Project OBD ( cabin cruiser )

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

I siad its mental a problem i have. A fault in the brain, OBD is seriois you know.

slim_boy_fat and winchman like this.
  2. sardine

sardine Member

Don't use Rockwool insulation on boats.

A. Its rubbish at insulating compared to the same thickness foam.
    B. The damp makes it sag away from the battens and you can end up with big areas with no insulation and just a mush lying at the bottom of the space.

Wallace, Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. W.olly

W.olly Member

As said i will be using a spray foam kit, well i thin i did in one of my posts. I usually use foam boards, Kingspan etc, but this time i am going full hog and doing an even better job done on the insulation.

Folk waste a lot of oney on insluating boats with all sorts of rubbish from bubble wrap to rockwool, either non heat insulating or rots etc cant see the point for a little more money.

4. magicgrotto Member

Looking forward to the journey @W.olly But please make sure you use the right format when you put pics up :) So i don't have to guess wot they are :) LOL

W.olly likes this.
  5. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

my thoughts on spray foam is ok for house etc boats not so sure if the hull springs a leak how are you going to find it if it's all covered with spray foam also must be closed cell foam
    PS have you found the leak on the other boat yet

W.olly and barking mat like this.
  6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I'm looking forward to this also!

Can't decide on a cabin cruiser or wide beam myself atm

W.olly and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Totally insane....loving these projects and can't wait to follow this one.

Very nice lines on this one....I think it's going to look really fantastic.

W.olly likes this.
  8. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Remember - when planing boats generate less wash :laughing:

W.olly likes this.
  9. KemppiFrog Member

Err, not always. I was asked to demo a RN tender on the Charente. This was a 16ft Fast Planing Type used to ferry the officers ashore. A mate had been given it as a wreck, but being a classic racing car rebuilder, when he discovered it's history, he gave a full blown restoration. Found an original engine, a Coventry Victor 4 cyl supercharged 2T and rebuilt it to museum quality. Out of 550, there are only a handfull left. One is on HMS Belfast, but in rough condition, another with a bunch of enthusiasts, but no engine. I got involved to help out with the hull structure and the engine. Guy who agreed to buy it, for a classic car and boat collection he is starting, obviously wanted to see it in action. Well I gave it a little bit of welly and the wake was spectacular. Queue annoyed fishermen and some Germans on a big rented cruiser, who spilt their drinks. We went round with a bottle and explained what was up, they were nice and understood we were not hooligans...
    Buyer was happy and towed it off to UK

Edit, think the limit was 5kts..

Seadog, slim_boy_fat and Robotstar5 like this.
  10. KemppiFrog Member

W.olly, I presume this is instead of the Fisher? Difficult to keep up with you sometimes:laughing:. While the MB donk is still supported (look over on the PBO site) old outdrive legs give me the vapours....
    KF

W.olly likes this.
  11. barking mat

barking mat Member

You've got your work cut out there.

Hate z drives.

Good luck mate.

Engine sounds sweet.

One bilge pump should do unless you're expecting it to fail.

W.olly likes this.
  12. Migmac

Migmac Member

Looking forward to this one.

W.olly likes this.
  13. W.olly

W.olly Member

Ill will do my best but not a clue what you mean by `format` I will be using Postimage though ;)

Its used a lot in the boat`y world aswell, it is closed cell also

a quick one for how its used

http://www.webstersinsulation.com/boat-insulation/

i am looking at these DIY kits

https://www.twistfix.co.uk/spray-fo...p-zNvZn9drPZMYBuBCrR9Kf2FC0VRNSUaAig0EALw_wcB

I have been that busy i havnt had chance to look for it but after last weekend we went for a 3 days cruise and barley noticed the bilge pump kick in.

It is , the fisher was well over priced IMO as when i viewed it and looke dove rit fully it would of ended up being a hull and engine only, no superstructure at all left, all rotten or delaminted. And for near £5k was well overpriced to me.

Ok where are we with the Norman, as i have a spare hour or so from bloody block paving, the house that is not the boat, and totally knackered i will give a late update. I say late as we have been busy cruising Khashoggi and getting the Norman to its home mooring as you will see.

We ended up at Wigan Pier where i had decided on going the rest of the way by road transport. This was due to a vibration from the prop/drive when the revs get up to maybe 1500rpm, so not good to do the Ribble Link. Dont want to damage it more than it is.

I called around local Hiab companies to see who will take the job on, After calling around a good few they were coming back at between £450-£500 for the 30 mile trip. Average i reckon from the last move si have done but then found a place that does it by the hour.....ooooeeeerrr, not one of them places ;)

So i worked it on 4hr job and at £55ph its not bad at all.I have all details to the woman on the phone and all good to go.

Well the day began with us being up at 5am as i used the works van to get my cradles to the boat the day before so i had to drop the van off Tuesday before 6am as i have the week off work.Oh well no biggie as we then set off to the Norman to get it ready for the lift. Thing is we hadnt been given an Am or PM time for the lift. We Had a half hour cruise to the lift spot, so dinghy again to get the boat over to the towpath side, move the car to lift spot then walk back to cruise the boat up.

Well all going well and on time but for me loosing the Anti vandal vandal key for the locks, but as lucky and unlucky as i am i found that i had left my socket set on the boat and in my tool bag had a spare screw bit adaptor. I knocked that into the 10mm head end and the 1/4 drive socket fits the the Anti vandal key :)

So happy days we set off, two locks and got there about 8am to the lift site, only to find the crane driver wont be there until 12am, oh well off to Mc D`s :)

He arrived dead on 12m and when i started to chat to him he didnt have a clue hoe to lift a boat as never done one before :o:doh:

Some folk would of thought WTF, but nah crack on and he asked me how to go about it, so i did all the lifting but for manouvering the crane. I should of got discount lol.

Video of the lift

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Intake clogged up

[​IMG]

Hull, not bad to see the state of the rest of the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the thing that was giving it the wobble.

It took some getting out, infact i had to cut it as short as possible. I have collected all sorts in the past in the prop but never a large inner tube

[​IMG]

Think i will make a new rudder like i did with Khashoggi

[​IMG]

And lifted back in at Garstang Marina

As said, a half hour cruise home just a few moorings up from Khashoggi :) Just need to prep the mooring, shed and wot not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan is now to get it water tight from top down, being replace all windows and rear cabin door to be made, either wood or GRP not decided yet on that. Then the cockpit roof to be made wit canvas sides. And go from there.

mpats, zx9, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  14. KemppiFrog Member

Hey, great effort and not too spendy. That prop lookes a bit poxy, best wander around e-bay and find another.
    Meanwhile... I will enjoy watching your self flagillation:laughing:.on taking on a shell..

W.olly likes this.
  15. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi Kemppi

Well yes i am happy with the new boat but i did have to google what `flagillation` means and i have to say i dont think i am that excited over the new boat, and well if i was i wouldnt be putting a video of me in action, i am not religious lol.

Google Dictionary meaning for flagillation

flogging or beating, either as a religious discipline or for sexual gratification.

Parm likes this.
  16. KemppiFrog Member

Talk about a lack of self awareness..:D You do realise that boats are a hard core religion? I should know... and you tick all the boxes..You will be banging on peoples doors with a handfull of brochures pretty soon, spreading the Word.

17. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Think you are right, or hes not allowed to get his masochistic tendancies out at home

KemppiFrog and W.olly like this.
  18. magicgrotto Member

Hi @W.olly post 14 not all pics show :( LOL

19. W.olly

W.olly Member

Not a clue what happened there.

magicgrotto likes this.
  20. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

The show if you click and 'show in new tab'.

Advertisements