Isocyanate free 2k paint

1. old yellar Member

Im glad this thread is being kept alive even though my input was halted due to other projects.im going to have a go at uploading some pics of a job I done with the valspar ud429.we'll see how that goes.
    ah, ok that was easy enough.sorry for the poor pics.this wasnt a complete respray, the roof, rear quarters and the drivers side wing were all done.the rest of the car was already done in iso 2k.your views please? Btw these pics were taken about 6 months after the event.

78 capri 001.jpg 78 capri 004.jpg 78 capri 003.jpg

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    is it fully hard like 2k now mr yellow ?

pics look fine , cant tell any differance , is that so in person ?

3. old yellar Member

Its as hard as the rest of the paint but not as tough as iso 2k as stated before.as I think i said to ye before steve, I would like to have a go at hot potting this stuff so as to cut down on the thinners as its def a draw back.i know the pro's will never be using this but as a safe trade off for home use I still think this is a runner.i have tried heating the uni binder before and it thins out great so I dont see any reason why the thinners cant be cut right back on.more experimentation needed me thinks.

4. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Ive finally had chance to try the non iso stuff, kinda mixed the primer wrong thought it was 4-1 oops but I did put slightly more hardener in so probably worked out ok in the end, its hardened off ok. Im trying it on a spare wing first so I can get the feel for it before I do the whole shell etc.

Ive got a few questions regarding the mixing of it, Jawel say for paint & primer 2-1 +15% thinners, I left the ud429 in warm water for an hour or so before using to thin it a bit, think it worked to some degree! I found I needed to add a little more thinners than 15% as also mentioned in this thread, but on the Valspar data sheet Mixing ratio is 100:50:50 am I right in thinking for example 200ml paint 100ml non iso hardener 100ml 2k thinners? thats a lot of thinners, has anybody actually mixed it to this ratio?

Primered, few runs due to me slipping on the edges, got a set of durablocks delivered yesterday so good chance to try them out..

[​IMG]

Got a IR heater in there maintaining 22c

Cant wait to try the colour now, purchased a Devilbiss GTi Pro Lite a few weeks back so chomping at the bit to give it a go!!

Gaz

5. langy

langy langys rodshop

What temp was the panel ???

6. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Dont know mate tbh, the IR heater is not pointed directly at the panel, the panels not cold to the touch though.. Its a brick shed I built onto the end of the garage last year 3m x 1.5m Not huge but enough to store the general crap and dry panels :laughing:

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

The problem with the IR heaters is they only heat anything close to it I find, Its not really a great time of the year to be painting really, if you have a heater trying warming the panel up first.

8. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Im only trying the paint out to see what its like, not doing the car till May/June time, just practicing at the moment.. I'll try heating the panel up first on the next practice run. I actually sprayed the wing in the garage then moved it too the shed, not the best method :whistle:

9. As you have found Jawel keep telling people the wrong ratio. If you mix it as per the datasheet it is a lot better, but still high solvent content as you point out. Higher than proper 2k but still better than the 50/50 mix of cellulose.

10. old yellar Member

I left the ud429 in warm water for an hour or so before using to thin it a bit, think it worked to some degree!

Can I just ask ye burrows, did you find that the ud429 loosened up a lot after been heated, was it actually warm to the touch.when I heated it I used a heat gun and it was warm.did ye find it sprayed better and is there in your opinion much chance of cutting down on the thinners to say 20%.

11. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

I think it loosened it up but it was in my garage prior to going in the kitchen sink and it was 2c in the garage at the time, tin was really cold. Im going to be top coating the wing on Friday morning, so will try it with less thinner and warm the UD429 again, plus ive brought it in the house now with the paint (the wife doesnt know!!), got an old sump guard I made for the car years ago, so I may experiment with different amounts of thinners and see how it sprays.

I've not used proper 2k before so cant comment how different this non iso stuff is compared to it, but personally I really like it up to now. I know the conditions are not the best this time of year, just trying to get some practice in before the warmer weather gets here. I sprayed the 2nd lot of primer on Sunday evening after sanding the first two coats from Saturday (80 grit scratches showing through :whistle:) and its still slightly soft, if you press your finger nail hard into it, a very slight and I mean slight impression is left. How long did your Capri take to fully harden Old Yellar?

I do have some Maxmeyer 8000 2k hardener and a Gerson 2k face mask ( I know not the best mask to use!), I was thinking about trying it on the other wing to compare against, not sure what wether to try it or not yet..

I need to install some plastic sheeting in my garage first before top coating only to stop all the heat rising into the loft, got a few industrial heaters to heat the garage before spraying, cant be bothered transferring wing from garage to shed after each coat this time.. So if I can get that done before Friday or Friday morning then I'll get it sprayed and post up my results and see how it hardens and looks.

Gaz

12. old yellar Member

I left the capri for a week before touching it, more becuase I hadnt got the time to more so than not being able to.i think it was a little soft the next day but after that I wasnt near it for a week.i would place the binder in boiling water from the kettle as apposed to tap hot water if it were me or another way to do it would be to mix up your paint, thinners and binder and place the whole mix in hot water.best of luck

13. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Our tap water is like boiling water :laughing: I'll give the kettle water a go, the thinner the better really. I've got two tins of the UD429, I'll try one heated up and the other as is and see what the difference is, be handy to know!

14. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    When I tried the unibinder in primer I wasn't massively impressed, I found it picked up easily sanding dry so had no choice but to wet sand, then when I applied basecoat over it I found the thinner content softened it and I had a few problems, I then changed to proper 2k, if I needed to I would try it in top coat or clear but I wouldn't use it in primer again, maybe I did something wrong but I am not sure.

15. In my opinion it is useless in primer, it is only suitable for top coats. As it is not a hardener you can't build with it like proper 2k. You are far better off using epoxy primer, at least that won't react or sink.

16. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Is there a epoxy primer that doesn't use a 2k hardener? All the ones I've seen use 2k hardener, maybe I'm not looking properly :whistle:

I did notice it clogs the sandpaper very quick and ended up like Daz of wet sanding it.

17. You are using the wrong stuf then! Epoxy primer is 2 component but does not contain Isocyanates. If you buy decent stuff, say Lechler, then a day or two drying is all you need before sanding. I can flat to 800 dry straight from the gun if I have to. Mirka Abranet shows no clogging problems, unless sanding takes place before it has fully cured.

18. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    I painted bonnet on my car with 2 coats of hb body epoxy, guide coated it and flatted with p400 dry was far better than unibinder primer, I since invested in airfed so top coated with 2k direct gloss,

19. old yellar Member

sounds like the same primer I used, hb body epoxy only I was told it had to be top coated within 24hrs or so.there was no hardener, just primer and 2k thinners.i wet sanded aswell but it worked very well for me.

20. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Cheers guys, handy to know. Will buy some Lechler and give that a go..

The only other epoxy I've used before is the Jotsmastic 87, Not ideal for panels etc.

Gaz

Advertisements