(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. Add

Add Member

Amazing!! :cool:

There are "professionals" out there who would charge the earth and wouldn't do a job even a quarter this good.

It's given me some motivation to attack my collection of long over dude projects :welder:

B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
  2. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers Add. That's high praise. To be honest, I just tackle it one job at a time, with a bit of thought and practice, I get there eventually !!!! I am an engineer by profession, so I do enjoy rebuilding/repairing things.

I now have the car on it's rotisserie and have made a start on the underbody. Removed the old underseal and muck/oil (nice job) and welded the D/S rear floor pan, with a donor section and just tidied up a few other areas. I have some Epoxy mastic on order to go over vulnerable sections, before prepping for some Lechlars Epoxy primer.

I have also paint stripped the engine bay. Still needs a bit more work there though.

Then I am at a quandary. I am unsure what to use for the underseal. I have bought some Dinitrol 4291, but I really want a very textured finish, does anyone know if this product will do that ? If not recommendations ? UPOL Raptor perhaps ?

GEDC1500.JPG GEDC1501.JPG GEDC1502.JPG GEDC1540.JPG GEDC1541.JPG GEDC1542.JPG

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Been a while since I updated this.

Underside got treated with epoxy mastic 121 on ALL seams and welds, 2 coats of Lechlars Epoxy primer, seam sealed and then I decided to go with UPOL Raptor in the end for the underside. Great stuff. Bit pricey, but worth it I hope.

GEDC1553.JPG GEDC1554.JPG GEDC1555.JPG GEDC1584.JPG GEDC1585.JPG GEDC1628.JPG GEDC1629.JPG GEDC1631.JPG

Parm, marlinspike, Add and 10 others like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Love seeing this being brought back to life! :clapping: Keep the updates coming. :thumbup:

archie2000, B1N9S and Burdekin like this.
  5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Me too.

2002s are such cool cars. One of my favourite cars that's for sure.

B1N9S and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Mark E Making it harder than it needs to be.

As an aside, how would one go about acquiring a workspace like that? Looks perfect!
    Great work on the car as well!

Cheers!

7. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Thanks guys. I have to take some more pics. The front panel is now on and I am about to prep for paint. Ya hoo !!

Mark. I moved to this place 2 yrs ago, basically because of this space. I just got very lucky I guess. It's a double garage with a pit and a double apron outside all privately contained. I also built a single garage size workshop at the rear and knocked through. I absolutely love it.

Cheers.

Parm likes this.
  8. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

So, I got this dismounted from the Jig and back on the level. The Jig is For Sale, if anyone is interested. I don't need it any longer.

Coated the boot area with 'Raptor', seam sealed and just one coat of Epoxy, so far.

Fitted the front panel, which was a 2nd hand one, but was a newly fitted one (New 'old' style ones are unobtainium now and the newer style ones are over £1k and you then have to modify the centre nostrils to make it look like the older one !!), if that makes sense. Same for the passenger door, it is almost brand new, real bargain !!

Still a lot to do on the front panel though, especially where it meets the wings at the top. This was originally brass brazed and leaded. I mig welded mine and leaded, followed by alu filler.

I have now finished welding (I think !) and am moving onto the body/paint prep stage. Really nice feeling after nearly two years of ripping the car apart.

I have decided it will be going back to it's original Granada Red.

And a quick pic of project #2. Finally able to move it back inside, before it rots away like this one !!!

GEDC1689.JPG GEDC1691.JPG GEDC1692.JPG GEDC1690.JPG

DavidS16, Add, galooph and 2 others like this.
  9. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Done a bit more this weekend. Coated the internal floors with UPOL Raptor and paint stripped a few outer panels today, with a bit of help.

• GEDC1721.JPG
    • GEDC1723.JPG
    • GEDC1724.JPG
    • GEDC1725.JPG
    Bsmith, slim_boy_fat, galooph and 2 others like this.
  10. Bsmith Member

Most interesting project, and superb repairs. Great work.
    I had 2 of them back in the 1970's the were both L reg (1973s). The first one, for some reason, with me in it went completely upside down on the road, won't go into that as I escaped the law. 3 of us got it in a garage and jacked the roof back up, all 4 posts were bent. After a lot of pannel beating by a pro and new front and rear screen, the left dents in the roof were filled and a black vinyl cover put on. Complete respray, (Verona red) If I can find a photo of the finished job I will post it.

B1N9S likes this.
  11. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Is the Raptor a textured finish? It looks textured on the jig pics. I thought it was a smooth finish product developed for truck beds. Looks great though.

12. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I have used it without any thinners so it is very textured. But you can thin it and even spray it, using a conventional gun for a smooth finish.

13. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I have decided to declutter the main garage and give it a deep clean and minor conversion to a temp booth, prior to doing any more paint prep in there, so in the meantime. I decided to crack on with another job that's been lying on the bench staring at me.

The brake calipers, worked fine, but just weren't shiny enough. So, I decided to rebuild them, totally. New seals, new pistons, new hydraulics and zinc plated in BZP. Finally got them reconstructed last night.

GEDC1353.JPG GEDC1354.JPG GEDC1759.JPG GEDC1760.JPG GEDC1761.JPG GEDC1764.JPG GEDC1765.JPG GEDC1766.JPG GEDC1767.JPG

Parm, Bsmith and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Quick update. Busy, busy, busy !!!!

This project has now taken over my whole life !! Hahaha. It seems to be all I do at the moment, there is SO much to do. I want it in paint by Xmas, then maybe a short break from it. I have found a local bodyshop prepared to do the topcoat if I do all the primer coats and blocking.

I decided the workshop needed a deep clean and paint before doing any more paint prep though. I also insulated and dry lined it and added an extraction fan and ducting. MUCH better.

Any suggestions for a heater ? I was thinking of getting a small Propane space heater, but am open to a better suggestion. I'm not thinking for the paint, more for the future, working in there and storing a couple of old cars !!!

GEDC1768.JPG GEDC1769.JPG GEDC1777.JPG

Burdekin, Screwdriver and Parm like this.
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Awesome thread.

Keep it coming!

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

As long as you're prepared to accept that propane will introduce moisture to the air.

17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

18. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Yeh, I wasn't too sure, but you've confirmed what I wasn't sure about !!! ;-)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Burdekin likes this.
  20. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Make sure your local authority will allow it...

Advertisements