Second attempt on my van.....

1. bits back in.....

Got hold of a new seal. We use these at work for sealing slewing ring bearings. Fits quite well.....

[​IMG]

fitted the seat-belt back on.....

[​IMG]

Seat back in and my little helper checking it out.....

[​IMG]

Will be getting new seats hopefully or these ones re-covered.

[​IMG]

2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

i would either put another bolt in the seat belt reel or move it back and mount it in the centre hole with a big thick washer
    looking good now you just have to go the rest of it
    keep at it a 1000% better than the first attempts though as you have found out a decent welder makes it much more easy to do and a bit of practice at metal bashing too

3. Cheers.

I was thinking that myself Octo. I just re fitted as it was before. The opposite side is the same.

I will get myself a nice thick washer and mount it in the centre hole i think.

4. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

bay window

are they standard bay window seats can't remember what mine being like that mine was a 1971 devon with the concertina roof and the cool box no fridge in them days think it was the first year with the big oblong back lights paid £500 for it 25 years ago needing a clutch should have kept it but horrible to drive 1600cc slow you couldn't keep up with hgvs only downhill with a tail wind thing what it would be worth now as dubs go it was in pretty good nick then :cool::cool:

5. Aye, the seats ate standard for the year. They should have head-rests but have been removed at some point in the past. I'll be getting these re-covered at some point.

You still have any photos of yours?

I've seen a few bay windows up for sale recently in good condition going for £15 - 20k.
    I've had mine for nearly 10 years. We payed £3500 not sure what it's worth now. It's in pretty good nick. I've payed for quite a bit of work in the past before getting a welder and having a go myself.

Had the rear arches/corners re-done and all around the back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still got quite a bit to do but I think it should get through the MOT once i've sorted these seat-belt anchor points.

:D

6. [​IMG]

7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

bay window

no sorry no pictures heres a link to one with the same roof and cooker that swiveled out so you could cook outside mine was a J reg first year with the big back lights and i can.t remember for sure about the bumpers was the older ones not the square profile ones and mine was dark blue white roof had discs on the front

http://www.vwcampervanblog.com/readers-rides-8-vw-type-2-bay-window-camper-van/

this is what mine was bumpers etc but dark blue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-Cam...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item415d3466be

8. my god that lovely
    a real credit to you

9. Finished off under-neath!

Hi fellas

As promised here's some pics of the under side of the wheel arch......

After scraping the old under-seal and removing the surface rust with a Flap disk this is what i was left with....

[​IMG]

There was quite a lot of original paint (van was originally orange) that was in good condition under the under seal so i decided to leave it there. (Been ok for 30 odd years why touch it now?).....

[​IMG]

Here is the products i used....

[​IMG]

I used the 2 coats of the zinc primer then went around all of the seam/welds with the seam-sealer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a good coating of the under-seal. (took these pics when it was freshly painted so looks shiney).....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i'm off to the pub.

:drunk::drunk:

10. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    a well deserved pint!!! nice one mate - exactly the sort of work I want to be capable of. :clapping:

11. Thanks mate.

Here's a bit better pic now it's dried......

[​IMG]

12. hello chaps.

i have finally woken up my campervan from hibernation and i have began to sort out the seat belt anchor point on the drivers side......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have started on this dodgy patch repair that was done some time ago and was just welded over a hole from under the wheel arch....

[​IMG]

Patch cut out.....

[​IMG]

New repair patch cut, formed, and welded in.....

[​IMG]

It was quite tricky forming the patch to the correct profile and getting it to fit.

Not my neatest welds but i think it sould do the job. I had a gap of about 1mm all the way round but blew through at a few areas and had to go back round chasing holes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. goatboy complete novice...

Hemel Hempstead
    I know that your post was from way back in September, but those seats are excedingly similar in design to the seats out of the current Scirocco (all be it in different colours). Not sure if they ever some up second hand but they would look excellent (and keeps it VW too!).

Camper looks great by the way :cool:

14. Cheers goatboy.

I shall keep my eye out. not at a position where i'll be buying seats yet but i'll have a look.

15. Cleaned up the area around the seatbelt anchor point...

[​IMG]

Then measured up and made a repair patch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i made up a plate with a captive nut and welded it to the back of my repair patch.

[​IMG]

Then welded into place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

Just need to flatten back and get some paint on it.

Another job ticked off the list. ;)

16. They look a little cold in places but more than mot worthy =) nice one

17. Thanks mate. I think the areas that look a bit cold may be where i had to go back round to try and fill holes. These areas are a bit built-up. I need to flatten the welds back and have a look what its like. It does look quite messy. I need to keep practicing i think.

18. Bit of an update. I have my MOT coming up in the next couple of weeks so i've been getting things sorted that i Knew would fail....

Finished off drivers seat-belt mount....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then wanted/needed a 3 point seat-belt in the rear to accommodate the sproggs car chair. I purchased a seat-belt a couple of weeks ago and went to fit it thinking it would be a 2 minute job. Not quite, I lifted the rock & roll bed only to find the bed frame is fitted into the factory anchor point and on futher inspection found the area around the anchor point was rotten. So out came the grinder....

[​IMG]

New anchor plate made up and welded into place....

[​IMG]

Nice new seat-belt fitted....

[​IMG]

So I think i'm ready (touch wood) for MOT. So everything crossed i should be camping in the van at 'Mighty Dub Fest', in a couple of weeks time, and not in my tent! :-\

19. Norm Member

nice one, good luck for the MOT.

Advertisements