Project OBD ( cabin cruiser )

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hey i am at it again :thumbup::D:o:rolleyes::cool::drunk::doh:

I have been looking for another project for a few weeks now, infact not long after i finished Khashoggi. I looked at many and thought of many to buy from part done to shells again and start from scratch, sea boats to river boat to canal/river boats.

I found some boats that could be made into crackers but they were asking stupid money, i mean a 37 foot GRP MS bare hull ( once ripped out ) and engine for £5k.

Anyway after a good talk with T i decided to get another river/canal boat, T is not mad on going to sea and as she is ok with me getting another project, and i am happy with it then why not please us both. I fancied awide beam and had a thought to widen this one to ten foot, but then in the future we may ant to cruise more of the UK canal system which a lot of it is narrow.

Ah now where does the title come from. Some may know i just love boats in all shape and form and condition and rather save a boat and enjoy the hobby , that is where the `OBD` comes in

My good lady, very good lady i have to say and one in a million, well she diagnosed me with this problem i have OBD ` Obsessive Boat Disorder`:laughing:

Lets just get to the introduction now hey of what is an unnamed boat at the minute to me.

This is a Norman 32 6`10" beam cabin cruiser. In need of much work, but less than the Buckingham i did last time. Trust me it does....i think
    image: https://i.postimg.cc/28D6sDC8/67385262-2450987735184579-3860900811391369216-n.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/6qxSpzQn/20190726-185035.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/C1qX09ww/20190726-185041.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/3xfcv3RK/20190726-185110.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/FKq82h5P/20190726-185055.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/gknR0pfy/67344306-479657206125679-8320522387422445568-n.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/FRpcYHrp/67150795-433437607250976-1160582785665073152-n.jpg

[​IMG]

The engine which is a Mercedes OM636 with outdrive / Z drive runs great, needs a few things like air filter and a good battery for now to get it to the home mooring i have for it a few moorings up from Khahsoggi.

image: https://i.postimg.cc/jdgX8Zrc/20190726-185134.jpg

[​IMG]

image: https://i.postimg.cc/3xxqNk3S/20190726-185130.jpg

[​IMG]

It has a new starter motor a basic service and Inj pump refurb

Sounds well once it got going but when viewing the seller didnt bother to preheat the plugs for some reason so smoked like a good un.

In a few weeks i will start the 4-5 day trip to get it there. I will be doing it during the weekends and as after a days cruise it is not that far from home for the first few days i will leave it over night and go home, but the last leg i will stay in a BnB as this will be before the Ribble Link which beside the adventure to do the whole trip this is the biggest part and will need to be prebooked to get on to the Tidal stretch.

So plan is

Get it to the mooring and rip out whats left needed to be done, not a great deal left. But i will be taking down the inner skin of th cabin top as its got a ply inner top, sandwich construction, this will be redone by adding ribs in place every foot or so then to save head room by a good 20mm i can insulate it with spray foam this time,

Windows are all coming out and getting toughend glass to replace the plastic naff thats in there.

Well as you will see there is water in the bottom, i have three bilge pumps to pump out the boat once out of Manchester, saves homeless folk and squatters taking over if its full of water. Then this will i hope see if the leg has any leaks or exhaust etc. Still i will be dragging it out locally to redo them all an d remove the engine to clean it up and fit a drip tray etc etc.

Ok that as far as i have got. loads as you will see the plan and do.

Bring on the next so many years. I/we will be staying on Khashoggi every other weekend and working on `OBD`as said its a few boats down from it.

I will get a walk around video if i remember when i move it in a few weeks

Admiral Faffer ;)

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

is it an out of the water project to check and paint underneath or is it sound . you are certainly taking on something there:laughing:having said that your last boat was a hell of a feat I couldn't have faced it . I once did a knacker of a shell 16 foot speedboat up with a ford 3ltr engine in it and that took ages was good fun mind and something to do

W.olly likes this.
  3. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Good luck with the reject, looking forward to this thread

W.olly likes this.
  4. W.olly

W.olly Member

Its in water at the minute project as waiting for a space in dry dock down the cut. its rough but not as bad as the last project. I want to get it out to redo the leg etc and reseal it all mainly.

Loads i can do while its afloat, remove windows and refurb, do the cabin top and then insulate it all. plus shed loads more.

Well Khashoggi took me 4 years so this one???????????

All just a hobby to me and something to see at the end of it ;) luvin Khahsoggi :):):)

slim_boy_fat and brightspark like this.
  5. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Sorry, that should have read Project, bloody predictive text

6. W.olly

W.olly Member

I LOL kida, its better as first said lol

7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Looks like an old Norfolk broads cruiser

Parm likes this.
  8. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Glutton for punishment..........you must love doing it

W.olly likes this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

at 6'10" its designed for canals......but in my experience they suffer from a snobbery because theyre not the usual steel narrowboat

W.olly and gordon stephenson like this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@W.olly You're a braver man than I am, but like the others I'm looking forward to the progress updates :thumbup:

W.olly likes this.
  11. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Great project ....@W.olly...are those photos taken on the Lancaster canal?..

12. W.olly

W.olly Member

I get that often, more with the hire boats would you believe. prats cant even control the boats half the time lol.

Not braver, the Mrs would give other words you see lol

They are taken in Hyde where the boats still moored.We are not moving it for a few weeks yet.

And what has peeeed on the chips is that i read the details wrong for the boat spec and the draught, for thr Ribble link the max is 0.7m and the specs i read are 0.55, which it is until you get the Z drive is fitted and then its 0.9m :doh:

So its a cruise to Rufford branch then road transport to Ashton basin Preston where i launched Khashoggi.

Or netter still road it to Garstang Marian and they can lift it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. W.olly

W.olly Member

MMmmmwhat wellll, its draws a bit than we thought. The rudder dont help much either.

From the flat on top of the drive thingy to the bottom of the rudder is 30 inch, when then leg is set down in position it is a few inches below the water surface so not far from 36 inch as it does slopes down aswell. If its pumped out it could save a few inch as there was a lot of water in it. and a front ballast will help.

So either try and remove the rudder as its an add on made from plywood by the looks of it, well made aswell.

Or hold the leg up with a chain to reduce the draught when cruising the Ribble Link. Bit like it is in the pic but use a shackle to be able to adjust it easier.

[​IMG]

Good bit is it started after a good few turns and without the glo plugs.

There again about 10 inch of water in it so we pumped it out a bit, that must of mainly been from all the rain we have had.

I have decided to get moving it next weekend so plan is my brother is coming down and we will sort a frame out for seating and get the alternator wired up to keep batteries topped up. Main thing is though to wire up a few bilge pumps.

So plan is all set anyway now.

This weekend me and my bro are setting of early doors on a 12hr trip from Hyde to Boothstown, or Worsley for the first stop then onto another 8hr trip next day to Parbold.

This are at the ready

Make a seating set up for the cruise, sort the alternator to keep batteries charged. and wire up a few bilge pumps that arrived today. think thats about it. We will be going home to my place for the night as its only a 20 min drive away and have two cars to use. Better than pubic transport.

Looking forward to it. Was going to rough it on the boat or a filed, mite do yet as when filled with cider i dont care much lol, brother has a bad back though but its his idea :).

Oh dam yes and when i went up this weekend gone i lifted the leg and bent the gear box cable so got another just incase when i straighten it its no good or fails on the trip.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

I know what a Rodney :doh:

14. W.olly

W.olly Member

What a cracking and very tiring weekend we had. Myself and my brother who came down to give me a hand got the boat from Hyde in Piccadilly Manchester ( 8 hr trip ) to Boothstown ( 5hr trip ) where we have left it for a week ready for the next run to Parbold. Weather wasnt to bad, first day was a bit moist but that busy with the bloomin locks i didnt notice much.

It was interesting to visit Manchester from a different view point. I have been driving for years all over Manchester and it look so different from the canal. Bit rough, well very rough in areas and all kinds of `things` going on, morso under the city near Canal Street.

Some of the locks in Manchester were flooded really bad and taken a good time to empty them. We got he first 19 done from Hyde to Piccadilly in the first day then Sunday got from Piccadilly to Boothstown in good time.

It didnt start of to well as when as when we did the prep of the Friday night the engine would not start at all and in the end found it to be air in the fuel lines,and what a pig it is to get out. In the end we came back Saturday with a primer bulb to see if we can help push fuel through which did the trick while cracking the injectors a few times.

The engine lift pump has failed i think and not a bad thing as i would like to fit an electric lift/fuel pump.

So good weekend to get half way under the circumstances to the Ribble Link which is tidal, we are booked in for the 14th September to get to the Lancaster canal, around a 3hr trip give or take. The 6hrs to the mooring near my other boat.

This was a quick blast to see ho it goes full wack. I feel happy as it will cope with ease on the Ribble [​IMG]

I chained up the leg to give better draught which all went well and level the leg more, i need to sort the pin out yet though as the leg kicks up when in reverse.

[​IMG]

A few very close bridges, infact my brother was sure the canopy would be ok up to keep us dry from he rain on the first day. That did not last long.

And a few locks had a little seepage lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

god that fair heaves along :)haven't speeded the photography up have you :whistle:

W.olly and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

She lives!! :clapping: As a matter of interest, what's the speed limit in the waterways? [not referring to your test :ashamed:]

W.olly likes this.
  17. decca

decca Forum Supporter

That looks very like a Hoseasons cruiser I went on hols with my mam and dad when I was a kid. Think it was called Cochise or chinook, after a red indian tribe. Prob not the same boat as they would have loads but we did go on the Lancaster canal.

Anyway looking forward to your progress.

W.olly likes this.
  18. sardine

sardine Member

Any speed you like as long as A: you don't wash the banks away B: you no other boats are moved or disturbed when you pass them.

slim_boy_fat and W.olly like this.
  19. W.olly

W.olly Member

It takes me long enough to take the video never mind how to speed it up lol.

Generally 4mph is the aim, but as Sardine says faster is ok but depends where you do it and dont disturb the canal banks or other boats when passing.. I tried it here as there is stone setting all around the stretch and no other boats.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. winchman

winchman Member

Your mad I can't wait top see it!

Pigeon_Droppings2 and W.olly like this.
Advertisements