Isocyanate free 2k paint

1. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    I would say reason it reacts when painted over the colour is due to the higher thinners content as apposed to using normal 2k primer,

2. Steelej Member

Uk
    Just on the thining discussion, i painted some more parts with the unibinder this weekend and they came out great, the thinning ratio is 2 parts clear, 1 part unibinder and 1 part thinner, so if you use 100ml of clear you need to use 50ml of unibinder and 50ml of thinner, i'm getting a really nice finish from the gun using this ratio. And my panels i painted last year with the unibinder still look no different to the rest of the car so it's held up very well :)

John.

3. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    Good to know as I am unsure if I will continue with unibinder or use proper hardener I am going to try some proper hardener this week and compare to the unibinder I have already applied will see how the sanding compares.

4. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Another revival post to this thread! Im restoring an old Nissan GTi-R most of the fabrication work is complete, Jotamastic 87 the underside next. Im now at the stage of researching what paint to use for the respray next year. Ive ruled out normal 2k, not got the setup at home. Originally i was going to use celly, but after researching stumbled across the Jawel ISO free 2k, really interested using it from what ive read on here.

Has anybody got anymore views on this iso free 2k?

And can it be applied safely wearing a quality charcoal filter mask?

My neighbours house is quite close to my garage, although i'll be taking precautions and rigging up a extraction system through the garage loft and venting paint fumes out the soffit away from there house, i want to know if the paints safe enough to use at home, otherwise back to celly..

Thanks

Gaz

5. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Looking at their web site, the prices for the kits seem quite cheap, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used them. The other alternative is water based paint, like Octoral, Lechler Hydrafan, and so on. Much more expensive than the Jawel stuff though.

6. Rocketman Member

Several people have suggested on this site you don't get the performance with iso free 2K. So it sounds like you would be just as well to stick to 1k acrylic.

On the GTI-r Personally I would do the prep work with it fully primed and then take it to a body shop to be sprayed in proper 2k.

7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    dont under estimate what a complete stink up even a couple of panels will make with any spray paint , and overspray will stick to stuff like peoples cars over some distance

8. Jawel say that the mix is 2:1 plus 15%. This is the mix I have used today and it goes on nicely with a 1.3 LVLP gun at 20lbs. Took a while to go off, longer than the aerosol primer I used underneath. I managed to put fingerprints in the paint nearly an hour later, but another area of the car went on and hardened as expected. Leaving it until tomorrow to see if it hardens enough to flat and repaint. Left the paint in the gun, so trust it will not coagulate overnight!

The reason for me using the unibinder is to experiment with blending. I am hoping that it will be easier to compound into the rest of the panel, like cellulose. It is also saving me from having to,get dressed up and get the air fed out.

9. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

I take it your garage is heated then? Do you get a bad smell from this paint? Looking forward to using this stuff next year, using Jotamastic 87 w/g for the first time tomorrow, hopefully goes well!

Gaz

10. I have central heating, yes. Temp probably 16 degrees or so. I was surprised at how little smell there was. The aerosol primer could be smelled all the way through the building, but strangely, almost nothing from the non iso. No idea what standard 2k mix smells like of course, maybe that is the same? Not about to find out. ;-)

11. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

ahhhh the joys of central heating in the garage, unfortunately my garage is detached :-(

Handy to know about the smell, cheers for that mate

Gaz

12. langy

langy langys rodshop

Why did you use aerosol primer underneath ???

13. langy

langy langys rodshop

Will be to late to save your gun now but never leave 2 pack paint in the gun any longer than you have to, if it's dry on the job it will be the same in the gun !!!

14. Well I have come in to find that the paint is still sticky. I was convinced that this hardenber was a Jawel product, but it is actually branded "Autopaint". That means that it could be anything up to ten years old. Maybe that is why it didn't have much smell.

So, it wouldn't be fair to slate the product without trying some fresh.

Langy, I think the gun is safe, the remains in the mixing cup are still the consistency of milk. Just the pain of having to get the air fed out and not being able to blend the panels as I was hoping. The aerosol was on the recommendation of my local bodyshop. As The topcoat was air dry, seemed little reason to go 2K or Epoxy for the primer. I MAY just go epoxy primer now. Is it a 2 hour flash before topcoating, I can't remember?

15. It won't go off in the gun because it's not really 2k (hardened) paint.

16. langy

langy langys rodshop

Going by your 2-1 + 15% I assumed it was 2 pack ???
    At a decent temp it should be touch dry much quicker.
    I would suggest you get some decent paint.
    I leave epoxy 1 hr before overcoating but my shop is usually around 20-25 degrees
    I remember Autopaint well, it was cheap paint in the day, I didn't use it but I know some that did, went on well but faded quite quickly.

17. Mixing at 15% thinners it won't have as much smell as cellulose for two reasons.

1. Cellulose is mixed at 50% so there's more to start with.
    2. I don't agree with the mixing ratio Jawel give as the Unibinder is way thicker than 2k hardener, so in my opinion it needs to be mixed at 2:1+1 i.e. much more thinners. As you have mixed it at 15% it will not atomise as well as cellulose or even normal 2k because it is so thick. Therefore less smell will get into the air.

18. The unibinder I have is the consistency of thinners. Maybe that's another clue? Anyway, all stripped off again now and I have decided to go epoxy and 2K. Shame because the repair work looked perfect, just hadn't gone off.

19. Worth sticking with the 2k, the Unibinder paint will only blend easier if the paint you are blending onto is also Unibinder or 1k. If it's 2k you are blending onto it won't melt in.

20. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    they must have a different uni binder then now as the one I tried was as thick treacle and I needed 2:1 then 1 part thinner to get it to spray. Since bought an airfed though and changed to normal 2k as it didn't harden off as much as I liked and reacted with other coats when the thinner overcoated it

Advertisements