(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Don't worry mate. I wasn't being arsy. Anyway, I have got the guy round this morning and he insists it is because they were rushing to get it done. Which sounds lame, no QC obviously.

He has promised to correct it all at his expense. I also explained that the car will attract lots of attention so it's in his interest to do a great job.

I'll give him one more chance. If only to try and save myself a lot of money. But if he screws it up. I'll just have to throw in the towel and go elsewhere.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It WILL get sorted one way or another.

maxiboy, BarrieJ and slim_boy_fat like this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

upload_2017-6-5_13-53-0.jpeg

3. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    At least he is offering to fix it......thats good. You may want to agree on a reasonable but efficient time frame to keep you all on the same page, and him honest to a reasonable schedule.

maybe agree on viewing the stages of completion...(I know its more work for you going to see it more often.....)

1) sand it flat
    2) get it smooth/prime areas in need
    3) base coat
    4) clear coat

I tend to agree that it is in your best interest to assemble then give back to polish out...Im thinking this will allow small touch ups and gassing out of the paint.......?

JP

4. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers guys. I have told him NOT to try and squeeze it in between 'insurance' jobs and to just let me know when he has a quiet period.
    I tend to agree about the polishing. I quizzed him on this too and he said it's easier to do when the car is complete as the panels are more solid than trying to do it on a tressle. Which is fair enough.

We'll see how it goes.

5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

good to hear lot of work in that dont want it spoiled by a rubish paint job prob got more metal and 10 times more time in it than a new car

6. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Well. Quick update. The "bodyshop" STILL have my car, but I am told it is getting a final polish and once the panels are back on, it's ready for collection. It's only taken them nearly 3 months !!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

Surely, in the name of the Wee Man, they'll have done it to a standard acceptable to you this time!! :cool:

8. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I really hope so. I have had a couple of pictures, but I'll reserve judgement till I see it in the flesh.

IMG-20170810-WA0001[1].jpg IMG-20170817-WA0000[1].jpg

9. Coupster Member

Looks good from here.

10. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I am STILL waiting for these guys to call and let me know the car is ready for collection.....

However, in the meantime. I can't remember if I showed some pics of my bumpers. I had them hydrochromed at a local place, which turned out to be a complete disaster. So, I decided to bite the bullet, get out my wallet and get them properly plated.

These should have a rubber trim going all the way round, but I have deleted it and welded up the holes, for a nice smooth look. They look fantastic. I know it's not much, but every holes a goal and all that ;-) Now I just need the car to fit them to it !!!

GEDC1982.JPG

11. slim_boy_fat

@B1N9S You have the patience of a Saint - I think I'd have camping on their entrance and refusing to leave by now. :)

marlinspike and B1N9S like this.
  12. Rusty

Rusty Member

South West
    Had two 2002's many years ago both blue my one was manual and the Mrs was auto, lovely cars and fantastic work that man ! Very well done.

B1N9S likes this.
  13. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Wey Hey !!! It's back !!!

Paint finish is good, although it looks like it's has a bit of paint dust on the bonnet :mad: (should come out with a wet sand and polish), but the main thing is I'm 99% happy and can finally get cracking with it !!!

The chassis and engine bay are filthy (why the fook they didn't cover it up ?) so, I'll clean those first, before setting on getting the mechanicals finished.

Watch this space !!

As you can see, I have done a fair bit to the other car, whilst the red one was away !!!

GEDC1991.JPG

indy4x, dazza, Parm and 9 others like this.
  14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    congrats at long last!

a lil dust on the bonnet is acceptable all things considered. Looks like they probably learned a thing or two doing it the right way....as Im sure it may have been a bit out of their comfort zone, or at least a bit above their normal practice standards!

car looks great, (both of them)

JP

15. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers JP. Yeh, I can handle the dust, it will polish out. I wouldn't say they learnt about doing it the right way though !! I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone. It's by no means a 10/10 job. But for what I paid I guess I'm happy. But the more I work on the car, the more little things I keep seeing that bug me, but I think that's just me !!

I've been rebuilding the engine bay, this week, so I'll get some nice pics up when I get a chance.

Cheers for all the comments guys. It really does help motivate you.

Wayne

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

I don't know which one I'd rather have, both look excellent!

17. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Isn't the choice obvious, both. But just wait for the other one to get finished

B1N9S likes this.
  18. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Well, the way the market is at the moment, the Tii is probably worth twice the other car. I'll be having a bit of fun with an engine swap and stuff in the 1602, so that will be more for fun than a serious classic.

But, owning both is nice, I have to admit. However, my wallet takes a serious hit every time I open the door to the garage !!

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  19. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

No big updates on this yet. I have just been connecting up the mechanicals slowly, 5 speed box was a pain in the **** to fit, but that's now done. Just need to refit the prop and the exhaust, fill the fluids and I am about ready to fire it up !!!

20. slim_boy_fat

Oddly enough, I was wondering yesterday how progress was. :thumbup:

Advertisements