Project OBD ( cabin cruiser )

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

Nothing grand to update on due `Waynes Boat Work Services` is kicking off and now i am part time doing it instead of just weekends. This came after having an eye hemorrhage back in January and thinking life is to short to work and not play enough. So i went back to employed work three days and rest for me and the business and the boats.....oh yes and the Mrs ;).

So in the last week or so i have been mad busy on other folks boat trying to fill the bank again. And today i got a few hours to myself and planned on blocking up the two rear windows of the front cabin as there will be portholes there for the Heads.

Well a few gray clouds put a stop to that, not worth the risk.

So 3hrs spent sanding this small area, about another 70sqm to go, felt dam good though :)

[​IMG]

Another thing to mention, this is going to be a live aboard, think i may of mentioned that before, so why not go all out like i do a lot of the time and get a new set of windows made. After getting quotes from all major companies we have found the ones of choice.

So sorry Dean @F.J. the windows i was going to get you to weld up so i could refurb will be going int shed with all the other junk.

These are from Channel Glaze, it will be an order of 8 full Hopper windows and 2 portholes. Cost is half the cost of the original fit out budget. Well worth it though and i love the idea of double glazed units. Mainly to reduce the condensation and secondly keep the boat a little warmer. And they look nice

Sorry this is only way i could work out how to show this video they sent me of the full hopper type, half the price of the ones below..

https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-y9-XNUpOuq_m2ZoJ9xWyZnb4IbBHEwd5GxYUMgJjpAcSIheIP9zNXJsDGddmgjjYrNWaR9psthz1JCmugSgqJQ/messages/@.id==ANExK2c2GTl_XmZeDQNjMEJjUL0/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YMailNorrinLaunch&ymreqid=3c78d358-d03a-9807-1ce0-000000018000&token=I-KGIJdqyKENsf516JLLkDQBsBXiwERktfbQcmHD2a8_EWicMlPWEFeDgCog7J6LDUwmtZoKWwjc4csJmzfiDlFurvqfVuMFQTOZacuHHvLFu_XwmddZqOg2dUu7dRUU&error=https://uk.mail.yahoo.com/d/iframemsg?id=download-5279717371

These are the middle Hopper type but cost twice the price at around £760 for the largest window.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

See how funds go and could half hopper in the front cabin/bedroom. Well any configuration of windows is possible.

And then this came about while i was sanding and thinking how to go about it and i like this idea best [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feels good to be back to normal now after last few months. So hope this will crack on bit quicker now :):):)

Captain Faffer :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@W.olly only one of the images is showing :(

3. W.olly

W.olly Member

Any better, is the video link working ?

4. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

A little better, But the top pic is missing & no video working

I love seeing the progress

5. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

6. W.olly

W.olly Member

slim_boy_fat and Bullet2012 like this.
  7. F.J.

F.J. Member

Not a problem at all mate, you know where i am if you change your mind.

W.olly likes this.
  8. W.olly

W.olly Member

I am making the most of this lock down so got on with what i can on the boat. Mainly sanding and grinding back. Bit peeved as i couldnt get any masks so had to improvise , which worked better in the end. Also i left my bloody laminating gear on a job so i scrounged around the workshop and luck to find a few sqm of Combo and CSM.

And being lazy i got this video for my you tube channel instead of pics this time.

9. W.olly

W.olly Member

What do you expect, i am sat here in lock down and have a boat int garden to faff with upload_2020-4-1_16-40-55.gif

The rear section or 750mm of the front cabin will be the heads area ( well done the port side ) so this need lifting by 150mm for good head room. I was going to go across the boat with the heads but the heads will be down the Port side. and opposite cupboards.

So why waste time, marked out and cut the thing up. I had to drag the gantry up as this will not be easy on my tod. I could`nt ask my good lady T to help, a bit beyond marriage vows lol.

Had to remove the top screen first , i dont think i will be using it, unless i can mod it to make a new folding screen, easy enough though, well than making a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I marked out and cut , as the bulkhead and these braces were in place i cracked on aas these will hold it while o get the gantry positiond.

[​IMG]

I enjoyed this bit very much upload_2020-4-1_16-40-55.gif

[​IMG]

Gantry in situ and found these old chain hook things i had in the shed for that long i dotn even know where i got them from, see another good reason not to throw things out upload_2020-4-1_16-40-55.gif perfect for the job.

[​IMG]

Just had to bend them to give abetter angle.

[​IMG]

And just a matter to crank it up upload_2020-4-1_16-40-55.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan now is to brace up the roof with battens and MDF backing to laminate it back up to required height.

Before that though, i forgot, i will be blanking up the windows. Help to keep it all straight, and yes i know it would of been better to brace the shell but as i dont have the timber and unable to get any hey ho be reat. The shell didnt flex a whole lot anyway as i expected.

While i am waiting for the GRP gear to arrive i will prep all the edges and grind back upload_2020-4-1_16-40-55.gif :(

10. W.olly

W.olly Member

Making a silver lining out of the state were in still.

Got the cabin lifted now for the heads and few other jobs.

I just wish i used the Polisher on the last project, it is better / quicker than the Carbide tipped discs i use in the grinder.

First i blocked up the front Hatch, dont need it as the new windows are removable for an escape if the worst happens.

[​IMG]

Just a matter to taper back and fill with loads of CSM and Woven, i say tnhta as the shell is around 10mm thick here.

[​IMG]

Next then is the pig of a hole that the stove flue came out, just not an even surface, dont knowe what i am moaning about, it was easy enough.

[​IMG]

What makes it uneven is the top is double sandwich construction with two 8mm layers of wood of sorts.

Just used what i could find in foam to shape the profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see there is a little left of a rail mount , it make me wonder why folk do these things and leave a bit, anyway off it comes, will be making a new one and poss more as some ;look a bit dodgy

[​IMG]

So time to laminate it all up, in section/layers as it was thick and to much to do it one go, when laminating its get hot with the chemical reaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you ca n see in that pic i have done the lift and here we are

[​IMG]

6 inch /150mm lift for the Heads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And like magic

[​IMG]

Next to do if i can find materials in the `boat yard` is i want to make the hardtop canopy. If i cant i will sort the top screen as that will be collapsible.

Luvin it upload_2020-4-9_21-47-49.gif

I have been thinking, well changing my mind like i do, on what to do with the cockpit, i was going to go all wood, but now its full GRP bulkheads and floor with wood seat/lockers.

The GRP will give more support to the shell as i wil be adding knees aswell for 2m/7foot either side of the cockpit bulkheads to brace even more. aswell as run cables/pipe work through.

Back to sleepless nights upload_2020-4-9_21-47-49.gif

Captain Faffer ( Youtube name )

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    that raised roof gives it a totally different and regal look!

very nice

JP

12. W.olly

W.olly Member

I have a mate who is dam good at photoshopping and have been waiting for him to do this for me but he has been that busy it hasnt had chance, so i cracked on, i could visualise it but then its a different matter when its done. The rear cabin was going to be all level at the same height as the front lift, but i have decided that i will still lift it but keep the slope off to the rear a sit is now. you may not see it but the rear cabin is a few inch lower at the stern end. thunk it will give it better lines than level.

13. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Are you still going to stretch it too?

14. W.olly

W.olly Member

Sure am :)

Rig Pig likes this.
  15. brightspark

brightspark Member

cut and shut :laughing:god you have your work cut out there .after your last one we have faith in it :)

W.olly likes this.
  16. W.olly

W.olly Member

Just an extension kida, making a mould on the back end and bonding it to the original transom. well bit more than but you will see when time comes, this year i hope. i Maybe bolting aswell to make sure. Been told i dont need to bolt its peace of mind.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    brightspark likes this.
  17. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

"Left hand down a bit, Number One."
    "Cor, lumme Sir, the backend's fallen off."

18. W.olly

W.olly Member

you saying i will fair better with two engines now lol

19. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

No hes telling you to let your Mrs, your first mate drive!

You dont actually need a transom in a boat, providing its above the waterline. Open sterns are quite the thing in some circles

20. W.olly

W.olly Member

Now then now then, more done.

For some time i have been debating with myself on what to do about the top screen and if to make it higher. The bridge heights i will be subject to around around 7 foot, so i need to keep the air draught down below that. I didnt want a folding screen but a sit happens its safer to to. Therefore next job i can sort of do is that.

Oh and reason for the screen heightening is the windows are a bit small for good visibility. Here i get another 75mm/3inch in height of the top screen windows.

Again using foam boards to get a mould done, my last good size bits aswell.

Where to stick it MMmm that be reat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a cut then sans back to shape

[​IMG]

I needed something ti help form the side lifts on the screen and had nothing left, no boards that are good enough.

AAhhhh brain wave upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif

windows are flat upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif

Now if you intend to do this make sure if its not on your workshop and the house windows ensure the tuther half is out for an hour or so, or face the wrath of the gods ha ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes use release agent of sorts just incase upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif and remove carefully upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif

[​IMG]

And there we have the top screen in new height form.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, this is not fettled properly yet as it needs to be faired up and the inner side bonding in to make look good.

I am ordering hinges for the folding part. And i will show that next time where i am going to cut it and how i will have it folding. but it will have the side fold down to the side and top screen just fold down backwards. Still a lot to do on it but loads of time.

These are the heights now

[​IMG]

For tomorrow i have been finalising the rear cabins superstructure for the cut n shut.

I have been working on a few ways to go about this. Now this is where i hope folk actually rear what i am typing.

First i was looking at just cutting the roof section all around about 3 inch /75mm down and raising the roof that way, Although that way it will be alot more work with all the profiles in the rear door area.

So thought on cutting the shell at the back of the cockpit and raising the whole cabin at the gunnel by the 150mm / 6inch i want. Then though you cant see out of the windows due to the window lower edge also going up and dont want to lower it, well cant do as to close to the gunnel base..

SSooo

This is the outcome. this gives the windows the original height from the gunnel and can also get higher/deeper windows now. And the rear deck which is not level will be higher and therefore the 3-4 inch high engine lid ( for engine clearance ) that is the rear deck floor i can make level now. instead of a gap all the way around.

[​IMG]

Still going to think on this cut tonight as if you dont go through it all you can then further down the project you may find something that is not doable or it complicates matter when its to late to go back.

That is what i have been doing for a long time now, thinking ahead upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif ;)

Captain Faffer upload_2020-4-13_18-9-46.gif :)

Advertisements