Second attempt on my van.....

1. The Buddah

The Buddah I'm using phone for internet.

Essex Uk
    Hi Smoggy,

Very good thread, well done and thanks for sharing.

2. Cheers fellas!

;)

3. [​IMG]

Passed with no advisories!!! I showed the guy from the test centre some photos of my welding :welder: and he checked it over and said he was impressed. He said that's the beauty of doing it yourself you can take your time and do a good job of it! :clapping::cool::clapping:

Thank's for all the advice guys and helping me get this far it's very appreciated! :hug::hug:

4. stuvy

stuvy Member

well done mate its a great sigh of relief when they pass

5. you're not wrong there mate.

Camping at the weekend..... and not in a tent!!!!

:D:D:D

6. The Buddah

The Buddah I'm using phone for internet.

Essex Uk
    Well done that man:clapping::clapping::clapping:

7. stuvy

stuvy Member

Lucky sod :laughing:

8. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Nice one :clapping: are you going to get it framed? :laughing:

9. Now thats an idea :rolleyes:

Wonder what the missus would say if she comes home to find it on the sitting-room wall :fighting:

10. sockpuppet Member

United Kingdom
    Don't want to be the forum grump but I'd at least blank off the VIN / Reg from that photo unless you're wanting some git to clone your van :)

11. Good idea mate. Cheers!

EDIT MOD - removed image of MOT cert. With the cert No and test station details on it it would be possible for a criminal to get a duplicate certificate, and then VIN number &c

12. redwine300

redwine300 Silly Rabbit

Great news with the MOT by the way Smoggyrich.
    I know how it feels to put so much work in as you have and finally get a ticket.
    Have you any more welding exploits on the horizon?
    I really enjoyed following this one.

13. billthedrill Member

england
    it is far better than mine

14. Cheers mate.

Have just been enjoying using it for the rest of the summer. Had a good few camping trips, went to a couple of vw shows and had many trips out. The kids love it.

I have got a few areas that i want to look at before next year but wont get round to it untill spring. I'll update this when i do.

15. redwine300

redwine300 Silly Rabbit

I know just what you mean, after spending what seemed like years getting my project through the MOT. I must of spent all summer enjoying the fruits of my labour. Now the winter is upon us, I am concentrating on the remaining issues.
    Looking forward to your updates.

16. You could grind it flush then you'll see if it's solid ;)

17. Time to get the welder out again...

The gutters along the hinge side have needed attention for a few years and I have been putting it off and putting it off.

Well the time has come and I have bitten the bullet and dived in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in so I've had to knock up a shelter on my drive to allow me to drill out the rivets on the hinges, un-bolt the gas struts and lift the roof up just enough to gain access...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I've started at the front end and i'm going to work my way back.

I got hold of some gutter repair panels from Alan Schofield's and they are spot on...

[​IMG]

luckily the repair panel is wide enough to take up all the rusty part in most areas. I will have to patch up In some areas where the rust has spread further up.

[​IMG]

So I've set about cutting out all of the rust and I've ground back to bare metal, Used a bit of rust converter on pitted areas on the inside surfaces then whacked on some David's Zinc primer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first section cut and drilled for spot welds....

[​IMG]

Clamped in ready for welding...

[​IMG]

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have welded in a thin strip of steel along the top edge to allow me to weld the repair panel up to. this will also give a bit more strength in this area and hopefully make the area less likely to flex and crack the paint in future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

fire watch

i hope you have somebody fire watching the inside for you too many bits to set fire to on a camper your welding is a lot better than when you first started on the front end
    that's one of the problems with the lifting top it traps water also never put the roof away wet if you can avoid
    i would renew the edge seal on the roof too that's the only bit that stops the rain etc getting in
    looking good have you got to do the whole side or is it just the front end that's bad

Advertisements