2K Safety - Leason learnt

1. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Why did you post the above ????

Parm likes this.
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

pure stupidity to be honest .safer using a Gerson mask than pumping your face with contaminated air. I've used compressors for years with airfed helmet for blasting and the comp is no where near the crap and I use a decent in line filter

Parm likes this.
  3. Parm

Parm Let The Games Commence

Yep definitely mistake placing the intake of the compressor in the same environment that the airborne hazard is being created

4. Read it again Parm. The compressor was, but it sealed and was fed by fresh air from a 4" duct from the roof. The flexible coupling to that duct had become perforated.

ukracer likes this.
  5. IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0582.JPG

6. Parm

I have just re read your original message in post #118. There is no mention of intake arrangements other than compressor being in the same room that you spray in. My comment of the set up being a mistake is in direct refference to info supplied in post 118. Additional information and photos have been supplied afterwards. You may have know what you meant but it certainly wasn't very clear now looking at the pictures.

I'd suggest that you get some flexible metal ducting as the kitchen type won't stand up very well to the solvents found in paints

7. Not having a go Parm, I realise that my description wasn't as eloquent as it could have been!

I suppose I should have checked the flexi more often, or used something a bit more durable. I did that 18 months ago and I think the vibration is what did it in. I have ordered a metal hose for the refit and I will give it regular inspections from now on.

I am hopefully buying a secondhand shed, so will relocate the whole thing when time and weather allow.

Parm likes this.
  8. ukracer Forum Supporter

What exactly was the mistake?

9. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ok that makes sense...I was not sure if you meant using rubber hose air Intake

10. Fixed in the short term, while we are building the outdoor housing...

IMG_2122.JPG

With the compressor running, there is a lot of vibration in the hose, so no wonder the plastic one died. This one is corrugated aluminium and deforms easily to the contours of the intake filter. It has been Jubilee clipped and double sealed with tape.

The adapter into the duct is a standard tumble dryer hose end with the "thread" cut away. It fits just right.

Parm likes this.
  11. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

You could have screwed an adaptor into the compressor head then used some heavy duty rubber hose with an adaptor in the end to attach the air filter then seal it into the larger pipe you have going out side, vibration wouldn't be an issue then

brightspark likes this.
  12. Parm

just make sure the solvent vapours don't attack the gaffer tape

13. 'Tis only a temporary job and will not be seeing 2 pack again until it is in its new house, which has just arrived. Utter junk, but it will do what I need of it!

14. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I use vacuum cleaner hose to extend the inlet on my compressor, it's designed to work with a lower pressure on the inside than the outside.

15. anto Forum Supporter

Is it essential that it is a full face air fed mask or would an air fed half mask do the same job?
    I bought a 3m half mask with carbon filters after reading that this was sufficient for 2k. On reading this thread it appears this is not the case.
    The reason i ask my initial question is that 3m do an add on for my half mask that makes it air fed. Please see link below;

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/3M0244?s=1

16. How are you going to protect your eyes and exposed facial skin?

17. anto Forum Supporter

From reading this thread I thought the consensus was that 2k is not absorbed by the skin and/ or eyes?

brightspark and SIP-Free like this.
  18. Maybe, but you still have the problem of contact dermatitis, plus the nuisance factor of getting 2K products off your skin before it dries. That means gunwash, so more contact dermatitis risk.

Member 66062 likes this.
  19. anto Forum Supporter

@the snooper where did you read/ get your info that it is a myth that iso's can be absorbed by the skin/ eyes?

20. anto Forum Supporter

I understand your points.
    In my case I spray once in a blue moon so I would imagine my biggest threat would be the inhalation of the iso's rather than continued contact with them.
    IE I wont drop dead with dermatitis but I could drop dead by breathing the iso's in.

Would a simple hood suffice to limit skin exposure?

Advertisements