Uhhh Ohhh...2000 Dodge Dakota Sill rebuild

1. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I am happy to report that the truck made it 6 hours up and 6 hours back from a trip to New Hampshire this past weekend. I got a digital voltage monitor for the accessory port that showed me how the truck was charging and after the relay I put in, it was 14.2-14.4 with no fluctuations, just steady voltage readings.....

This solved several issues from rough idle to fuel economy...I put in 2 bottles of injector cleaner and ran it on high test for a couple of tank fulls, I am very happy with the results.

It even pulled a utility trailer the whole way and brought back my grandfathers antique Grandfather Clock.....

I was also able to help set up a charity event that we are going back up to NH for in 8 days.....

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Ive been working at getting better with the shrinker/stretcher in prep for shaping these inner fender lip pieces.

I found that I could stretch the lip and flange, but not in one piece. perhaps with a deep reach stretcher or bead roller or more experience, or confidence it can be done...but for now, Ill keep experimenting. I have both this inner lip and the other side yet to do...(I cannot find inner fender patch panels...except from Dodge and they are ridiculously expensive)

here is a small patch I added to the inner lip as a warm up for bigger pieces yet to come:

[​IMG]

here it is from the "top" along with cleaning up prior welds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a bigger piece added to the lower patch section

[​IMG]

The flux core welds clean up nicely....though they look a bit scabby here, penetration was good through the other side. its nice working with clean newish metal!

It all goes here. Ive got to put the outer patch panel in place to locate this lower patch, and everything has to line up.....

[​IMG]

wish me luck!

JP

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    dazza and Rig Pig like this.
  3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Looking good JP...as you know I'm pretty much working on something similar. Doing the same experimentation with the shrinker/stretcher too...I'm finding it easier to plan ahead and to try to make the most difficult bit with the stretcher/shrinker and then to do other bits by hand. It is a really great too for tweaking a lip to get a very nice curve. I also struggled a bit with that arch and flange....I think what I did was make the main panel curve using the shrinker after bending a 90 degree flange in a flat piece of steel...and then I had a shaped block of wood to make the arch flange over fold. Bit tricky still but I got something workable out of it....once I had the over fold it did want to straighten itself out....but I was just able to nip the edge of the inner flange with the shrinker to pull it back into a curve.

4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Hey, PD2...yeah, I am finding the same thing with how the metal behaves. I was a bit ambitious with this last piece..just too many curves and arches, and flanges to have it work out in one piece...but at least Im giving it a go with a goal in mind....(forming more complex shapes)

thanks for the thoughts.

Here are the latest pics of the past few evenings...

inner fender/floor patch

[​IMG]

inner fender patch piece in that spot

[​IMG]

lower inner fender with flange. I almost thought I was going to have to add to the piece, but was able to massage the pieces to fit.....(though I made need the old copper sheet in a few spots!)

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin

JP

5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Very nice...yea it's all about learning and trying I think. Is that a piece of rail track I see in one of your pics?

6. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I think it must be....got it from my dad who got it from who knows where...but it makes a great dolly!

JP

7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I've been trying t get myself a bit of rail track for years but here in the UK they are quite difficult to come by. You'd think by now someone would have filled the demand as I'm sure plenty of others out there are in the same boat. I have a panel set....but it seems to be missing a nice flat dolly for some reason!

8. mechman Member

Mr Migwire had a few don't know if he has any left.

9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    tropical storm is really getting in the way of progress this weekend....no updates possible!....argghhhh....

jP

10. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Finally got some time to weld in that lower front inner fender piece...was putting the finishing touches on it just as it was getting dark and the wife got home from the gym.....so no pics yet...but it measures out, lines up and is very strong again, so all I have left on that side is the inner fender lip and I can get started on the other side which is much less rotted.....

pics tomorrow, but its a big step forward....

JP

slim_boy_fat and fixedfixer like this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

It's amazing how adding the lip seems to stiffen up the whole thing and make it a lot stronger....sounds like good progress :clapping:

jpmillermatic likes this.
  12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Here are some pics.....lower inner fender area welded in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

side view:

[​IMG]

The flattened copper pipe clamped under the gaps came to the rescue for sure!....one or two of those gaps were pretty big...but the pipe made it easy......

This is the area left to go....its a little big for one piece, but Im going to give it a try.....

[​IMG]

The lip formed fairly well and conforms to the replacement piece perfectly....now, If it all matches up when I go to weld it all in place, we should be good to go!

[​IMG]

You can see a gap in the piece to the left, I just didnt have a strip of metal wide enough, but Ill patch that in later.....

thanks for lookin

JP

mechman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Looking great JP....funny how we are both working on inner wheel arches (fenders) at the moment...those welds look nice and neat too...are you going to put any weld thru primer on before the outer panel goes over the top or rely on waxing the joint when it's all completed?

jpmillermatic likes this.
  14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY

Im going to go for both!....I can luckily get in there with a wand attached to a can of whatever I choose to use....the waxy stuff or any rust proofing that "flows" was my thoughts....

the outer skin, though welded along the lower lip of the inner fender does have space between it and the inner fender face all the way around.....I see Dodge saw the issues coming, but just didnt rust proof in that area...It seems they just relied on primer and tougher paint to deal with the eventual rust issues.....This system lasted just long enough to show signs of failure neatly after factory warrantees were over.

I have to think that they could have put their energies being clever here into simple rust proofing in that area and saved a ton of R&D time coming up with something that would fail just as the warrantee ran out!

thanks for lookin!

JP

15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I'm in agreement JP...it's both for me too. I was even thinking of warming up the wax and possibly the panel before I put it in there. I really want to squirt it in the back and see it running through the seam on the outside just to be sure it's in there.

16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Im going to be putting the can in a pot of hot water inside the house...yeah, that stuff really needs to ooze out from everywhere!.....

JP

17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    taking a long weekend starting tomorrow and will get some more work done on the truck. I trimmed the fender lip piece to fit today and will get that welded in and patched solid.....Then Im thinking Ill do the same on the other side. My thinking is having a reward after the inner panels are done....welding in the patches on the outside will consist of mainly flat pieces....

Once that is done, I can get the outer skins in place, trimmed and welded in...

then, Ive decided to tackle the rear crossmember support that runs the width underneath and is the rearmost U-channel and the one with the most corrosion, in two parts. Im not going to take it out as I had originally thought...there are just too many spot welds, and it really ties the whole back end support together. Ill treat what I can reach from underneath, then flip it over and cut the floor out above it.....patching in new crossmember patches and new flooring from my old bed....

It should work okay....though perhaps there is a better way?????

anyhow...gotta button this thing up before winter takes hold.

Lately Ive been preparing for a big surprise: a car lift!....Ive been saving for a couple of years for this. Its a mid rise lift with moveable (bolt and unbolt) towers and a remote pump unit on wheels. its called a maxjax and is made by Danmar. That is coming next Friday...and Ive been getting the garage floor cleared, new shelving in place, ect ect....

JP

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Wow that lift sounds like a great early Christmas present.

I really wanted a mid rise scissor lift but my garage roof is too low. One day I'll have to knock it down and start again.

19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Its been a long time coming, PD2!....yes, great gift indeed....Getting a lot done in the garage today in preparation....

In some ways, I should have simply raised the ceiling in the old garage, or a section of it as it had no living space above. it would have been a lot of work, but far cheaper than what we came up with.....an addition on the house for SWMBO and a bigger garage for me....ideal, yeah...but too pricey!

the MaxJax will raise the car 52" with the extensions on the arms...48" normally....so getting under it on a stool is doable. I cannot wait for that.....
    We have 10'8" ceilings designed just for this purpose. though not a commercial height, its certainly maxed out the residential situation...we have to step up a bit for the room above.....

JP

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

That sounds great....I wanted one but here in the UK houses are tiny so there is no room for a new garage. I thought about buying the scissor lift and then using it to lift the roof but I think the alteration would require planning consent. Please post pics once you have it installed....maybe I need to sell up and move to the US!

I'm actually one of the lucky ones to have a garage....and a double at that. The average UK garage is probably 10feet wide by 15feet long....well in the old days cars were alot smaller I guess.

Advertisements