What should I pay for a mill?

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Sounds like a steal if it's a runner even if you need to replace the odd motor to get it moving. I think the recent collapse in scrap value means a fair few machines have actually been saved from the bin. Rigidity is everything really and it's by no means a small mill! So you should see the benefit in that immense rigidity once you've taken the hit in getting the thing shifted and finding a floor strong enough to take it.

As an aside, with a mass that large and that compact, you could easily build a simple device for measuring just how much it distorts spacetime around it! Seriously. Just a Cavendish torsion bar experiment would do it...

2. Bill Edwards Member

It's said to be in very good working order, and I'm told it has a good look to it of a decent machine.
    It'll cost around a hundred to get it moved, and I could end up buying an expensive inverter to run it, but that's the case with almost any machine of this size as. they're almost all three phase and all heavy.

I'm actually waiting on a builder to quote for 6" of reinforced concrete as I need to site the two Harrison lathes, I think I should have a word with him as it may need to be a little thicker where this machine will sit!

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well, if you need a ton of rebar....

Let me know!

This is a tiny fraction of my recent haul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm running out of hiding places for it...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Bill Edwards Member

Handy...

Can I suggest that you move up north - North Yorkshire being perfect - as I think it is a great place, you probably have no idea just how much you’re missing being stuck in London :D

In all seriousness though, I think that I will need it in a mesh, but then I know almost nothing about building work.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I'm looking forward to the posts in the "Today I made" thread. :D

Screwdriver likes this.
  6. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Late to the party - but that looks like a nice mill there Bill, good work...

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I know London gets a bad press but I like it. The trick is to get here twenty years ago.

I don't think rebar has enough value in it to justify the cost of shipping. Had you been next door, you could have helped yourself to as much as you needed. You will need it in your slab though, depending on your sub base. I thought Yorkshire was made of granite anyway?

Yeah. me too :cool: Seriously though, some rebar tongs are high up the list...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Bill Edwards Member

Thanks.
    And you're welcome to the party at any time :)

Thanks. I will certainly be using rebar, I'm a bit unsure what the base will be yet, it's currently quite a lot of stone with a little soil but it's covered by junk so hard to judge whether it'll need digging out and redoing. I was not planning to cut corners, but this new beast will probably require a little extra again as it's such a vast weight on a pretty small footprint.
    I thought the big Harrison was big, but this isn't far off double the weight over perhaps half the footprint.

No granite round these parts at all, largely sandstone.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Bill Edwards Member

Well, it took longer to arrange than expected (wonderful snow) but the beast is finally home. And what a beast!
    It really is big.

I haven't been able to have a close inspection of it but there doesn't look to be any big idiot marks on the table, the whole thing has a healthy covering of oil and grime - not a spot of rust on the table and I highly doubt it'll have significant wear, if any. It's looking good :)

eLuSiVeMiTe, Hood and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i want pics of this now waited long enough to see it home

and yes i can store for you down here not a problem if austin is needing the space freeing up

will do anyone a favour

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Bill Edwards Member

Will try to get some at the weekend, so long as the weather is fair - it’s currently sat outside on a trailer sheeted up.

12. Bill Edwards Member

7B499DCF-B75F-46B3-8561-E899CA76F24A.jpeg 4AEF937E-AEC7-4C74-B020-3A56450E0241.jpeg 3B7FE921-B357-4A0E-914C-811F93A29F4E.jpeg

MattF, Seadog, dazza and 2 others like this.
  13. Bill Edwards Member

This is what I call a quill - and the hand ain’t a small one either.
    37B04FA8-C1F6-47FC-B800-8C4C933E3BE6.jpeg

The table is beautiful, none of the usual idiot marks which I’m really, really pleased with.
    2E469A53-0731-4038-A914-3D52B98A7C57.jpeg

Only thing is some clot broke one of the wheels for moving the table sometime between buying it and getting it moved, I don’t know how on earth they’ve managed it.
    Thankfully it’s not done any further damage and should weld up, it’s just a bit annoying.

Austin, Woody.v8, Hood and 5 others like this.
  14. brightspark

brightspark Member

its a beast what are u using it for :laughing:

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Impressing people....:laughing:

Hopefuldave, MattF and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  16. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Paperweight.

17. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

It may well need extra reinforcing on the ground - I was at a sheetmetal workers the other week and got chatting to one of the welders who used to work at a blacksmiths where they had a Massey power hammer, apparently the foundations were something around 6ft deep due to the sheer size and power of the machine. Sounded great tbh, no drilling facilities, they would heat the metal and punch the holes out - making D shackles for marine buoys and offshore installations. Sadly closed down just the other month so now the guy is tig welding for a living

18. decca

decca Forum Supporter

That's one big mill Bill.

19. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Sturdy lump indeed, kind of reminds me of Eastern Block machinery.

brightspark likes this.
  20. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Skoda - manufacturers of (formerly before the VW buyout) crap cars, massive lathes and T55 tanks!

If it is Indian it's likely they stole the pattern from another established machine. Linking back to my previous comment, Angyang are making power hammers which look identical to Masseys. The old Record vice clones appear sometimes over here, too.

Advertisements