Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

1. langy

langy langys rodshop

It was like summer at the weekend so some progress was made, I ordered some tube for the bedsides and it arrived in time, I knew right from the start welding the tube to the top of the sides was gonna be a pain and also a 2 man job, so I got my mate Gary (chevy2) to help out, I like working with Gary as he knows what he's doing and dn't keep asking "why are you doing it that way " [​IMG]

First job was to get the tube tacked in place, it was cut longer than needed to allow for somewhere to clamp the ends. Welding 16swg sheet to 16swg tube is always a challenge as the tube tends to bow, Tig was out of the question due to the heat involved so we both decided to Mig and quench each weld as we danced around the joint.

We tacked it every 10" while checking with a straightedge first

[​IMG]

Then clamped it to a piece of 2" x "2 box section, we were both convinced if we laid down 1/4" welds by dancing around in lots of different places and quenching with a damp cloth as quickly as possible every thing would be fine [​IMG] Here it is unclamped after cooling but when we checked it for straightness it had bowed very slightly, I can correct this with a touch of heat and a damp cloth later as it isn't too bad at all.

[​IMG]

We decided on the other side to try and predict the bow by using a 1/4" packer in the centre and 1/8" outers and only clamp at the middle & ends, we used the same welding & quenching procedure, result was it came out perfectly straight when unclamped [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to sand down the welds and metal finish it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the bowed side and below the straight side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are all metal finished and ready for the stake pockets to be welded on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to mark out and drill the holes so the pockets could be plug welded in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To protect in between the seams 3 coats of Epoxy primer were applied. then the pockets were clamped in place, and thats as far as it got until next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. langy

langy langys rodshop

Dragged my Mig welder out tonight, use it very rarely these days, everybody wants to see Tig these days, Anyway plug welded the stake bed pockets onto the sides and sanded down the welds, it will need a thin skim of filler (gasp shock horror !!!) to sort it out straight as the sheet pulled around slightly.
    I also went and collected the front panel we bent up that I forgot the other day, thats the next job to sort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. langy

langy langys rodshop

Picked up the front panel I had left at the machine shop and last night made a start on it, first job was to prepare the tube that gets welded to the top edge to be the roll, I like the idea of having a bolt each end on this to anchor it to the bed sides so first job was to cut the tube to length and turn up a couple of weld in bungs with threaded holes in them.

[​IMG]

These were then welded into each end of the tube and the welds smoothed out.

[​IMG]

Then the tube was tacked to the front bed panel the same way as we did the sides, this is where I realised I had my a slight error [​IMG] I had measured the tube but not allowed for the 2 thickness's of sheet either end so each end was slightly shy [​IMG] school boy error but thats what you get for rushing [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found an easy solution though, well 2 easy solutions, the first was to split the tube and extend with a piece of solid, the 2nd was easier so went with that, a standard washer was the same thickness as the sheet and with one side trimmed was a great fit [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The washer was tig welded in place and sanded smooth, no one will ever know [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides had to be drilled for the small bolts that hold the front panel to the sides, so measurements were taken and the sides drilled.

[​IMG]

Today I took it all outside to see how it looked bolted together, looks pretty good to me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The open ended tubes on the sides were bugging me so I turned up some stainless bungs to cap them off, nothing fancy but practical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. langy

langy langys rodshop

Seem to have been hard at it today but achieved very little [​IMG] Started to make up the tailgate but all I got done was the hinge tube and brackets.

Brackets go into urethane bushes in the ends of the tube which forms the bottom of the tailgate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been beavering away on the tailgate, its the same 16swg steel as the sides, same tube top & bottom also, the sides of the frame are 2" x 1" x 16swg box.
    I started making the frame up but suddenly realised i was a bit short of material for the top tube, where would i find a bit at 8pm at night, had a rummage through the scrap bin and found a piece 3/4" longer than I needed, i never throw offcuts away, you just never know when they will save the day !!!
    I turned up a joiner from a piece of 1" bar but I knew this is where my problems would start !!!
    I clamped it all to a piece of angle but as you probably already guessed it was bowed when unclamped, I tweaked it here and there but still not straight enough[​IMG]
    Then it came to me [​IMG] put it in the lathe chuck with a revolving centre in the other end and warm with a Mapp gas torch while pressing a piece of wood against the tube, amazingly it came out arrow straight !!! [​IMG]

Heres the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to cap the ends of the tube off.

[​IMG]

Now I had the parts of the frame I started on the box sides, the round tube sits on the ends of the box so needed to put a semi circle in them, I didn't have a 1" milling cutter about so had to settle with a 1" holesaw, did the job just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next everything was clamped down the bench and squared up and welded.

[​IMG]

I had previously cut and put a 20 degree bend in a piece of sheet to use as an infill panel, this was tacked in many places. It will get fully welded once its all put together.

The inside

[​IMG]

The outside

[​IMG]

Here it is with the top tube tacked in, I need to trim the top edge yet, nothing too complicated but i'm pretty happy how it looks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been making good progress with the bed, one of my pet hates is rattling tailgates so I decided to put a return on the sides of the tailgate so I could glue in a U shaped rubber, basically 2 pieces of angle, I couldn't find any angle so cut some 3/4" box down each side.

[​IMG]

Some nice chap pm'd me saying I didn't show enough welding pics and asked if it was because I farmed it out [​IMG] I explained Sue does all the welding and left it at that [​IMG] So just for him, here its tacked up & then welded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres where the U shaped rubber will sit.

[​IMG]

Just need to make a cross piece to go under the tailgate (nothing in the scrap bin) and it will be virtually ready for fitting.

[​IMG]

I also altered some bolts to look like rivet heads to hold the tailgate hinge brackets in place.

[​IMG]

I finally made a decision on my rear lights, couldn't make my mind up between 32's or these 37 Chevy's, I plumped for the 37 Chevys as they are nice and the squareness suits the bed shape and I've not seen them used much before.

[​IMG]

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

Mostly been loading up for the swapmeet tomorrow but managed to get a few more bits done, as the tailgate is raised slightly so its level with the floor when opened there is a small 1.625" gap under it, I filled this with a piece of 1.250" x 16swg box section, I wanted to bolt this in place so a piece of 1/4" x 3" bar was welded inside on the bottom face so it could be drilled and tapped, also the ends were capped with 1/4" so they could be drilled and tapped also. One side of the end caps was radiused to sit nicely in the bottom return of the bedside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made up the closing mechanism, basically shaped plates that locate on a pair of antiluce fastners, simple but clean & tidy. I gave them a quick polish to add balance to the polished hinge brackets. (the antiluce fasteners haven't arrived yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been making the bed furniture the last few evenings, I wanted chains for the tailgate and needed to make up the various fixings etc etc, also the Antiluce fasteners turned up so they needed fitting also, for these a bit of 3/4" BMS bar was turned down to 1/2" and holes drilled in the rear stake bed pockets, the bar was then inserted and plug welded from the rear, I will tig the tailgate side later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spun these parts up in aluminium in the lathe, the next pics explain where they go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. langy

langy langys rodshop

Woo hoo yesterday was like summer had returned [​IMG] So got a chance to get the floor in the bed, I'm using a sheet of 3/4" WBP Plywood, i decided to put in a 1.25" x 16swg square box subframe to support the floor slightly higher as the kickup in the frame was a bit on the close side. The 16swg is nice and light but strong.
    The subframe is bolted to the returns on the bottom of the sides, I didn't want to use rivnuts here so turned up some threaded bungs and welded them in to the tube and then sanded smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to cut the ply and drop into position, its held in temporarily with some button heads as run out of countersunk screws. I've ordered some ribbed rubber for the floor covering which will get glued down as I want it usable, In the last pic you can see marked out where I intend to put some polished stainless strips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. langy

langy langys rodshop

Went and collected this today, its not the nicest thing in the world but it has a fairly decent rear panel which will save no end of work, its been well butchered in places but dimensionally fairly correct, once I graft our 41 front on it it should look much better, once its all nice and straight we will mould off it. It will certainly save a lot of work & time.

I won't be keeping the outstanding firewall [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. langy

langy langys rodshop

The laminator made up a new front section from the coupe mould so last night we had a bit of a play around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. langy

langy langys rodshop

Well finished the fence first thing so got plenty of brownie points [​IMG] then more or less spent the rest of the day measuring, then measuring and then measuring again !!! Decided where the join will be between the 2 halves and laid a plan out for the recess in the firewall. It was really a 2 man job but no one was around today, will have to get Gomez back to lend a hand [​IMG]

Also a few bits & pieces arrived, door locks, handles hood hooks & willys side trim, the eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed the cab is a 40 with the wipers above the screen, the coupe front is a 41 with wipers below the screen and has an extra swage line the 40 doesn't have plus I like the wipers above the screen, hence my cut line is below the 41 wipers, the side trim is the correct half round 40 pickup deluxe trim, the coupe trim is peaked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These fenders caused me quite a bit of head scratching as I couldn't get them to fit right at first, until I realised they were the ones Mr Noble had used for mocking up his body and he had cut a bit off them, sussed it in the end though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door hinges are polished stainless steel, these were not available when I did my Coupe so they were chromed, these are much nicer and not much more money.

[​IMG]

Door locks are Bearjaw type, I don't usually use bearjaw preferring an older style latch but these were cheap !!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willy Reproduction Parts chrome door handles

[​IMG]

32 Ford hood hooks, probably only need 2 as I intend to hinge the hood

[​IMG]

40 pickup deluxe side trim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. langy

langy langys rodshop

When mocking up at the weekend I slipped the bed into place to get an idea where my rear lights wanted to be so last night I hacked out the brackets in some 1/4" stainless plate.
    Firstly I made a template, wanted them to mirror the shape of the hinge brackets but mount from the other side of the stake bed pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lights have angled mounting on them and I needed a slight bend in the mounting area of the plate, just bending gave too large a radius so I partially slit it with a cutting disc and then bent it and welded it up, this gave a nice tight bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need a polish and they will be done, simple but effective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. langy

langy langys rodshop

Gomez popped in this afternoon to help out with the first part of the body, I sometimes wish I had been born an octopus as trying to get things true needed several hands [​IMG]
    We placed the cowl section in the correct place and took lots & lots of measurements, we then transferred these to a sheet of 1/2" plywood, next we cut the shape into it and then slowly sanded it to shape. Just a few screws holding it the moment until I glass the floor in for good.

I know it don't look much but your looking at 4 hours work here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. langy

langy langys rodshop

Scratching around for something to do last night so thought I would fit the radiator, The rad is a 32 ford aluminium jobbie so most of the brackets had to go and be replaced by something more suitable, made them up in 1/8" aluminium and welded them in place, the upper mount I reshaped and used.
    Bottom mounts are a set of stainless 32 Ford mounts.
    The bars are 3/8" thick wall stainless tube with 5/16" rose joints screwed into them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. langy

langy langys rodshop

Bit of a wasted day today as been stuck on M25 most of the day, thought I would do a quick run to the airport to pick peoples parts up [​IMG]

Did get a bit done though, I trimmed off the top of the new firewall and trimmed the corresponding area on the cab, got them all lined up and secured with bits of aluminium sheet & self tappers.
    There is a very good reason for making the cut here as the swage line below the windscreen is different on a 41/42 and this cab is a 40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

Before I can start glassing the cab sections together I needed some rear cab mounts (the front ones are the original mounts which fell just right)

Made these from some 4" x 2" x 1/8" box section, I originally made them like my coupe ones with an angle but decided I had done that way before so decided to put some shape into them, the top plates have 4 holes as this is where my cage will bolt in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres some pics for the welding perverts amongst us [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I polished my rear lamp brackets so heres some pics for the shiny perverts amongst us [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. langy

langy langys rodshop

Now I had the rad mounted I decided to fit a fan, was gonna use a flex fan but went with a thermostatically controlled electric for reliability.
    I decided to make a fan shroud for it in aluminium sheet and mount the shroud 1.5" off the rad so the fan would pull from the whole core, made up the shroud and it looked a bit boring so add some stiffening plates to make it slightly more interesting. small tapped bosses were welded to the sides for the shroud to bolt to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one pic for the non believers [​IMG]

19. langy

langy langys rodshop

Finished the install of the trans cooler tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. langy

langy langys rodshop

Today has mostly been taken up doing a few minor changes on my Coupe but I did get the radiator back in place and bolted the front panels together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisements