Uhhh Ohhh...2000 Dodge Dakota Sill rebuild

1. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Okay, Ive been putting this off for too long and now its gotten to the point of almost not doing...almost!....but I have had this truck since new and it has not let me down so I feel like I owe it to the reliable beastie to bring it back from certain and imminent death!

The rockers are going to be the first order of business...well second really, I already rebuilt one of the front fenders......

uh oh...rocker front, rear, and rear cab corner gone!.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are plastic inserts and foam inside the fenders and rockers....I understand why as Ive seen 2 layers of metal where they come together rust out....but it seems like once the spot welded seam at the bottom was compromised, it let in road salt and the rest is history. It looks like there are crumple zones designed into the bottom seam...good for safety, but not for eventual rustout....

It looks like a long road ahead, but Ill take it one section at a time, I guess. You guys have inspired me to tackle this, otherwise I would never have gotten the grinder out!

thanks for looking...

JP

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Just shows that we sometimes have no idea what lurks behind our nice, shiny panels.......:(

3. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

4. Moosevan Member

United Kingdom
    To get them over here, talk to Dave Mawer at Konnect USA (via Facethingy) or Russ at http://www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk/

Both will do consignment shipping, I believe; rather than you trying to get an American company who may not usually sell out of USA to do a 1-off...

5. slim_boy_fat

From his profile, he's in the States?

6. Moosevan Member

United Kingdom
    Both sides of the pond for both companies (each has partner business, so I'm told. Buy in US, ship to US address & they container over regularly, then collect from them of ship to you).

7. slim_boy_fat

^^ But as I understand his situation he's already in the States.

8. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    hi, guys

yes Im already in the states...no problem with rockers...the rear cab corners will be the issue....and expensive!...Im stopping by my friends body shop next week to order up some rockers and research the cab corners.....Ill keep you guys updated!

thanks for looking and posting those links

JP

9. Moosevan Member

United Kingdom
    Apologies, teach me to read the thread before opening my mouth...:whistle:

I completely misread your reply. Lesson learned :doh:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Road salt? In the US? I thought the streets were paved with Dollars...:D

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Road salt? In the US? I thought the streets were paved with Dollars...:D

Yes..our dollars which they buy the salt with which rots our cars out!...HA!

Actually what probably did it in (though it is 16 years old) was a lifetime of sitting outside on gravel driveways AND road salt!

JP

12. zx9

zx9 Member

A question from the 'old world'
    What's a rocker?

13. cocker

cocker Member

It's an old geezer wot use to ride a cafe racer

14. mechman Member

think its U.S.A. speak for sills.

15. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Aye that's it; before you know it he'll be wittering on about hoods, trunks, fenders, gas tanks, frames, four on the floor, windshield, blacktop, interstate, hydromatic, systematic... er... :whistle: ;)

Sprocket Hole likes this.
  16. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I was reading about someone's restoration on the Mini Forum last night and he mentioned the thing about filling the sills with foam. It's not something I'd ever heard of before.

17. CompoSimmonite Member

That is how BMC solved the problem of an incorrect seam on the very first Mini's. People report that when restoring these cars that the foam stopped internal rust. However most people now will simply use builders foam and I believe that can have the opposite effect in that it hold water so promotes rust.

18. jordan1 Member

A Mods mate

19. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    Fabricating panels or chopping down a replacement ?

20. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I had never heard of the foam filling of sills - must admit I thought it sounded a terrible idea as if water does get in it won't drain - but I guess it must have some value or they wouldn't be doing it on a modern Dodge.

Advertisements