What should I pay for a mill?

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Not really sure why you mention Skoda, do you think it is a copy?

2. Bill Edwards Member

I'll be using it for little jobs that turn up, as you do.
    A little Bridgeport would probably do me fine, but it's not possible to turn down a proper sized machine when one comes up. Always better to go too big than too small.

I can't see me having any rigidity issues on this beast!
    I like my machines to be built extra solid, should be capable of handling anything I want to throw at them.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Hood

Bill, did you find out whether it is a 50 taper or not? If it is and you want that Dedlock cutter give me a PM.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

5. Bill Edwards Member

gaz1 likes this.
  6. ndg Member

It's a Victoria V2, not as chunky as yours though!

gaz1 likes this.
  7. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I went to see a free Victoria vertical mill. It was a big boy and didn't have the swiveling head like a V2. It was in a workshop
    under a cinema that was being demolished. The head was up in a hole in the ceiling;-) I asked about moving it as it looked very
    difficult to get out, they said no problem give them notice and they would remove the floor n ceiling so it could just be dragged out.

My mill weighs 3.8 tons. It did seem heavy when I had to move it across a rough drive and around in my garage. 3.8 tons dropping off a pry bar
    on concrete makes a different sound to a little 1ton mill.

MattH and Hopefuldave like this.
  8. Bill Edwards Member

Bet that was fun...

9. ndg Member

3.8tons :o

10. Bill Edwards Member

@Hood

The milling cutter arrived safely, thanks.
    I knew it was big and heavy, but until I actually got the thing in my hands I didn't realise it was that big!
    It'll get some use, it looks like I may have to get the machine running sooner than planned for a head skim that's needed, which this cutter should manage nicely.

Hood likes this.
  11. Hood

The guy I bought it off reckoned it was was either a 30 or 40 taper so I took a risk as it was dirt cheap. When it arrived I knew it was neither :D

12. Hood

BTW not sure if you have the instructions on how to remove the cutter, if needed, so here they are.

ScreenHunter_1053 Oct. 07 20.25.jpg

13. Bill Edwards Member

I knew my mill was a beast and could see the size of the tooling, but it's put into correct proportion by opening the parcel in the living room. I've seen 40 cnc stuff lined up at an engineers run by a mate and thought nothing much of it, but this is different.

Instructions are now saved to my phone, though I doubt I'll want or need to remove this cutter.

Hood likes this.
  14. Bill Edwards Member

Well thanks to Austin (smashing bloke, thanks again) and Hood I now have some cutters, plus I've bought a collet chuck so I'm getting set on the basic tooling (still plenty more to get mind, machine tools are an expensive addiction). Depending on the weather and not having too many other things I'm hoping to get it wired up to an inverter this weekend and hopefully have it running.

First job is a head I need to get skimmed!

Austin, gaz1, Hood and 2 others like this.
  15. Hood

That DedLock should be perfect for skimming a head :)

16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

yeah austins a great bloke on the forums

will hold onto stuff for a member if you ask him and pay for it or by an arrangement

until you can get there to collect item

17. Bill Edwards Member

I think fly cutters are the normal choice but this’ll certainly do it. Might need two runs as I think the head is wider than the Dedlock but it’ll hopefully be fine.

Hood likes this.
  18. Bill Edwards Member

Well a little update to this...

I've had the machine running, both the spindle and power feed run perfectly off inverters. There's plenty of wiring needed as there are limit and direction changing switches for the power feeds to stop anything getting damaged if you aren't paying attention/go off to the loo but that's not complicated.

It's a decent machine that should last, pressure lubrication systems for both the spindle and power feed side of things and a one shot system for most other bits, with only a couple of nipples requiring any real effort from the operator.

Unfortunately due to workshop space issues it's still sat outside on a trailer which makes it damn awkward to use, and it has to be kept under a sheet for obvious reasons which is a pain. But one day it'll be installed properly...

Right now I'm struggling to get the head trammed in correctly, it's such a massive thing to adjust.

Oh, and I've bought another mill a few weeks ago which came up. A baby one, Elliot, which I thought would be handy for small jobs, it has a 3600rpm spindle which would be better for small cutters and you can't have too many machines can you...
    It's got some nasty idiot marks on the table which is a shame and has a horizontal spindle which I think could be useful. Not for use as a horizontal machine (missing the bits to do this) but for work pieces that want drilling/boring and won't easily mount where a vertical cutter can reach them.
    It'll make a nice second machine I think.

Elliot.JPG

HughF, Dieselkid 63, Austin and 7 others like this.
  19. RichardM Member

Look up Skoda's history - you may be surprised

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  20. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

I wasn’t actually inferring that their other products were shonky, only their motors... but I can see how it could have been misconstrued

Advertisements