2K Safety - Leason learnt

1. jordan1 Member

Just like anything else that can be dangerous, just take informed care but don't get paranoid about it.

2. PSweeney Member

Herts
    Another point to note in case people don't know is that ISO can permeate through latex, so nitrile gloves are needed when handling / mixing etc.

vw1 likes this.
  3. Ian James Member

I was talking to a guy I met whilst away with the caravan who was a retired ICI employee and they had to use masks regularly and underwent a stubble test if they failed that there was shaving gear on site that they had to use before being retested

brightspark likes this.
  4. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    I was up my mates scrap yard the other day & a mutual friend popped in, he has chronic copd & asthma & can barely walk 20 ft before having to sit down, he was struggling to breathe & it sounded horrendous. much as i like the bloke i was glad to get away. He reckons in his case it appears to have been caused by exposure to 2 pack paint & came on quite suddenly, following a big floor painting job they did with poor ventilation & no masks.
    He got a payout but would much rather have his lungs back.

mrsbruce, Burdekin and Parm like this.
  5. Andzejus1981

Andzejus1981 Member

6. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

2k paints is my hobby horse of mine

I know most of you won’t agree with me but.....................

They should be banned for sale unless you can demonstrate that your a professional user with understanding of what they can do to you and what control measures are required

No argument, no discussion. END OFF

I’ve seen what 2k does to the innocent home (and professional) user who all think they know.

7. carbon

carbon Member

From the manufactures own pdf on the mask Moldex 9000 series

DO NOT USE AGAINST
    1. Concentrations of contaminants which are unknown, or are immediately dangerous
    to life or health.
    2. Concentrations of contaminants which exceed the maximum use concentration or
    10x times the OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit, (PEL), when qualitatively fit tested,
    or 50x times the PEL when quantitatively fit tested, or according to applicable
    government regulations.
    3. Gases or vapors with poor warning properties or those which generate high heats of
    reaction, or paint sprays containing isocyanates.
    4. Sandblasting.
    5. Oil-based mists with N filters.

8. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    From what i have seen in the boat trade "professional" use is no guarantee of safe practice, In my time a boatbuilder i painted quite a few boats with 2 pack polyurethane, mostly brush jobs but got into spray at the end. I was always careful & wore respirators & ppe. But too many guys i know have lung problems. The old boy i refered to earlier is 68 but looks 98, he ended up in hospital recently & spent a week on oxygen. He made it out, just.
    I dont touch the stuff now.

Parm likes this.
  9. JenniferLW New Member

Parm,

Thanks for these details on safety - Can I follow up with a question - I am not a welder... I'm a maid of honor and last night decided to spray some glass jars for favors using 2k glass paint that I bought from Pro Aerosols. I asked Pro Aerosols what mask I would need and they suggested a 3M 7500 half face mask so I bought that and had a face visor on with glasses - I sprayed for around 3 minutes in the garden (no one else around), but from reading these posts I am concerned that I should have had an air feed and full body suit?

I want to do more spraying but really need some clarity on PPE.

Be really grateful for comments / advice.

Thank you.

10. Parm

Drop me a pm a pm and we can have a chat

11. hurricane Member

A very close friend of our family was a painter by trade and there was many times I seen him spraying without a mask full stop. He used 2K paints day in and day out.

He lost a lot of weight in a short period, camera revealed tumour in his stomach, x-ray showed it in his lungs, also in his liver......he was only around 50 years old, very sad end.

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

if it was his trade and used regular he should have known better

Morrisman and the snooper like this.
  13. hurricane Member

I guess you could say the same with smoking, drinking and drugs......we all know the risks but i guess the, "it wont happen to me" attitude takes over for a lot of people.

14. Bobo Member

Other workers in bodyshops are also sometimes affected eg maintenance personnel, managers and others who work in close proximity to spray booths/rooms.

Makes me wonder if this is what my Uncle has got! He started his own bodyshop in the early 70's, he only sold the business about 3 years ago. My Dad put him up a pair of sliding doors to use as a paint booth/room in the mid '70s.

He's been very unwell over the last few months with breathing difficulties. My Dad think's it's down to the Dust from his Bird aviary, but I think it's from the paint shop.

15. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I bought some 2k primer last week for my hot rod. The paint shop sold me a mask that they reckon was good enough for the job, and I’ve spoken to many painters over the years who say the right mask will suffice. I used the same paint and mask type some ten years ago and have used the same mask for acrylic several times over the years, but I bought a new one this time.

After reading this thread I think I will wear a full disposable suit, and leave all my garage doors open. I’m not after a show finish, so a few bug footprints in the paint won’t hurt.

I was warned long ago to use the mask even when mixing the paint, and cleaning the spray gun. I use HVLP, so a lot less overspray and dust than a normal gun.

16. Well it is unlikely to be! The danger of a negative pressure mask is the seal. Unless the seal conforms perfectly to your face, you will be at risk. A positive pressure mask will not allow that to happen and is much more pleasant to wear. Also your face and eyes are protected with a positive pressure mask.

Very good decision. You also need to be aware of other people and animals in the vicinity. Anywhere near the general public could get you into bother.

The danger is in the spray mist. Mixing and passive cleaning does not create the mist. There is however a Dermatitis risk as there is with any chemical, if the skin is exposed to it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Morrisman and carbon like this.
  17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Does it contain isocyanates Not all 2k paints do.

18. Good point. Epoxy is 2K but isocyanate free.

19. Parm

Both are strong candidates for the symptoms being experienced. Easy enough to pin point the diagnosis if the medical people are given all the information about employment and lifestyle, hobbies etc

20. Bobo Member

I know some of them are isocyanate free, but not necessarily all of them I dont think. You'd have to check the individual data spec sheets from different manufacturers.

Advertisements