2K Safety - Leason learnt

1. Bobo Member

Turns out his diagnosis is not good at all as of the last day or two. He's in his mid 70's and has just been told he's got Cancer of the Liver and Lungs.

2. Bobo Member

All this considered what's peoples opinion on spraying 2k aerosol epoxy primer. I bought 2 cans and now I'm seriously considering not using them at all. They would be used outside round my lockup so not in a confined space at all.
    Anyone think a good quality full face mask would suffice? I know the hse's recommendation is nothing but a full face Airfed mask.

3. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    epoxy isnt iso

4. Bobo Member

Some of them aren't, but that doesn't mean they all aren't. The details on the side of my epoxy aerosol states they have things in them that are or maybe be Carcinogenic and dangerous to humans.

5. Wot e sed!

Check the material data sheet if ever you are unsure. Epoxy primer is iso free, so air fed is not mandatory. However check for yourself rather than taking any stranger’s word for it.

skotl likes this.
  6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    end of the day no paint spraying will do us any favours

ajlelectronics likes this.
  7. Everything Man made will have something to get the Green Meanie's knickers in a knot. The sensible thing is to read the information and make an assessment yourself of the risk v reward. If you are scared of your own shadow due to drinking Hydrogen Dioxide and putting Aqua in your bath, then it is better to pay someone else to do the job. :D

Dcal and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

You really don't want to be drinking Hydrogen Dioxide! :o

bigegg, eSCHEn and ajlelectronics like this.
  9. Bobo Member

Direct reply from the manufacturers of the aerosol cans.

Good morning Robert,
    Your product is a 2K epoxy material and contains no isocyanates. Epoxies usually cure with amines.
    In order to protect your respiratory tract, we recommend a mask with the protection level P1 / A2.
    If you have any further questions, dont hesitate to contact us.

10. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

You would be OK with hydrogen monoxide.

Two chemists walk into a bar:
    First says "I'll have a pint of H20"
    Second one says "I'll have H20 too"

Second one dies, horribly

slim_boy_fat and Fintray like this.
  11. Seano

Seano Member

Done a lot of spraying of all types of paint over the years, heavily involved in custom car work, and would never use anything but a filtered air fed hood, I knew a guy who had been spraying 2K for years without proper protection, he ended up in a severe vegetative state, rotted his neural pathways.

12. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    What exactly would you be looking for on a data sheet that relates to isocyanates. Is it a specific chemical? I recently checked through a data sheet for Lechler 29370 epoxy primer hardener and became overwhelmed with the technicalities. I'm just about to order up some and primer and would like a hardener with no isocyanate . https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com...ded/17 29370 Lechsys Epoxyprimer Hardener.pdf

13. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

Isocyanates are the activator in 2k paint systems. Should be listed as isocyanates, but quite common to find them listed by thier empirical chemical formula

HDI - hexamethylene di isocyanate

MDI - methylene diphenyl di isocyanate

TDI - toluene Di isocyanate

If this is a 2k paint system there should be another MSDS

IF this is an epoxy paint it may still have another data sheet, quite often they don’t contain isocyanates, but they are another whole world of pain if epoxy.

14. carbon

carbon Member

As the lechler epoxy doesn’t contain isocyanates your not going to find it listed but as @Parm has said it usually the 2k hardener that has it

This lists isocyanates on page two and three.

Parm likes this.
  15. Parm

The one you list is very interesting HDI but listed incorrectly and the one below IPDI, very very rarely see this one.

Alarm bells are ringing

16. carbon

carbon Member

It was the first one I found on the lechler site rather than searching for anything specific

Parm likes this.
  17. Parm

Just goes to show how complex this can be. I’ve known about this sort of stuff all my working life, even I was surprised

18. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    So reading through this I gather the Lechler epoxy paint or hardener has NO isocyanates listed in the data sheets, correct?. My intention is to roller this product Lechler 29107 and hardener 29370 epoxy primer outside in the open with goggles / nitryl gloves white body overalls with hood and EN 141 mask (3m 6000 ) . with all your experience would you consider this is a safe bet with no associated risks with isocyanates?

19. Parm

Pm me the data sheets for the products your planning to use. Generally application by roller is at the safer end of the spectrum when considering rush of exposure by inhalation

20. You need to be using a decent filter mask for spraying, although air fed is not a mandatory requirement. Painting or rolling is not creating an airborne mist, so nothing special required. Frankly I don't bother when brushing, but wouldn't tell you to do the same.

Advertisements