Isocyanate free 2k paint

1. MonsterLandrover

MonsterLandrover Articifer In Metals

Lincolnshire, UK
    Just been on the bay and came across Isocyanate free 2k paint from Jawel. has any one used this type and is it any good?

I was just about to go out and buy an air fed mask and compressor for it, but if its any good, there maybe no need!

2. old yellar Member

hi monster,as you may have seen there is a thread on this a wee bit back and it seems info is a bit scetchy on the product although jawel are a reputable company.i have been meaning to post on another of there products i have used recently,its the uni-binder they sell from valspar.it basicly makes 2k paint into an air dry paint rather than needing the hardener.i only used it the other day and i have to say its very good.right now you would struggle to tell the difference from the real thing.its got excelent gloss and flowed out really nice.there is some orange peel to be dealt with but that would prob be down to my techniq as im not a pro by any stretch.time will tell as to gloss retention but i will be using it again.cant see why its not used more widely tbh.

3. MonsterLandrover

Lincolnshire, UK
    Just looked at this again. It is actually uni-binder they include with this kit as the hardener. Would this work with any 2k paint or do you need the isocyanate free base and thinner?

4. old yellar Member

really i cant be 100% on weather thats the case or not.i only got the valspar product of them and added it to 2k acrylic from my local paint supplier and used 2k thinners.it went over a high build primer compatable with 2k over coat.i would suggest a test panel first but really i dont foresee any probs as long as your base is 2k safe.we realy need more feedback on these products as what worked for me may not work for some one else.it may stop us from using nasty chemicals that can kill us.

5. Chipper Member

You'd really want to do a good lot with this stuff and see how it lasted over several months at least, and pref a year or two. Does it spray as nicely, does it sand as well as catalysed paint, does it polish up as well. How is it for spot repairs.

And the big one - if it's that great, why isn't used everywhere?

6. old yellar Member

couldnt agree more.it needs to last the test of time.regards sanding i havnt had time to go at the orange peel yet so i'll up date when i do.regards spraying as nicely ye need to remember that the 10-15% thinners normally used with 2k isnt any good with this product,its really gloopy stuff.they recomend 1:50:50 mix but i found that i had to use a little more thinners than that.it does flow out nicely and in the hands of a pro i think the results would be similar to iso catalyst paint.but you are correct in asking why its not being used everywere.really just need to wait and see if its still up to the job in 2 years time.

7. jbretel Member

UK - Guernsey
    No Pearls or metallics

Boo Hoo - got really excited when reading this, so called Jawel and they said that unfortunately the paint only comes in standard colours - no pearls or metallics - and I have a Tahiti Blue Pearl Mini to respray - totally gutted.

Looks like its the 1K/Cellulose route after all (Spray, Sand, Spray, Sand, Spray, Sand ad infinitum).

Ho Hum. :(

8. MonsterLandrover

Lincolnshire, UK
    Pants! Thanks for doing more research though! Much appreciated.

9. old yellar Member

why not pick your color up in norm 2k and just use the unibinder.as already stated it works well,but as also stated before there is very little info available as to longevity.

10. Leedsutd

Leedsutd Mad welder up North

Cupar Scotland
  11. Chipper Member

Straight colours there, but for a pearl you'll most likely end up doing clear over base.

12. old yellar Member

just as a quick update on this unibinder,i was doing a little experimenting with an old panel i had lying round.after spraying it a couple of days ago i decided to throw some 2k thinners at it to see what happened,as ye do.and yes you guessed it,it doesnt stand up.so then i thought about shrinkage etc if a second coat was needed to be applied.so i resprayed it fairly wet but not running remembering the quite large amount of thinners within.that was about 12 hrs ago now and no sign of cracking.....yet.we'll see what happens i guess.in a few days i will feck some petrol at it and update again.prob to much time on me hands.

13. old yellar Member

ok i can confirm it stands up to petrol after 2 days.i poured it on and then rubbed it on and it had no effect what so ever.has anyone any other ideas i could test,things that dont bother iso 2k???i didnt have any brake fluid to hand but will try that too.

14. Acetone would be interesting plus vigorous scrubbing with thinners.

15. old yellar Member

have now tried white spirit which didnt touch it.sythetic thinners which i suppose would be like turps,it was able to get to it and nitromorse got to it eventually after bout 10 mins of rubbing,it really is "naff".so as you can see the unibinder aint really any match for iso 2k in the solvent attack debate but it does a lot better than any 1k system ive ever seen and its much better to use imo so far.ive been taken a few pics i'll try to add as soon as i find my connection for the camara.

16. Steelej Member

Uk
    I need to paint the underside of my front bumper, meant to do it last year but never got round to it, i've got the basecaot and was planning on 1k clear, but if this is more durable then it would make more sense, it's undoubtedly going to get all scraped again so will be a regular maintenance task so doesn't need to be as durable as proper 2k. Could someone post a link to the kit and the uni binder so I know what i'm looking for?

Thanks.

John.

17. old yellar Member

hey john,if ye google valspar UD429 you will get to the unibinder or you can check out the bay for the kit.the kit looks a wee bit expensive for what your doing lad.i would suggest looking at just the unibinder and buy the paint locally.it will work with any acrylic 2k plus you will have a wider choice of colors.just be sure you use a 2k thinner at every stage.

18. Steelej Member

Uk
  19. old yellar Member

really cant say ive ever seen it around.its prob a case of all these products being basicly the same but that does seem to really highlite the need for decent temps or a low bake oven.

20. greenboy Member

uk
    hi as this is iso free can it be used using a charcoal mask , i do some smart repairs and wheel refurbs at work now only once or twice a week just in a workshop also how long do the a2 filters last i seal them up in a ziplock bag after each use many thx

Advertisements