(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Calm down.......:D

It won't be long before Nr 1 is back and you'd be thinking....."Why the hell did I start on this other one".

2. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Haha. :laughing:

3. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I was supposed to collect this today from the bodyshop, but my low loader guy let me down !! :(.

But, on a plus side, I did get these photos from the painter.

IMG-20170310-WA0000.jpg IMG-20170310-WA0008.jpg IMG-20170310-WA0015.jpg IMG-20170310-WA0016.jpg

Dieselkid 63, Parm, Wallace and 5 others like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

Oddly enough, I was thinking we hadn't had an update for a while - you must be psychic.......:D

B1N9S likes this.
  5. p0689109 Member

Nice shade of red.

6. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I just have to share this. I was going to leave the badge fitting, etc until last, but I just couldn't resist, putting it back and making this look like a car again after all this time.

20170315_213629.jpg

7. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Just noticed this thread for the first time, read every post. Very impressed with your work and passion for the project. Can you remember what your wife looks like?

BarrieJ, B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Well Migmac, she enjoys watching shite on the TV and I enjoy being in the garage, it's a win win !!! I do still see her from time to time !!

But seriously, my lovely wife works shifts that take her to 9pm 3 nights a week and my teenage kids are only interested in exercising their thumbs and the garage is only 10yds from the kitchen, so it's not too bad really. There have been stages where I've had to put the hours in, but mainly it's just pottering in and out.

BarrieJ, slim_boy_fat, Migmac and 2 others like this.
  9. Aerohead

Aerohead Member

What a wonderful restoration job, inspiring, if only I had more free time and your garage.

I had use of this exact car in cream for a summer in the late 1980's, very light car, not slow, FUN to drive in a way no new BMW can possibly be. Hope you get to drive yours soon.

BarrieJ, B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Started bolting items back into the engine bay. I really need to do some cavity waxing, but I just got carried away doing this !!!!

20170322_154211.jpg

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Must be quite a treat to be on this side of it now!

beautiful work...and yeah, I get having to add the emblem!

JP

12. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Thanks guys. It's really nice to get some feedback. Gives you a boost for the project.

JP - Yes mate, this is the nice, fun part now I guess. But I have scratched the paint a couple of times, which is a bit annoying, but it will go back to the bodyshop for a touch up and they said they will give it a final polish after I have put it back together.

The subframes are also not in their final state. I want to remove them both and sort some minor niggles. Before dropping in the engine.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. DavidS16 Member

Love this, cant wait to see it finished. Wasnt sure the colour was going to be decent but it looks awesome. Great work.

B1N9S likes this.
  14. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Spent the day sorting out the rear axle. The bodyshop managed to get overspray all over the freshly powder coated springs and my new Koni's

I also needed to fit the LSD and driveshafts. So, off it came, cleaned & painted over the mess and fitted the necessary bits and pieces.

Just need to torque everything up once its on it's wheels. I might replace those nasty looking old bolts on the diff hanger too - they look ugly !!!! [​IMG]

GEDC1885.JPG

15. slim_boy_fat

Such attention to detail, it does you great credit. :thumbup:

16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Yeah, those two bolts ruin the whole thing!....;) ;)

its automotive eye candy for sure...what a nice looking project

JP

17. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Tii is back in the bodyshop for a bit of remedial work. So, a bit more done to project #2. Stripped out both subframes and fuel tank and I couldn't resist, doing a test fit of the arches and the wheels.

test arches.jpg wheels.jpg

18. slim_boy_fat

What's going to be the 'end story'? You keeping both or selling one on?

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

19. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

There's the dilemma. My problem is that I LOVE a project, but get quickly bored with routine maintenance !!! So, who knows. I've always lusted after a proper 911 or a Alfa 1750 and the Mrs likes VW buses, So............You never know.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    911, VW bus, I'm sure you can find some middle ground there...

B1N9S likes this.
Advertisements