(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

That's correct Myles. May 20th. But I can't wait THAT long !!! I need the tracking checking anyway and if it doesn't pass the MOT, at least I'll be able to drive it away and fix it. I believe after May 20th, it becomes difficult to drive away a failure without getting the repair done at the garage.

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

If it's MOT exempt, how does that apply as there'd be no need to take it for testing - other than for your own peace of mind, that is. :confused:

3. Bsmith Member

Cracking job, well done. Looking at your photos reminded me though that my 1973 BMW2002 had pieces attached to the front bumper, think they were called 'over riders'.

4. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

There are a few subtle differences to a standard 72/73 car. The bumpers are completely different, as they have been smoothed. I have however, just received the overriders back from the chromers, so I might refit them. I like them. You can also get smaller ones fitted to earlier cars, which are nicer, IMO.

5. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Sorry, yes mate. I realise that sounds silly now. I meant, if you were inclined to take it for an MOT after that date, for peace of mind as you say !

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Bsmith Member

Now that you mention it, I believe my 2002 bumper was different, but it's a long time back now and my memory is not all it should be. Mine was also red, a shade called 'verona'.

7. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Sounds like a great memory to me Bsmith !! I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone the colour shades of my old cars !! This one is 'Granada'.

Your bumber, would have been the same as mine was originally. Two black rubber strips on the front quarters, with overriders and then a full strip along the rear bumber. That is how this one was, but I have modified them to remove the strips. Hope that makes more sense ?

Bsmith likes this.
  8. Bsmith Member

I remember the paint as I had the whole car resprayed and a black vinyl roof put on after an accident I had, ehmm, rolled over onto roof at high speed, I still have a slight scar.
    Yes, that is exactly how my bumpers were.

B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Read the whole thread through from start to finish last night, absolutely amazing! A credit to you!
    I loved the shot of the tub with virtually no panels left attached!! Very brave.

B1N9S likes this.
  10. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers mate. I think it was brave and stupid, but it worked out ok in the end !!!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

MOT day on Friday and it sailed through. No advisories. The weather has been great here, so it's had a few short drives. I absolutely love it. Drives so nicely and the engine feels really strong. I had a small issue with apparent low oil pressure on idle, but a new sensor has fixed that. I'm going to take it on a longer drive tomorrow, see if I can find some twisty bits. Shouldn't be too difficult........I'm in N Wales !!

MOT day.jpg Passed.jpg MOTday2.jpg

12. Wallace

Wallace Member

What a peach! Hope the weather is as good for you tomorrow as we have had these past couple of days and your face hurts tomorrow night from grinning. :thumbup:

13. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Face is well and truly hurting Wallace..Cheers.

A couple of minor teething problems to sort out. I took a look underneath, just to make sure nothing had fallen off, after it's first couple of days OTR !! Found the NS rear inner dust cover for the stub axle had worked loose, throwing grease around the area :mad:.......I hate dirty cars !! So that'll need to be sorted !!

There are some springs and metal separator things in the rear brake drum assembly, that rattle under braking, which is doing my nut in, so that'll also need looking at.

The gearbox, has a minor oil leak........I really wish I'd changed the seals, when I had it on the floor !! :mad::mad::mad:.

I sorted an exhaust banging noise, which was simply the flange connector for the downpipe, knocking on the floor (simply twisted it about 45deg), job done.

But, other than that. I love it. Great car to drive and surprises a few more modern cars. I had an M240i toying with me today, obviously, I was never going to embarrass him, I think he was just showing some respect and having a bit of fun. I know I was...:laughing:

14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Im sure you will get nods of recognition all over the place with that beauty!

"may the little things that creep up on your ride be sorted with pleasant demeanor and ease of solution".
    -JP

JP

15. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Ok guys. It's been a couple of weeks now and luckily, we've had a bit of sunshine. Still got a few little bugs. The fuel tank has a leak, through one of the seams (annoying, since I went to great lengths to avoid that !) and now, the paint job, is really starting to bug me. The fact that I let those clowns get away with leaving the engine bay in a different shade is really starting to annoy me. So, I think it's going to be, engine back out and spray the engine bay. I have shown the car to a few people now and it's always an embarrassing topic of conversation !! :mad:. On a lighter note. Here is the car, out in the sunshine !! :laughing:

Out&about.jpg

Burdekin, maxiboy, W.olly and 4 others like this.
  16. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Antipodean Tinkerer

If I owned that car and those were the only problems, I would consider myself a lucky man. Still, if you want to go the extra mile, don’t let us hold you back!

B1N9S likes this.
  17. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Removed the tank and tested for leaks....NONE !! So, I can only assume its the seals on the suction device and the sender. So, I have sealed them up, with fuel resistant sealant.

slim_boy_fat and Exuptoy like this.
  18. slim_boy_fat

@B1N9S As a matter of interest, what plugs does she take? I came across a full, new, unused set in the shed I bought for my e34 525iSE some years ago - sold her before I got round to doing the service. :ashamed:

You're welcome to them if they'd be of any use.

Keep up the pics/reports, please.

19. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers Slim. It's Wayne, by the way...apologies. I should have introduced myself properly a lot earlier in this thread !!!

The plugs fitted are NGK BP6ES.

20. slim_boy_fat

Cheers Wayne, I'll check part numbers later, just settling down to watch F1 qualifying live....

Advertisements