(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Well....The Tii is still at the bodyshop, so I decided to tackle the rear arches on the silver car. Looks a simple job, to just bolt on the turbo arches over the top, but OH no !!!! That would be way too easy !!!! You need to cutout the old panel and weld the inner arch to the outer. Took a day to do both and still needs to be finished off and rust proofed, but big job out of the way.

20170528_112100.jpg

20170528_114254.jpg

20170528_120235.jpg

20170528_124106.jpg

slim_boy_fat and DavidS16 like this.
  2. DavidS16 Member

Yep, that job wouldve given me the fear so much that my bum wouldve turned my poop into diamonds.

B1N9S and Mark E like this.
  3. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Still waiting for the Tii to come back. So a bit more to do on the other one, to get it solid. So.......I dug out the rotisserie to get it done.

GEDC1930.JPG

galooph and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Got the Tii back. The paintwork is an absolute joke. It needs a complete respray I think. But that's another story. Anyway, about the only area that won't be resprayed is the engine bay. So I decided to drop the engine back in.

20170603_112816.jpg 20170603_154422.jpg

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Sorry to read this, so disappointing after all your good work.

6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Not good news about the paint. :(

7. DavidS16 Member

Thats not so good at all :( whats so bad about it?

8. samh Member

what the hell happened to it.i thought it looked lovely from the pics taken in the booth

9. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Thanks guys. Well.......A bit of a long story.

When I first got the car back, I never got a chance to inspect it at the shop, it was brought to me on a low loader. Neither did I get the panels back at that time. I only had pictures from the booth and let's be honest, they always look good in the booth.

So...I get the car (shell) back and inspected it and found it wasn't polished very well, at all in places and there were a couple of minor issues with some contamination in the paint. So, I spoke to the shop that same day and they said it's fine, bring it back and they'll sort it. At this time, I didn't want to bad mouth their job as they promised to rectify it (even thought it cost ME £100 on a low loader there and back). They also said, they would want it back after I had it reassembled to polish it and wax it ?? Which I thought would have been better done at the shop when it was a 'glass out' shell ? So, that seemed a bit odd, but I've never had a shell sprayed before ?

Anyway. It went back as you know. I arranged to collect it on Friday at 9.30am. So, I turned up and it wasn't ready. There was a lot of activity around the car in their workshop, but the boss said to return at 1pm after it had gone in the oven. So, I turn up at 12.45 and it's already on the low loader. So, back at my place, I get a chance to inspect the work and it's a joke. I have also had a first look at the panels, doors are OK, but the bonnet isn't polished properly and there is dirt contamination in both boot and bonnet panels.

They have had to respray the rear of the car, it looks like it was sprayed with an aerosol, it's THAT BAD. Above the LH rear arch, it literally feels like sandpaper, there is so much crap in the paint.

They also had to touch up the front A frame, which looks reasonable, but the colour match is awful. As is the rear end. it's PINK FFS.

So, I guess, the sensible thing to do, is to get a 'decent' bodyshop to blow over the whole thing properly. I am so annoyed at the original place.

Do you think I should get my money back from them ? I paid them a flat £1k to spray the car. Bearing in mind, I did the prep work myself.

Annoyingly - (another long story) - It was only meant to be £800. But I paid them £1k, since They had to buy the paint, etc. He only asked for 800, but I insisted, because I'm a fair guy and I though 800 was a bit low and to be fair it was a deal with a previous guy who had left !!!

10. DavidS16 Member

Id definitely pursue getting it fixed or refunded, Id never accept genuinely poor quality paint like that. It would be different if it was a small cost service, but 1k isnt to be sniffed at.

11. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Yes. To be fair. If it was someone operating out of a shed I'd be inclined to accept it and put it down to experience. But this is a proper bodyshop with all the facilities !!! It's pretty **** poor.

12. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i would go back say you think the car spray is i little on the poor side and ask the bloke to have a good look in the day time and ask his opion on it and say if you had your car sprayed would you expect it to be in this condition id if the responce was not in your faver say its a show car you will be doing a lot of car shows and cant put up with it in the condition its in and if not sorted to a high standard you will show it as much as you can despaying there name all over when showing it to decredit there name

then after a few months get it blown over

the hard bit here is that you done the prep work and they will only blame it on that (even if that is is not the problem)

13. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I know what you're saying mate. I agree in trying to get him to come to my place to look at it. I tried to get him up here on Friday, but he wasn't available !! But in todays world of 'Social Media', I don't need to go to such extremes and show it off. To be honest, nobody outside a 10mile radius will have heard of them anyway. As for them sorting it to a high standard.....They obviously have different standards to mine and I wouldn't trust them to paint a push bike any more, so they are definitely not touching it again.

14. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I don't know if you can see the finish in the picture. That's a 'good' area. Apart from it being the wrong colour, the finish is awful.

GEDC1935.JPG

15. DavidS16 Member

Thats pretty dreadful :(

BarrieJ likes this.
  16. Wallace

Wallace Member

I very much agree, I can do better with a £15 touch up gun and epoxy mastic 121.

B1N9S likes this.
  17. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i can say i dont know what i am doing with paint spraying but did a better job on a motor bike 10years ago with no knowhow(bought a compresser still go the same one now come with a paint gun looked on line the mixes and sprayed ) looking at the pic orange peal is what it looks like

18. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Thanks. I can spray...I prepped the car. But I don't have the right environment or equipment to do a decent top coat. It's more than orange peel. Theres dirt, there are marks where the trim was removed, generally a crap job.

19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    what a shame....at least you know the work underneath is solid....can you imagine if you had hired them to do any bodywork???

1,000.00 over hear gets you a basic paint job...plus paint and materials. its the starting point. but I would have expected a decent job with good polish and smooth surface.....

best of luck with it.....if you dont want them to touch it again...perhaps suggest a partial refund.

JP

B1N9S likes this.
  20. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

please dont take my comment as any attack on you it was just a post to say how bad a suposed pro can turn out that and that is a real shame as the work put in to that was massive and good on you to take it on but as you said you could have it blown over the main bits are done :thumbup:

B1N9S likes this.
Advertisements