Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

1. langy

langy langys rodshop

esterday was another day of measuring and more measuring but made good progress, my pal Gomez came over to hold the end of the tape which helped no end.
    We made up a flat surface to sit the body on which helped stabilize everything, I'm not sure of whether this body has ever been an actual car or not because we found some very odd things with it [​IMG] First thing we found was all though the door inners sort of fitted the openings they were an odd shape, cut some bits out to correct this and will reglass them the right shape later. the inners are actually too short width ways but I can fix that quite easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The out door skins had us scratching our heads for a while as they were both way too long for the openings even though the body & doors had hinges on them [​IMG] Luckily I had the dimensions from a steel truck and when checked we found the door skins were way out !!!, We also found one door was 1.5" longer than the other [​IMG] So out with the cutting wheel and they were sliced down to the correct size [​IMG] You can see in the second pic there are no cutouts for the hinges and the front of the door is clearly too long, I can only assume someone started this but never finished it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit more measuring and trimming we got them fitting correctly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. langy

langy langys rodshop

Well a little bit of progress, started glassing the various pieces together, most of the glasswork is underneath but I had to get it stuck together solidly to turn the shell over.

First the sills were attached to the rear of the body, or if your name is Layton its Cills [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then in between the bits of aluminium sheet was glassed to hold it together while the aluminium was removed. Then it was glassed up fully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower cab rear corners had been hacked about quite badly so these had to be repaired before the flloor went in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The floor was then bolted back in and glassed at the rear & front, next job is to glass the floor to the sills and then turn the body over for the underneath to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. langy

langy langys rodshop

Well got to a point where I needed an extra pair of hands so my good mate Allan (53pop) popped over to lend a hand, I needed the body upside down to glass in the floor and its getting heavier and awkward to move around.
    First job was to glass in the rear of the floor, I had had to cut the floor into 2 halves to get it in so the joint had to be fixed, while there we bonded in 2 short pieces of 1/2" square tube as strengtheners.

[​IMG]

Next up was the front section of the floor & the sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the cowl joint which came out real nice.

[​IMG]

Had to alter part of the rear lower panel, I had the measurements from a stock pickup and I checked the rear panel and found out the lower cut out that fits over the frame was 1.25" to high in the panel, so I cut it out and moved it down to the correct place, the pics tell the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This meant the last 4" of the floor needed to be angled very slightly so some more cutting was needed.

[​IMG]

Dropped the body back on the frame for a looksee and it now fits much better so can glass up to finish it.

[​IMG]

While the body was back on we loosely held the frontend in place for a looksee, the front is slightly high at the front by about 2 or 3" but you get the idea

[​IMG]

4. langy

langy langys rodshop

Had a good day today and got a fair bit more done, the rear that I had started was finished off & the topside of the fllor that meets the rockers finished up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the rear panel joint to sort, a piece of flat wood was screwed to cover the joint and pull every thing flush and glassed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I turned my attention to the firewall, I found that the centre was bulging out slightly so this needed to be pulled back slightly, this had the added bonus of giving sufficient clearance for the dizzy to come out which saved me some work. A suitable prop was made in some scrap timberand screwed in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I glassed up 3 layers of matt on a piece of Melamine (this is great as it don't stick to it) as panels to cut to size.

[​IMG]

The panels were cut to size and held in place with tape so the could be temporarily fixed in place with some bridging paste, then 3 more layers of matt will be applied to the inside to fully glass them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That'

5. langy

langy langys rodshop

A bit of progress made, its surprising but it took most of saturday to get the firewall filled in, its about 3/8" thick all over but the engine side still needs a few more layers yet, its certainly stiff & strong as I intend to hang a vintage heater from it.
    The engine side still needs tidying up and smoothing out and looks like a patchwork quilt but its all looking pretty good. Just got to sort out a slight recess for the dizzy and it will be done, then i can start putting in some steelwork and hanging doors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. langy

langy langys rodshop

Got a bit more done, these lighter evenings are a real bonus, firewall finished up now on the inside,

[​IMG]

I started thinking about the master cylinder and pedal placement so decided to get it out of storage ready for a trial fit, opened the master cylinder box and spotted a small problem, I had set the brake bracket up with a 54 F100 cylinder but had ordered a 55 cylinder, I didn't even know they were different, the bores the same but the bolt hole configuration was way out, I thought about cutting a new bracket out but decided to make an adaptor from a piece of 1/2" aluminium plate, the pics explain it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I found a piece of stainless and turned up a pedal pad, found a piece of rubber in an old mat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that I didn't like was the horrible black plastic cap on the master cylinder so machined up a cover to glue over the plastic one, machined a slot for the plastic cap ears to fit snugly in and gave it a knurl on the outside and glued it in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The output of the cylinder was 1/2" unf and i'm trying to use brass brake fittings on this car, mainly because I like them, Couldn't find a fitting in brass so made one up on the lathe. I found a brass 90 - 1/8" npt to go into it but had to make a 3/8" tube nut, couldn't tap the 1/8" npt thread as someone borrowed my tap and havn't bought it back yet !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

Not much progress as had a few interuptins yesterday but now the firewall is in i started to put some steel framework in and mounted the door hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

awesome work as always langy.... some serious skills there:clapping:

9. langy

langy langys rodshop

More steel framing today, I wanted to tie the inner steel work in to the frame so first job was to make a pair of brackets, and fit to the frame and firewall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I looked at a problem I have been thinking about for a few days, the problem is on the willys you can't bring the tube frame down to the floor level because there is no recess anywhere for it to fit into, this is my solution, basically a 3 sided box bolted down to the floor and tied into the inner fender panel and also tied into the firewall brackets.

[​IMG]

I also got to make the roll cage front bar bracket that is bolted into the chassis and front outrigger.

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy langys rodshop

Had a break from steeling out today and decided to mount the bed instead, the back of the bed needs lowering about another 1/2" but its same as a stock Willys and pretty much on the money [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. langy

langy langys rodshop

Got the door hinges tied into the frame now, its becoming very rigid [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. langy

langy langys rodshop

Spent the last couple of evenings making up a pair of support tubes to tie the firewall to the chassis, Its really strong now with zero movement anywhere.
    1.5" stainless tube & bends, not sure wether to polish or paint black yet, I will decide later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. langy

langy langys rodshop

Not much progress at the weekend due to very heavy showers every half an hour [​IMG] But this evening there was a nice sunny break so I decided to get the template made for the roll bar hoop, Its very similar design to my coupe but its all at the front as obviously there isn't much space behind the seats in a truck. As they did back in the day i'm using 2" x 1/8" wall tube, its a 2 piece hoop as in 1 piece it wont fit in the chrome bath [​IMG], It has a diagonal going from the middle of the hoop to the passengers footwell where it ties into the frame.
    The outside of the template is the centreline of the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been trying different places for the rear lamps over the last couple of weeks but just couldn't decide, last night the decision was made !!!, so I drilled a few holes and bolted them on, I really like them !!!

Then Gary gave me a hand with the cage parts, pics later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. langy

langy langys rodshop

Popped over to my mate Garys with the cage template last night and bent up the main hoop and the diagonal and tonight I got it all tacked in place with the mig, I will take it out tomorrow night and tig weld it all in the workshop.

The main hoop is in 2 pieces as in one piece it won't fit in the chrome bath and I do like a chrome cage, the 2 pieces are joined with a slip joint, one side is plug welded in to the tube and the other slips into the other side, the diagonal bolts in through 2 sleeved holes and the 2 bolts hold it all together. The pics explain it,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been a bit of a chippy today as I needed to set up a seat, So today I made up a framework and seat stands.

First I made a frame in 3/4" box, I have a bender for the square but it wouldn't do the tight radius I wanted so did it the old fashioned way of sliting and bending and ten welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The seat back is hinged, the bolts screw into rivnuts

[​IMG]

The side brackets were bent up in 1/8" steel and shaped to make them a little more interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is in the cab, its the widest I could get it at 48" so it could seat 3 at a pinch but its nice and comfortable for 2 people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran out of time to do the sides but this is the basic shape.

[​IMG]

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

Got the templates made for the sides tonight and also cut the seat cut outs for the Pirelli webbing to be put in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. langy

langy langys rodshop

Managed to get back on the pickup last weekend, I had been fed up with kicking the wheels around every time I wanted to move it so first job was a steering column so a rummage through my scrap and I came up with a piece of 1.5" diameter stainless tube and a few offcuts of aluminium bar, I had some 3/4" round on the shelf so we were good to go [​IMG]

First job was to dummy up with an old steering wheel and measure up [​IMG] 28" needed and the bit I found was 28.5 [​IMG] Trued up the ends in the lathe and I had an outer [​IMG]

I had planned to use 3/4" needle roller bearings so I turned up a couple of bearing carriers in aluminium to be a press fit into the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I turned my attentions to the inner shaft, I like to use 3/4"DD uj's so the end of the inner was machined with 2 flats on the mill.
    and a groove for the securing bolt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I machined up a decorative finisher for under the wheel mounting hub (which I forgot to photograph but is basically a 1.5" x 5/8 steel hub welded to the end of the inner)

[​IMG]

Heres the finished column, not too shabby for an outlay of £15 ($20) including bearings [​IMG] Next job a custom column drop.

[​IMG]

19. langy

langy langys rodshop

These pics explain the steering hub end better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday I started on the column drop, I wanted something to match the brake pedal etc which are I beam styled, started with a boss for the column and added curved sides, the edges are all radiused to soften the look, I cut a cardboard infill panel with holes but i'm still thinking about the design etc, It might change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. langy

langy langys rodshop

I got the column support insert made up so silicon bronze welded it into place, then the weld was dressed with a bull nosed tungsten burr to create an invisible joint (I wanted it to look like a cast piece)

[​IMG]

I had to paint some small parts for a customers car so gave the support a squirt of satin black epoxy, I love it !!! Its exactly what I wanted it to look like [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisements