimB likes this.
  10. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

congratulations Kim on your test
    leave the landy alone for a few days you will make your eye worse
    remember you only get two eyes

11. awemawson Forum Supporter

Congratulations on passing the test :clapping:

Is now perhaps the time to review your protection while welding?

I assume that you have a wrap around auto darkening helmet? I used to have problems with light coming in from behind the helmet, and also occasionally sparks found their way in round the back if I was rolling on the floor welding. I cured both issues by velcroing a piece of leather (cut from a welding apron) round the back of the helmet so it drapes down my neck for perhaps 10" or a foot.

What eye protection have you got when grinding?

I know all this sounds boring, but as other have said you are only issued with one pair of eyes, and at your tender age they still have to last a long time :)

KimB likes this.
  12. KimB

KimB Member

My helmet is auto darkening and I've not had an issue with it. I've got some normal safety glasses, not the rubbish ones that come with a grinder either...
    I'll see how I go tomorrow as my eye is getting sore now
    Thanks guys x

13. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

We all do it and I'm no exception but glasses ain't suitable for grinding really.

14. KimB

KimB Member

Hi everyone,
    Well I decided to do a bit more today, I wanted to get the front of the bulkhead complete, I didn't manage to but I'm not far off it.
    For some reason today I've been so clumsy, started when I cut my finger on the cutting disk. Just above my nail :(, then after getting a plaster on that I went out and walked into a hanging plant basket. Then cut another finger lol to top it all off I caught my leg on fire. Not long after I stopped lol.
    Anyway here are some photos :)
    Started by cutting out the large section of rot along the front of it.
    image.jpg

All off and as you can see the brace behind was rotten badly on one side.
    image.jpg

I cut it out and cut a strip to replace it, I then sprayed it with weld primer and left it to dry
    image.jpg

Swiftly started on another area that needed patching, I cut it out being careful of the guttering, hence the diagonal cut. I then realised there was two layers.
    image.jpg

Tacked that up right away
    image.jpg

Cut and welded in a new section :) not pretty but it grinds off :)
    image.jpg

Carefully ground out the welds and found that it was very wavey so I tacked some more to try get it as flat as possible :)
    image.jpg

All the low spots tacked up.
    image.jpg

Welded in my little strip.
    image.jpg
    I didn't get any photos of the next part but I ground the welds back on the strip to allow the front peice to fit flush.
    Welded it in, I was having allot of issues with the welded welding itself to the copper tip however and decided to change the outer chrome part as I replaced the tip earlier in the day and it worked so much better! Also found I was welding a bit close so pulled back and it all seemed to weld a bit easier.
    Here's the finished article of what I've done today.
    image.jpg I'm not overly thrilled with it. I may spend a tiny bit more time on it tomorrow or during the week.
    That's it for today
    Kim

15. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Your gonna look like Tutankhamen at this rate. Eyes burnt slashed fingers on grinders, legs on fire.
    Sounds like you've spent a day welding with mr bean. :eyepatch::welder:
    On the plus side Kim as in all your photos the project is looking well

KimB likes this.
  16. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Making good progress :cool: but I think you need to upgrade your PPE to a suit of armour? :laughing:

KimB likes this.
  17. KimB

KimB Member

Lol thanks guys, I am particalry clumsy but today I'm far worse lol.
    Thanks for influence. Wish I felt the same hehe

18. awemawson Forum Supporter

If your undamaged eye is predominating (which it probably will) your depth perception will not be there -ie you will be seeing 2D not 3D

19. KimB

KimB Member

Sounds like a good excuse for walking into things :laughing::ashamed:

awemawson likes this.
  20. KimB

KimB Member

I know youve all seen the photos but I was just looking at my photos and seeing my progress. I've actually done more than I thoight and what I thought was daunting isn't actually too bad
    image.jpg image.jpg

What a difference! It was nerve racking just looking at it before but now it's done it actually was quite straight forward :D

Advertisements