Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

1. langy

langy langys rodshop

Wow what a great day today has been, sunshine all day [​IMG] Got out there bright & early and got the front axle etc in place, I also made a little towing fixture which bolts to the frame to make it easier to get to and from the lockup where its stored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got the rear axle & spring all mounted, next I will mount the motor & transmission, ran out of light in the end otherwise would of got the rear wheels on [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. langy

langy langys rodshop

Sorry about the crap pics but it was dark yesterday, I snapped some better ones today.
    Amazing difference in 2 days, yesterday shorts & t shirt weather, today absolutely freezing !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. langy

langy langys rodshop

Managed to squeeze a few hours work in on sunday, mainly assembling the rear spring which feels just about perfect, welding up a few unneeded holes and cutting off the various brackets I don't need, also put a relief in the front crossmember as because the pickups are a bit small for me I want to keep as much of the firewall as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. langy

langy langys rodshop

Not so much done last night, but I guess anything is progress [​IMG] I needed a bit of 1" CDS for the tierod but had run out and didn't even have any stainless on the shelf, luckily young Gary Layton popped in with a bit an inch longer than I needed, bunged it in the lathe and trued it up and tapped for early ford tre's, I now have a rolling frame [​IMG]

Had a nice surprise today as my stake bed pockets arrived from Mackhills, couldn't buy Willys ones but the 39 Chevy ones are 99% correct ad almost the same thing and at $25 a piece a bargain [​IMG]
    Gonna pop in to my mates tomorrow and get some sheet bent up for the pickup bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Brilliant!! :clapping: I love these kinds of write-ups, keep 'em coming.

6. langy

langy langys rodshop

Wow its saturday and nice & dry !!! Ideal opportunity to install the motor & transmission [​IMG] all the brackets were made and ready so what could go wrong ???

Got all the surfaces to be welded nice and clean and sparked up the welder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep all fits a treat !!!

[​IMG]

Splashed a bit of Rustoleum on to keep it nice

[​IMG]

Stood back to see what it looked like and thought "wasn't you gonna put the motor mounts lower ? " [​IMG] Damn !!! in my rush to get them on I had welded the level with the top instead of level at the bottom [​IMG]
    To much work to move them now as those suckers are proper welded in !!! Instead I will alter the front mount, that's how it goes sometimes, not worth rushing[​IMG]
    Its not how you screw up but how you get out of it that counts [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to make slight modification to one centre section leg that goes forward, the new bell housing is pretty big and fouled on the leg, Out with the cutting disc and that was quickly solved [​IMG] I will fold up a piece to replace it that has a slight dogleg.

[​IMG]

Next job is to make a transmission mount, something like the front motor mount would be nice.

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

Not done much past few days as had some flu virus [​IMG] knocked me for 6 for a few days but improving now, worst thing is it left me with a horrible cough, not the ideal thing to do when tig welding [​IMG]

Anyway tonight I got a bit done, first I finished the trans mount I had started on saturday, I didn't have a C4 rubber mount so adapted a TH350 mount.

I also done the modification to the front engine mount but the paint wasn't dry enough to handle so pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the actual mount

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. whensparksfly Member

Great work love the nice touches

9. langy

langy langys rodshop

Finished the mods to the motor mount.

[​IMG]
    La

10. langy

langy langys rodshop

Finished the mods to the motor mount last night [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG], bolted it back place this morning to check, just right now [​IMG]

Before [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed the mount rubbers were spreading slightly under the weight of the Y block [​IMG] (its a heavy old beast) so I spun some cups up in the lathe in alumnium to support them. The mounts always used to come with steel cups but not any more ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. langy

langy langys rodshop

Last couple of evenings have been spent making some stainless headers, the flanges I ordered from the laser cutter turned up real quick (thanks Paul) so I set to it.
    The Y block has square exhaust ports so first job was to make up some round tube with squares on the end to match the ports, I did a small video that explains the process here

Heres a few pics but the video explains it better than words [​IMG]

The primary tubes are 1.75" Stainless steel, Flanges are 5/16" stainless steel, I kept the design simple to save time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this far but run out of bends so come to a stop till tuesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SmartWerks likes this.
  12. langy

langy langys rodshop

Frustrating day today, saturday is the only whole day I get each week to work on this and its been raining all day, the vega steering mount will have to wait for another week [​IMG] Not much to do on the headers either as waiting for more bends, I hate waiting for stuff to arrive [​IMG]

Anyway I did find something to make [​IMG] I needed to spin some blank off plates for the ends of the collectors, only had 1/4" stainless plate so marked out the round end caps and plasma cut them to rough shape and finished in the lathe. Also made some gaskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had intended to just use nuts to hold the caps in place but as I had a little time spare I decided to make some stainless tri bar wing nuts instead, gave them a quick polish. I couldn't be bothered to polish out the welds, may do it later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. langy

langy langys rodshop

A tiny bit of progress, been scratching for jobs while waiting for bits to arrive, i've been searching for a Y block thermostat housing but nothing turned up yet, solution was to make one [​IMG]

Started with some aluminium off cuts & couple of hours later I had a housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. langy

langy langys rodshop

Well 2 dry days in a row is pretty amazing at the moment !!! Still waiting for exhaust bends to arrive from Italy but I did trial fit a header to get an idea of the look, nothing super tricky but I absolutely love the way they look [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I was in need of a fuel pump blank off plate so milled one up from some aluminium plate, also gave it a little polish.

[​IMG]

Another job I wanted to get done was to mount the Vega steering box, no mount available to buy so made one in 3/8" plate steel, Also knocked up the draglink in 1" CDS tube. I need to make a new pitman arm with a crank in it, will do that over the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. langy

langy langys rodshop

The mandrel bends I had been waiting for turned up yesterday so last night I could get the headers finished [​IMG]
    I started to complete the drivers side but then realised the bends were slightly smaller in OD for some reason, I managed to use one to finish this header but the others are gonna have to go back and be replaced as it gives a step to the welded joint [​IMG]

I also checked the length of the primaries and found them all to be within 1/2" of each other, result !!!

[​IMG]

16. langy

langy langys rodshop

I decided I couldn't wait for the bends to be replaced so built up with weld and sanded the joins, no one will ever know [​IMG]
    It actually wasn't raining today so bolted them on for a looksee, also took a pic of the steering box fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. langy

langy langys rodshop

Been an exhausting day today (pun intended) started building the exhaust system, system is 2" stainless steel, mufflers are 2" Smithys 22" long, they were a little long for the space available so the inlets & outlets were shortened and fitted with 3 bolt flanges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. langy

langy langys rodshop

Not much done this week but I did get some exhaust mounts made, the pics will tell the progress, got the system done back to the rear wheel but need to decide now if I go side exit or out the back.
    I went with a bolt in mount as it was easier. Had to enlarge the existing holes in the frame to 3"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. langy

langy langys rodshop

A bit more progress while I wait for the laminator to do his thing, popped into my mate Brians engineering shop to use the folder to do an aluminium tank, got chatting and mentioned I had to make a pickup bed, why not do it now [​IMG] half hour later walked out with 2 x 16swg bedsides [​IMG], Initially went with a 6 foot long bed but got home and tried it in place and realised a 5 foot would look better, so hacked a foot off, interesting little tip was that although the top angle looks to be 45 degrees its not, its actually 55 degrees.
    To get the roll on the top was way to expensive so i ordered a length of 1" OD x 16swg bright CDS tube and will weld it in place, could be a tricky job !!!

Seriously thinking of bonding the stake bed pockets on instead of plug welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. langy

langy langys rodshop

Seem to have spent a lot of time today but very little to show for it !!! I bit the bullet and finished the tailpipes out the side, had to make a mount for it, bit simpler than the front mount, Got 2 rubber mounts up front so one is fine in the rear. just a piece of stainless bar scooped out to fit on the tube and drilled and tapped to take a old style Mini cotton reel mount. all bolt in for simplicity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started to make an alternator mount but didn't take any pics, I was originally gonna stick with the original generator but I feel the alternator will be more reliable for a driver.

Advertisements