(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I know mate. I'm just feeling a bit 'hormonal' !!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Quick update. I've not done a huge amount. I've been waiting for a carpet from the States. So, it arrived and I've been cracking on with getting it fitted. Not as simple as it sounds. Needs a fair bit of trimming and glueing. But, we are slowly getting there.

GEDC2113.JPG

GEDC2114.JPG

3. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Carpet finished (more or less). Onwards and upwards. Will be OTR for the summer.

GEDC2123.JPG GEDC2124.JPG

4. Wallace

Wallace Member

That looks a comfy place to be. If you don’t mind me asking, what did the carpet set cost so I can scare the guy that’s hassling me about restoring his ‘74 2002?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

It was about £300 inc taxes. I only bought from the States as it was the only place I could get the Salt & Pepper pattern. There are UK suppliers of plain colours, for about £200. Which is pretty reasonable, I think. I could only find ONE place in the UK selling this pattern and they wanted £650 for a set !

But, to be honest Wallace, EVERYTHING else is expensive on these cars. But, I guess that goes for most classics these days.

Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

All the seats are now retrimmed and looking great, but not yet fitted (pics to follow). I am now working on fitting a remote central locking kit. The kit came with 2 modern flip keys, so I have had a local locksmith make up a pair of keys, which are a cool little touch. I am now working on another nice little modern touch, of having the door pins flashing when locked, by using some fibre optic cable. Small things.......:laughing:

Here's the keys. I love this sort of stuff.

GEDC2128.JPG GEDC2129.JPG GEDC2127.JPG

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Hope you're not going to create a Halfords drive-through :scared: Originality is key to a 2002 imho. But, your car etc......:thumbup: Keep up the good work.

8. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Haha. Gimme a break. I know exactly what you mean. But no. :vsad:

When I say flashing door pins......I mean a 0.75mm piece of fibre, that won't even be noticeable to the untrained eye, until the doors are locked and they'll create a minor theft deterrent (flashing red light). Obviously the key, is a bit Halfrauds. But I couldn't resist that :laughing:

The point of the RCL, is... At some point someone has fitted a different handle to the passenger door, so, I have two different keys that look almost identical, but as you can imagine, you ALWAYS try the wrong one first !! :mad: And only one of those works the ignition, so you do it again, when you get in !!! Also, having RCL, means you don't end up scratching hell out of the paint trying to unlock the doors. :clapping: And, again it's not noticeable and a nice modern addition. You could disregard it and just use the manual keys, if it made you feel more 1970's !!

As for the originality of 2002's, well, originality is the key that's correct, if you're into that. But, if you are ALL about originality, then you wouldn't be buying my car anyway, since it's a restoration and it wasn't wholly original to start with. And, let's face it, we're not talking about a one of a kind Bugatti here.

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

That's Sod's Law in operation. :D When you explain the door pins they don't sound too bling [short video would be good when you get them installed/operational], and I actually approve of the RCL. :thumbup:

B1N9S and Parm like this.
  10. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    Love what you’ve done there. I’ve been toying with the idea of welding up the lock hole on a set of doors I’ve got for my resto, and using RCL. Would stop a screwdriver going through the locks too. I’ve just (a) not got round to it and (b) not brought myself to weld up those holes on what is essentially a NOS set of doors.

It would be great to see how you’ve done the red LEDs too.

11. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Ok. Just for you 'slim' :laughing:

Here are the door pins. As you can see, they're not exactly destroying the car !! They'll obviously be far more noticeable in the dark and easily reversible if someone hates them later on.

They flash to a preset rhythm controlled by the RCL control box.

GEDC2161.JPG

12. slim_boy_fat

:thumbup: Very unobtrusive :clapping:

13. Wallace

Wallace Member

They are very neatly done. :thumbup:

14. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Quick sneak peak. The car is almost finished now. Some minor tasks to finish, before it goes to a professional for a safety check and tune up, etc.

GEDC2168.JPG GEDC2170.JPG

15. Wallace

Wallace Member

Looks good, especially on those wheels.

16. slim_boy_fat

@B1N9S That's a real tribute to all your hard work.

ThumbsUp.jpg

I'd like to have that sitting outside my door.

17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Disagree slim...I think i'd park it in my living room and sit in it to watch me telly.

That looks simply stunning m8....very well done indeed.:hug:

slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  18. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Sorted the timing and some other minor issues... Squealing fan belt, leaking water pipe, leaking clutch MC was sent back to the SS liners, which they sorted out brilliantly (PastParts - can't recommend them enough), rebled the clutch and the brakes.

I just need to fettle the door cards, which are being a pain in the arse to fit, but I think he's ready to go road testing !! Only been 4 years !!!

So......I insured him tonight !!! I might book him in for an MOT and tracking next week....Thanks for all the support over the last couple of years guys. It REALLY does help to motivate you, when there's so much positivity. So, hats off to another great forum. Nice Pic.jpg

19. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I believe you can apply for an MOT exemption for cars over 40 YO starting next month. Form V112

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    such wonderful results! all that care and attention resulted in a very fine automobile!

JP

B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements