Second attempt on my van.....

1. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

looking better

why didn't you make that piece all in one to include the seat belt mounting all the mounting is a 3/4mm plate with a nut welded on to it for the belt you could have welded the reinforcing plate on to it first by plug welding it
    then welded it to the car as it is now you are going to be doing more welding than needed on that bit

keep up the good work
    :welder::welder:

2. I did make two attempts to cut a plate for the full section but i found i couldn't bend the shape of the curved part, the 90deg angle and still get the plate to butt up neatly all the way around. Maybe a bit more practice is required.

I figured that cutting a smaller bit, just to incorporate the curved section and the 90deg angle, then leaving the flat section to do next would be the easiest option for me.

Will this still be ok for the repair?

3. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

will be OK all you are doing is just making a bit more work for yourself you can use a big vice with 2 bit of angle iron in it put the sheet between the angle bit tighten vice up then hammer over the metal using bit of wood 3x3 or big bit of steel to get the shape you want

you can make one of these up out of angle iron

:cool::cool:

4. Ah. Thanks for all the advice octo. Feel like i'm starting to get somewhere with it now. Just wish i had some more time to have a good go at it instead of an hour here, couple of hours there etc. Might have to shoot the missus :laughing:. She keeps finding things for me to do, decorating, looking after kids and thing's. How dare she:D

5. welding thick metal to thin.......

i'm now at the point where i have the final plate ready to weld in but first i need to plug weld an anchor plate, with a captive nut, onto the back of the plate......

[​IMG]

Is there anything i need to take into account when welding the anchor plate which is thicker (3mm) onto my thin sheet (1.2mm)?

Also i have the seat bracket to weld back on....

[​IMG]

The original bracket was rotten so i made a new one out of 3mm box section

[​IMG]

6. troppo Member

australia
    weld mainly onto the 3mm instead of right into the corner of the fillet, the 3 mm will take most of the heat that way, i`ve known some guys say a flicking action back and forth with more time on the 3 mm works too so have a play on some scrap and see which best suits your style of welding

7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

looking good

as said above mainly angle torch towards the 3mm then 1mm back to 3mm etc with the seat belt mounting i would plug weld it when a few stitch welds round the out side edge as well

i would weld the seat belt mount on before welding the plate in finish off under neath afterwards

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. Thanks for the advice lads. ;)

I was planning on getting the anchor plate attached on the back before welding the plate in. As soon as i had the plate cut to size though i wanted to weld it in but i know i will need patience. I just want to weld stuff !!! :laughing:

I will mock up some similar sized parts and have a bit of practice first.

9. Plate welded in!

I've had a couple of hours free this afternoon and I've welded the seatbelt anchor onto the back of my plate and finally welded it into place on my van. Here's some pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this....

[​IMG]

To this....

[​IMG]

:)

I hopefully will have chance to get it finished off over this next week. Need to get it all sealed up under-neath then all painted and under-seal etc.

But then i have this to sort out.....

[​IMG]

:D

10. redwine300

redwine300 Silly Rabbit

Some really nice work going on there Smoggyrich, very impressed.:clapping:
    Takes me back to my resto project where I had similar issues,:o
    enjoying the summer weather in her at the moment, but having read through you thread I can't wait to get back to finishing her off.:welder:
    Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next instalment.:cool:

11. Thanks very much for your comment Red.

I would never have got to the position i'm at without the helpful, friendly advice i've had from this forum. For that i'm very thankful.:clapping:

What was/is your resto project? Is it posted on here?

12. redwine300

redwine300 Silly Rabbit

I know what you mean, The guy's and galls on this site have been a godsend to me also.
    As for my thread , Look up "Thanks everyone"
    Hope it helps in some way.

13. Ah i've read through your thread already mate. don't know how i missed your name :D:D

Some fine work you have been doing also mate!:cool::cool:

14. Update......Paint

Had a few hours on the van over the last few days here goes.....

Skim of filler...

[​IMG]

Flattened back then High-build primer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Primer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Paint....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm well pleased with the results so far. Thanks again chap's for all your advice/tips over the last few months.

Hopefully i will be a bit quicker on the next few repairs i do. I started off right at the bottom of the leaning curve and i now feel much more confident about tackling the rest of the work which needs to be done.

Cheers

Bekker likes this.
  15. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

looking good

looking good whats the under side looking like now any pictures as the mot man will look at the underside as well
    :welder::welder:

16. I've been scraping all the old under seal off, Nasty job, and I have some seam sealer and new under seal to go back on.

I'll put some pics on when i get it all sorted.

17. new to this welding malarky my self but if i get to that standard in the same time i,ll be very happy.

18. Thanks for your comment grumpygramps!

19. keith19 Forum Supporter

Midlands UK
    Nice job, Smoggy. Some pros would be proud of that. I've worked with some who couldn't reach that standard...

20. Really??

Thanks mate, that comment has just made my day. :D

Advertisements