Uhhh Ohhh...2000 Dodge Dakota Sill rebuild

1. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So a bit more done on the inner fender lip. I learned a lot about what I can get away with reasonably with the shrinker/stretcher......

[​IMG]

I know I could do this a faster way, but really want to experience actually shaping metal as opposed to patchworking things together. I probably found a somewhat happy medium this time around....there will be small patches to fill in some gaps....

[​IMG]

Its coming together and fits nicely. I will have to do a little light tapping here and there once its welded in!

[​IMG]

I made a template from thin aluminum. (which you can see in the photos above) It is really hard to know where the outer fender will fit once this is all in place. measuring works okay, but I have to keep going back and forth a million times with the outer panel...it was getting tiring!....so I found that this template locates the flange along the inner profile...my repair piece fits (is shaped) inside the the outer patch panel, so I should be in good shape. (as long as my indexing marks dont disappear!)

2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Started the welding and things went pretty well. It seems like there is a slight learning curve every time I weld....as I don't do this on a regular basis.

This time I had ground back to better metal, cleaned both sides of the stuff I was welding, and took my time. I did have much better results.

[​IMG]

I got a little overconfident here and there, and immediately paid the price with one or two blow throughs, built up weld beads, ect. ( I tried to span a pretty big gap without backer just to see if I could do it. I will be paying the price for that in grinding time later, but I got it to work....)

[​IMG]

Adding a copper backer brought things back to normal!

I could get 3-4 tacks in one section, then move to another...seemed to work well.

thanks for looking

JP

3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Well done JP....that's a lovely repair panel you've made....excellent stuff. It's a nice feeling when you take your time and it turns out really well. Usually when things go badly for me I'm either rushing or too lazy to do the little extra and then pay a price like you say in additional time to put things right!

Sprocket Hole and jpmillermatic like this.
  4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Aint it the truth, PD2!

I did finish welding that section in, and had to deal with some weird angles, welding upside down, ect....copper pipe section really came in handy....

I would like to get the other repair section made up and buzzed in. I do have a few pinholes to fill in overall, then I can move on!

JP

5. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So I got that last fender lip piece made up after dinner tonight....and it came out pretty good....I started with more metal than I needed and trimmed quite a bit away. Curves have left me with big gaps in the past by the time Im finished shaping a repair piece and I didnt want to end up with a small patch piece anywhere.....

[​IMG]

I did end up peeling back a section (upper right of pic) and found more rotted metal, so glad I took the time....Ill see if I can get up early before work tomorrow to start buzzing it in place!

JP

6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Lovely work...I bet that was very satisfying too when you stood back and looked at how well it all fits.

jpmillermatic likes this.
  7. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Not long after installing my new to me (found on Craigslist) bumper, I numbly backed into a log and proceeded to bend the left side pretty badly...

Well, I took it off today, and wanted to see if the same ideas in forming thin metal worked on the thicker stuff...and it does!

I got it to go back to its original shape for the most part and am pretty happy with the results.

a few touch ups and it will be good to go!

[​IMG]

and its back on the truck...it was folded in on the left side, and pushed up too....

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin

JP

8. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    A leak in my rear axle housing due to rust-through caused me to start looking for a replacement. It took a while, but I finally found one about 45 minutes away.

So here is the new-used rear axle I found on Craigslist. ....It needs a little clean up, but looks to be in fairly good shape...Ill swap all the accessories over, the brakes, e-brake cables, lines......then do the swap....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the leaf springs and U bolt brackets with the axle. I will try to make the swap without having to mess with the leaf spring bushing bolts. The bushings through bolts are a bear to get out with the bed off, let alone with it in place.....If I cannot fit the axles through the springs, Ill have to take the bed off, heat and bash out the bushing bolts. They rust in place in most all cases!. Since Im taking the green bed off the truck, Ill finish my welding on the red bed, and put that one in place....

the fun never ends! wish me luck!

;)

JP

9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    after a few licks of galvanizing primer, paint and clear, the basic axle is ready to go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to get the old one out! Im going to try to get the nuts off the U bolts as opposed to dropping one side of the leaf springs...though that would be easier for removing and installing, I may not be able to reach the spring bolts with a hammer to get them out....hmmmm

so apart from new brake shoes, a brake kit with new springs, ect, diff oil, and brake lines...anything else to consider?

it should be aligned as the spring perches have a locating tab on each side. I cannot do anything about driveshaft balancing, but I dont think its an issue?

thanks for lookin

JP

10. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

is the axle ratio the same

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    yes, 3.55 from a 2wd model. 6 bolt wheels.

JP

octo0072000 likes this.
  12. Sprocket Hole Member

I cut a rear panel out from a ford Capri and the foam they injected into it acted like a sponge, plus ford used to seam seal before applying primer! No wonder the old fords used to rot!

marlinspike likes this.
  13. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    The foam they used in the dakota sills did not take on water like a sponge...but it was not a glue or sealant either...so around its edges and wherever it touched or got near the sill, it trapped water..like a plastic bag. Im sure it was for stiffness and sound deadening. I can see that stuff working well for taking the resonance out of the drum so to speak.....

JP

marlinspike and Sprocket Hole like this.
  14. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    Sound deadening would make sense actually.

15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Making good progress JP...haven't had a chance to work on the Figaro in quite some time....just been too hot a summer in the UK (we don't get to say that very often!!). Looks like the rain is back so I'm hoping I'll get some more progress made on the Figaro fingers crossed.

jpmillermatic likes this.
  16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I sure do know the feeling, PD2....Ive gotta get that axle in the truck, but life just keeps getting in the way!

JP

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    You know, its funny how life never ceases to teach those lessons you thought you already knew or should have known. Sometimes, though, you cannot be totally prepared unless you are a professional.

So I did my homework and bought an axle with the same final drive ratio (3.55), from the right production dates (98-03), from the same truck (Dakota 2wd), and measurements basically confirmed I had the right one....

long story short, I do have the right replacement axle. Kinda.

Here it is out of the truck. (finally!)

[​IMG]

and I thought I would have a peek inside both axles.....

[​IMG]

so far, so good....both the same innards and housing, tube diameter, ect....then I began noticing the differences.

1) the new axle has shorter lug nuts! Mine is on the left, new one on the right. luckily, they are the same axle specs.

[​IMG]

2) different size brakes! here are the mounting plates for the 9" and 11" brakes....Im going to stick to the 11" that my truck came with....which means, I have to do some swapping. Mine on the left:

[​IMG]

check out the difference in brake shoes! (mine in the back) (and yes, I thought about doing a disc swap...but every kit is quite pricey...and honestly, the rears dont do nearly as much as the fronts.....

[​IMG]

So in short, I did get the right axle....but now have lots of work to do.

If there is a silver lining, its the fact that all the hardware associated with my rear brakes was shot! pads coming away from the shoe, pistons leaking, springs about to let go, brake lines super toasty......

For peace of mind its worth the trouble!.

anyway, so let that be a lesson to you all....

;)

JP

18. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I was moaning about your countrymen the other day when this Jeep appeared on my drive for a little patch, a tap with a hammer and the whole lot fell out! 20180825_104409.jpg

19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I moan about my countrymen too....then I see this Landrover down the road.....

;)

yeah, they sure do like to hide rot!.....here in the eastern states, we have a perfect combo of humidity in the warm months and heavily treated roads in the winter months!
    vehicles rot from the inside out these days. and its always in the same places...fender arches, sills, frames. I must say, where cars have undertrays made from that plastic/felt material, they stay remarkably clean!...(VW, BMW, Ect) but the wheel arches still are susceptible as are the sills.....

JP

Rig Pig likes this.
  20. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Nothing rusts like a Land rover! My wife's Nissan has plastic wheel arch liners and trim, so far it's been pleasantly rust free.
    We have the wet climate with the added bonus of tons of rock salt spread on the roads every winter.
    Your truck is coming on nicely, should be better than new when you are done!

Advertisements