2K Safety - Leason learnt

1. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/bodyshop/isocyanates.htm

hsg276.pdf

A website link and HSE publication on Isocyanates giving all the information that you should need.

Isocyanates are stupidly dangerous to your health. The only form of RPE that should ever be used of [positive pressure air fed kit with full face mask

• Attached Files:

hsg276.pdf
      File size:
      743.3 KB
      Views:
    anto likes this.
  2. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

read the hse document from the government Web site

brightspark, Parm and anto like this.
  3. anto Forum Supporter

From the links you provided the bit in bold isn't entirely correct. An air fed half mask may also be used, the document shows a picture of the one I have been considering. It does show the operative wearing goggles with the half mask as well however.

As you have noted it does say that iso's are not absorbed through the skin or eyes although the liquid paint will irritate the skin.

4. the snooper

Does a half face air fed have the visual gauge in your vision showing you that the pressure hasn't fallen

5. anto Forum Supporter

No, it says that it has to be a "constant airflow supply" when using a half mask.

The exact wording is;

"Use visor-type, air-fed BA with a low-flow indicator, or half-mask BA (with constant airflow supply) when spraying isocyanate-based products." - Ref; Safety in isocyanate paint spraying HSE

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg388.htm

6. the snooper

Full face is constant but you have a visual to the side of your eye that the pressure is remaining constant and at a safe level

anto likes this.
  7. anto Forum Supporter

I just updated the post you quoted with the exact wording.

8. Parm

Bullet point No 3 taken from the section titled Vehicle Paint Sprayers web site info I provided

Always wear air-fed breathing apparatus (BA) when spraying and know how to safely leave or enter your booth or room during the clearance time

9. anto Forum Supporter

I don't and haven't disagreed with that^^^^^

10. Parm

But did you not suggest the my info in bold text wasn't entirely correct ??

Just for further clarification, positive pressure respirator is a generic term describing a particular type of RPE. It works by providing air under pressure such that the breathing zone remains under positive pressure thus eliminating the possibility of breathing in dirty air as you draw breath.

There are several types of positive pressure RPE as are illustrated on page 3 of HSG 276. The first and most common is the visor type like you see most painters wearing. There is no seal required around the nose and mouth and the unit requires more air to maintain a zone of positive pressure. Most often people find these more comfortable to wear as they are not tight on the face.

A newer type is what looks like a "normal" type respirator with built in goggles. Ive see these in use and the advantage they bring is that they use less air as they also rely on a seal around the nose and mouth.

In my professional opinion and from what ive picked up while visiting spraying operations the first type which consists of a simple visor type arrangement is by far the most effective and comfortable solution for providing control against Isocyanates exposure.

Importantly Page 3 of the same document also shows examples of the types of respirator that should never be used.

Finally have a look at the case studies detailed on the web page link.

Member 66062 likes this.
  11. anto Forum Supporter

It wasn't.
    You stated that the only form of RPE that is sufficient was an air fed full face mask when in fact an air fed half mask is also acceptable which was my question in the first place.

Regardless, thank you for pointing me in the direction of the HSE documents. I got the info required and I will be safer when doing any future spraying.

the snooper likes this.
  12. hal 1 Member

lancs england
    I have a small job to do which I'd like to do with 2 pack, however I'll be brushing it on, I'll be outdoors and will have a carbon filter mask, gloves etc.
    Do you think this will be enough for protection ?
    It's not essential that 2 pack is used but I know that there's a better finish with it
    Thanks

monky harris likes this.
  13. Standard mask, gloves etc is adequate for brushing. It is the spray mist that is the dangerous issue, which you will not have. Just keep it all off your skin.

Fintray likes this.
  14. hal 1 Member

lancs england
    Thanks AJ
    I had a feeling it would be but other peoples opinions help
    Thanks again

15. hal 1 Member

lancs england
    I'll be doing everything outside so I should be OK
    I'll still be covered up though
    Thanks

16. Gwil Member

Remember you hipsters, or just bearded old farts like me. NO mask is anything like 100% effective over a beard. A paint rep showed me this here in Portugal- they had a setup using a vacuum gauge and bearded and unbearded model heads.

Bit scary, I've always strapped mine on tight and hoped for the best...

Member 66062 likes this.
  17. brightspark

brightspark Member

I've sprayed loads and used to have a beard didn't need showing when u had red paint straining through it and on the hairs then blow your nose with a tissue

Gwil likes this.
  18. samh Member

A popular misconception is the spray mist is the danger.yes while it is dangerous even more so is after the spraying and during curing the isocyanite will be present and has a habit of lingering in the corners of you booth/ workshop.obvisely it is invisible but highly toxic.by the way I've been spraying for 30 years but still am aware of the danger

19. winchman

winchman Member

A mask should only be worn if you have passed a face fit test for that brand and model of mask, with any sort of facial hair you may struggle to pass, then you need to wear a hood, to be honest I would rather wear a hood than a mask.

20. winchman

winchman Member

A mask should only be worn if you have passed a face fit test for that brand and model of mask, with any sort of facial hair you may struggle to pass, then you need to wear a hood, to be honest I would rather wear a hood than a mask.

Ian James likes this.
Advertisements