(1972) BMW 2002 Tii

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

OK, cheers Chris. I'll give it a go I think.

2. There is no secret to leading at all, its really very easy. Get the surface you want to lead as clean as you possibly can apply solder paste, gently heat with a propane torch of some sort, and in a while the paste will tin the surface. As long as any gaps are filled, thats pretty much it unless you want to put on more lead to actually provide the finished surface. Thats a bit more tricky, but really no need as a tinned surface will prevent any sort of corrosion breaking through.

3. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Chris. Would you mind pointing me towards the correct flux, I always get confused about that stuff ? Could you get me a link. I do have a torch, so I don't mind giving it a go and I have another old shell to practice on.

4. Solder paste has flux in it. Just paint it on the joint and gently heat.

5. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

I had a brainwave tonight and got the knotted wheel on and whisked away the old lead to expose the steel beneath, then welded up the joints.

I will now lead back over the area. I think it might be a bit tricky as the old lead will also melt and start to run around, so it will be fun and games !!! But in the grand scheme of things.....a minor job !! Haha.

GEDC1397.JPG GEDC1398.JPG

Springerdinger likes this.
  6. Springerdinger

Springerdinger memoirs of the mediocre diy mechanic

I have a lead loading kit on order at the moment with two paddles faux paste etc. It Is on back order for a couple of weeks but no rush for me. Looking forward to having a go and learning something new

7. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

On order from where mate ? I have seen a kit on 'Frost.co.uk'.

I was hoping that leading was going to be quite cheap, but, it's not !!! I'll need paddles and a file, etc, so it's going to be quite expensive. But I have other areas to do, so, hey ho, I guess. Shake off the moths and get spending !

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Ok Chris. Today, I attended the NEC restoration show and bought myself a lead loading kit. So full of enthusiasm on my return, I went at it AND, I am pretty chuffed with it !!!

Like you said mate, NOT as difficult as some make out and one of those jobs, that gives you a big grin when you get a good result. Cheers mate. I'll be leading everything now ;-)

Please ignore the bit of seam that for some reason I missed with the welder !!! The lead'll get it anyway !

GEDC1428.JPG

Fluxed.

GEDC1430.JPG

Added some lead.

GEDC1431.JPG

Body filed and hand sanded using 40grit and 80grit

GEDC1437.JPG

Not perfect YET. But it is getting there and this is my very first attempt, so I am well chuffed. It will need a light skim of filler, but that's fine.

9. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Hi Parm, sorry mate. I didn't see this. Yeh, I can share no problem. No fancy tools, just common or garden workshop stuff mate. Obviously, you need to get creative with some things ;-) PM me if you need more detailed info.

Parm likes this.
  10. Springerdinger

Springerdinger memoirs of the mediocre diy mechanic

Sorry I never saw your post
    My kit is on order with Frost.
    Not got it yet but hopefully it will be back in Stock soon.

Liked your pictures very interesting and looks good.

Cheers
    Chris

11. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Had a week off and the house to myself so....

Managed to fit the whole new rear end to the '02. New boot floor, rear quarters, rear panel and a donor parcel shelf. Sorted. Starting to look like a proper car again.

GEDC1479.JPG GEDC1480.JPG GEDC1481.JPG GEDC1484.JPG GEDC1483.JPG

12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    big step forward!...looks great.

JP

13. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Oh yeh mate. Massive. So chuffed I got to this stage. Now I need to get it onto the spit and get cracking with the underside.

14. chris y Member

Durham England
    This is a very impressive project, it must make a big difference being able to get panels but its still extremely ambitious for a beginner and your panel making skills are great.

15. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Cheers Chris. I never intended on it being such a big project, but it just grew it's own legs and I guess you just gotta keep going. Almost there now with the welding. Then onto the primer & paint phase.

I have been rebuilding the chassis slowly as I got bored with the bodywork and I have also restored a cool retro roof rack to go with it. I need to order the parts now for the front subframe which is going to cost a fair bit.

There's also the LSD, 5 speed conversion and Recaro interior to do yet too !!!

GEDC1113.JPG GEDC1301.JPG

And yes, that IS another project under the cover !!!!!

GEDC1475.JPG

Parm, Burdekin and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    looks like that suspension is ready to go back in....such nice shiny parts!...and what a cool roof rack...what wood did you use...it looks like a redwood?

very cool!

Jp

Ray-S likes this.
  17. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

It's some sort of hardwood from the local builders yard mate. All I know is it was freaking expensive !!! That little lot cost me £75. I will be rubbing in some Danish Oil to finish it. I just got over excited and started building it, I should have oiled them first I guess !!!

18. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Take them all off and start again......:D

19. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

GRRRR !!!!!!!!!! OK.

20. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    ha, ha, ha.....

wow!. pricey...but what a nice result!

JP