(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

piston broke ,typical old car enthusiast

i too had a golf yellow 2002tii lux great car but mrs zep parked it on top of a large rock they only one around ,after losing it on the first frosty night of winter many years ago , i re shelled it using a rare twin headlamp ,round tail light
    body which i welded up all the bad bits , i swapped all the tii stuff on it and sprayed it polaris silver it had a black viynl roof
    great cars but easy to lose the back end

its worth tacking a few bits of tube or box across door posts and width wise when doing big body surgery it holds the dimensions ive seen lots of guys doing cars up then finding doors are binding on panels or something
    looks like you have cracked it though
    have to build a 2002 turbo replica next ?

2. minimutly Member

Melting a mahle piston takes some doing. Assuming the fuelling's right I would say you had too much ignition timing (the earlier hg failure points to this too)
    Maybe, just maybe, if you had the valves and seats redone you have a difference in ccs in one of the chambers in the head? I'd hazard a guess it was no 2 or 3 that melted/cracked?

3. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

more like hydlaulic damage with coolant. limping it home before you replaced the head gasket
    chamber ccs not that critical
    worth checking conrods for straightness and twist now
    cant be advanced timing on one cylinder
    either even if it was a points system the cam would have to grow a lump on that lobe to advance it

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Hi! :waving: Thanks for updating this, much appreciated. :thumbup:

This car is clearly not destined to be in your possession, let me know when I can collect her :D

5. minimutly Member

Disagree. If cr and or timing is close to critical it only takes a raised valve to push one cylinder into detonation. The piston will tell the tale. So without seeing the piston impossible to say.
    And I'm not quoting nonsense hear, I've seen it.

6. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

a raised valve you mean a tight tappet ?
    ok a turbo engine running high bòost and too much advance will detonate and wreck pistons on a whim , but the tii cr isnt radical
    maybe 9-1 more like damaged ring lands
    letting go
    if you read the original post the engine stop had not been fitted and this let the egine move forward on braking and destroyed the radiator , nothing to do with timing

7. slim_boy_fat

@B1N9S Any more chapters in the story? I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms here....:D

B1N9S likes this.
  8. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

Sorry for the hijack but.... I know we cannot offer cars for sale on this forum, so this is just some news about my long term owned BMW 2002 touring, I have more or less decided that due to having too many projects and ultimately no need for more than three or four restored classics to part with my ex daily driver 1972 2002 touring, hatchback, it is Verona red, very similar to the car in the thread, When I used it as my daily driver I converted it to four speed 4hp22 auto. After I retired the engine got a bit rattly from the big ends so I parked it in the shed, my long term plan was a mild restoration, five speed manual, Tii engine, banded steels, recaros. Tii struts and larger brakes etc. I am selling the car together with a few spares like a much better tailgate and some mouldings and the original four speed manual box if required, then the Tii upgrade package as a separate lot, I even have a Tii Touring NOS petrol tank. The wabesto was fitted from new, I love the car but with a Mk2 Jag and my MGA wanting restoration I have too many projects. edit, the gearbox pictured is not the one with the Tii package, wrong picture uploaded, similar but.....

20201024_112836.jpg 20201024_112944.jpg 20201024_112907.jpg 20201024_113017.jpg

• thumbnail 4.jpg
  9. minimutly Member

Nice project, but the airbag's gone off!

8ob, Matchless and Exuptoy like this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

:clapping::clapping:

11. slim_boy_fat

@Matchless I've always had a soft spot for the 2002 model(s) :thumbup: - good luck with it, whatever you decide.

8ob likes this.
  12. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Member

That’ll fly. When was the last time you saw one!

13. a111r Member

I think that needs to stay in N. E. London. I could help you out there..:D

Seadog likes this.
  14. Matchless

you know what to do then!

15. a111r Member

Tempt you with my collection of vintage C-Scopes?:laughing:

16. Matchless

do you detect? I have a Fisher F5, very hard to find out if it is a good older machine or rubbish, all the reviews for almost any detector are full of praise, probably due to the way the system works, free machine if you give it a youtube review! I also have a more basic machine I have lent to nickk for his wife to have a go, I need to try to get permission somewhere around here, the only place I have is a farm in Chigwell that has been done to death for the last 30 years by all and sundry! looking for someone to help me get started properly, the clay soil around here is also such hard work!
    As for a swop, sorry but I have enough old stuff to run my own auction, wife has Bonhams on speed dial!

8ob likes this.
  17. a111r Member

I'll PM you, to save derailing the thread...:D

18. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Quick update. Apologies, but I have been busy, busy, busy !!! Building another car.

I finally rebuilt the engine on this and have it back in the car. Needs some final tuning and a couple of teething issues, I think I am going to get that done by an expert. But, it is back in one piece.

20190917_193541.jpg

• 20190917_181043.jpg
  19. p0689109 Member

I am glad you are back with us. Rereading the thread I was amazed how you managed to copy the engine bulkhead especially the holes and the rounded channels bits. Really, how did you do it? They looked like the original pressed panel!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Beautiful motor. My old boss had a 3.0 CSL, similar era. He had it nicked when he parked it to go to the cinema, not long after somebody knocked at the door and wanted to buy it...... He probably still has a spare engine for it in his workshop :) Blindingly fast, he rebuilt it from a damaged repairable.

B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements