Project OBD ( cabin cruiser )

1. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

You certainly like making work for yourself!

Nice job so far, the taller roofline will certainly make it more comfortable.

brightspark likes this.
  2. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hey no more work than expected, this new rear cabin dissection though makes it easier believe it or not.

Rig Pig likes this.
  3. W.olly

W.olly Member

Yesterday was the day for serious plastic surgery, as there was nothing else to do i cracked on with what i can again.

As some may of seen i marked up the cut a few times and undecided how i wanted to go about it, This is not one of them things you can jump in straight away.

Few reason i went with this cut.

I can keep the height of the lower window edge so i can see out the windows when seated, if i did the lift all around the gunnel which would of been easier the i wouldnt of been able to see out due to the 150mm lift.

I can have more room under the rear deck for the engine, the deck/engine lid is raised at the minute by 100mm to clear the engine this way i can now have a level rear deck.

And to slice off just the roof at the top and lift it would of been a pain with little gain ( still have a low rear deck ) as there are a lot of profiles on the rear bulkhead to get around to section back in.

Always a method to my madness upload_2020-4-15_12-34-39.gif

Front section that will be lifted first to come off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No biggy that bit, its whats to come upload_2020-4-15_12-34-39.gif

As there are many screws from original manufacturing to new strakes screwed on over the years, all these had seized in so need cutting out. only one way to do so unless you have hours on end to waste drilling them out and using pliers etc. just get in with a cutting disc in the grinder. Will have new gunnel edge anyway made as part of the lift.

[​IMG]

On the inner side of the gunnel edge most boats have the superstructure bonded to the hull section. I was expecting ths to be a reat pain in the rear but not that bad, all of 5 mins cutting the join..

[​IMG]

This has a small timber batten in

[​IMG]

Then ensure it is separated from the hull as dont want to lift the while boat and lift away.

Gantry in place

I had to do it at 45 deg first as i couldnt get in to cut the transom bonded edge,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all off, not bad for a few hours work upload_2020-4-15_12-34-39.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So all to do now is stick it back together , i have materials on its way, still cant get any timber needed to brace it but once i get the front section back in place and then if i can find some PIR sheets i can make the bulkheads.

Time to clean it all up, add/laminate the 150mm / 6inch to the roof section and the gunnel edge of the stern section. Lots to do now but little to show due to this dam lock down, got to watch the pennies now so cant spend on the boat to much until we know whats going on. Shame as next is to make the extension mould and we have such good weather for it.

Captain faffer

You Tube vid

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6WT91e2llKxtu2yukGMnWw?view_as=subscriber

• upload_2020-4-15_12-34-57.gif
  4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    An incredible amount of work with great thought going in too....From your last project, I know it will be worth the effort.

jP

W.olly likes this.
  5. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi JP

Yep, its takes a lot of time for me deciding what and how to do these projects as not to make a mistake/a harder job later. I can spend hours going over things, daft i should put it all down on paper but its all int head lol.

Could that be why i cant sleep lol.

And by eck i am going to put all i can and more into this one :)

jpmillermatic likes this.
  6. W.olly

W.olly Member

So the rear section has been butchered so i cant di anything on that yet for a while so i may aswell crack on with the front cabin. Being fitting new bulkheads and the Heads room walls.

I had to go out to get supplies for work so while out i got some for my own boat. MMMMmmmm why have the letters gone chunky ??

Anyway i can see them better now ha ha.

Well i found this place pretty local as i didnt want to go far from home even for work and glad i searched as i found these PIR foam at bargain price 1/4 of what i usually pay. Factory seconds though but no massive damage to them. 25mm /1inch thick for the Bulkheads and walls and 60mm imperial, not a clue @vas sorry lol but near 3 inch.

The 60mm is for making the hardtop canopy later on in the build.

All walls, and Bulkheads will will laminated in place to a thickness of around 6mm - 7mm ( 1/4 inch ) either side with 600grm CSM and 300grm Woven.

[​IMG]

So much of the itchy n scratchy going on here upload_2020-4-29_16-53-30.gif ground/cleaned all back.

I ddi start with 1500 / 6 inch polisher with 60G but these are quicker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used timber to keep the sheets straight as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The deck height here in the door way is going to now be dropped as the step down will be in the deck not in the cabin. It will interfer with the Heads door opening.

[​IMG]

Under the deck will be the FW tank, of around 650 litres. I am debating if to have the batteries under there aswell, or above deck in a locker to one side.

And this is as far as i got as ran out of materials and as i was off on a job at last upload_2020-4-29_16-53-30.gif and as i was getting them materials i got some more in, so again reducing my travel with the darm lock down.

I managed to get one side of the Heads done but that was it and now .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

As the weather has changed its mind as a week or so of rain forcast i have just ordered a cover fo the boat upload_2020-4-29_16-53-30.gif i am not letting the weather put a damper ( so to speak ) on this project like my last

[​IMG]

20 foot x 12 foot or 6.1m x 3.7m. I will need to sit in on a raised bed of some sort as its 600mm low.

Hey i mite just spray paint the boat now, in two halves but still be better than brush it upload_2020-4-29_16-53-30.gif

Captain Faffer upload_2020-4-29_16-53-30.gif :)

7. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@W.olly I bet cutting that wall to fit was fun

W.olly likes this.
  8. W.olly

W.olly Member

Real easy making them fit. I used the old bulkheads as templates ha ha :)

9. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@W.olly potentially got some scribing work to do myself & it's not a fun job!
    Atleast with templates it makes the job alot easier

10. W.olly

W.olly Member

What are yours for ? if i had no templates i am used to them now lol, i enjoy making them from foam, bit of a pig from ply etc.

11. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Van building & potentially getting myself a boat later this year

12. fixedfixer Member

@W.olly how you getting on with the boat, done anymore mate?

13. W.olly

W.olly Member

Afraid nothing really due to work kicking off big time. I had half a day last week trying to line up the mould profiles etc but struggling to do so. Spat my dummy and that was that lol.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  14. W.olly

W.olly Member

15. fixedfixer Member

Fair enough. Sometimes you need to walk away from a problem and in a short while later you come up with solutions. Like the ‘temp’ workshop- bonus to be undercover. :thumbup:

On bright side good to have a stack of work work to do, so many haven’t just now.

Pigeon_Droppings2 and W.olly like this.
  16. W.olly

W.olly Member

Hi all, just to let you know. it had been a great year for me with the Boat Works business going mad busy booked up untill early next year, this new project going well and life, well at last working out.

Well all that has come to an end, i am not good health wise as in physical health so this project has come to an end as most of the Boat Works.

I am jacking in with the big boat stuff for myself and work so got myself a small fun boat and will be getting a big van when i sell my boat ( the good one that is ) for us to convert to drag the new boat around. this project will be going asap as it is doing my head not able to carry on with it.

so new change to everything.

hey ho **** happens.

fizzy likes this.
  17. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

That’s not good to hear but you seem chipper

18. W.olly

W.olly Member

you have to kida, been down a lot and i dont do down. guess got used to knock backs lol

19. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Change is sometimes for the better! Hope all goes well

Parm, W.olly and roofman like this.
  20. zx9

zx9 Member

I normally follow your threads but missed out on all the post since April, don't know how that happened. Sorry to hear things have gone Pete Tong , I hope you can take some time out and re group, take care of yourself and the family.

Advertisements