Toylander 1 Build Thread

1. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Love the body jack!
    And the old telephone!

Clavin7 likes this.
  2. Onoff Member

That's the 4QD controller I put you onto?

You've not trialled it yet then?

3. Clavin7 Member

Yep that’s the one. And not yet, all mechanical fitting is complete but working away this coming week so it will be a slow process getting it to the ‘next phase’. Still not thought much on how to fit brakes yet...still got the disc and calliper from the scooter so may give that a whirl.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

Clavin7 likes this.
  5. Onoff Member

If I do another I've got a couple of gwo but crash damaged mobility scooters with everything already on. Speed control, lights, BRAKES!

Just a case of maybe widening the box frame, putting bigger wheels on etc:

2018-08-13_10-12-04.jpg

6. Clavin7 Member

Be aware, although I cannot quote the source, I think there is some issue in fitting wheels that look "right", when using the scooter chassis and direct drive from the motor. It affects the overall scale / proportions of the vehicle. But if you are happy with that or don't care then fair enough.

In other news, now sold all the bits off of my scooter for more than what I paid for it :-)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Onoff Member

I'd lengthen the existing chassis as well as widen it.

8. Clavin7 Member

Robotstar5 likes this.
  9. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Voted :thumbup:

Clavin7 likes this.
  10. Onoff Member

Voted!

Git! :) You've made me feel even more useless as a Dad now! Not only didn't I finish the Jeep the tree house came to a halt too. On about knocking it down now and building a garden room.

2018-08-14_07-01-51.jpg

The only plus for me is I see you've got twins. Best you get on with that SECOND Toylander! :)

slim_boy_fat and Clavin7 like this.
  11. Clavin7 Member

Well that's it, 99% complete. Few minor issues to address but its operational at least (and loads of fun). Not gone into as much detail as I would of liked on this thread, but if anyone finds it in years to come I'll always be happy to share how I resolved certain engineering challenges.

Brakes need a little work, didn't stop me from driving straight into the full sized Range Rover the other day! Minor damage to the Toylander, telling myself its more like the real thing now :-(

Estimated run time is over 5 hours on a single charge. Its certainly not a toy, these things can do some real damage. We are fortunate to have a big field near by and even at 50-60% of the throttle range it makes good ground. Thankfully the wireless cut out works great, and has been used numerous times.

Lights and indicators to wire up, and a really loud horn (for scaring the dogs apparently). Sound generator is a little weak, so may install a little amp for that.

IMG_5146.JPG

12. Migmac

Migmac Member

Not a Land Rover fan but that’s cool. Bet the kids and the big kid have loads of fun in that

Clavin7 likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

@Clavin7 Absolutely brilliant!! A real tribute to you. :thumbup:

That's a very accusatorial look the wee chap gives you at 0:27 in......:laughing:

Clavin7 likes this.
  14. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

NICE build

There 9 yrs between me and my siblings (I'm the eldest ) .....

If my old man built us one of those .... At 12 and them 3 they would get shouted out of it at 30 seconds after entering ' it's my turn '

Hell at 43 I'd go for a spin in it now !

Superb job

To quote back to the future ....

Where we are going .... We don't need brakes (mirrored sunglasses down along with foot ! ) :)

Clavin7 likes this.
  15. Onoff Member

Top job. If you liked my 4QD link then ref the amp you might find something useful on the ESR site. I've used them for a number of little kits & modules over the years.

https://www.esr.co.uk

16. R-D-R Member

Great job have a half built Toylander in the garage loft.I started it when my son was 5 he's 13 now, this has given me the itch to finish it anyway rather than wait for the grand children as Mrs RDR joked!

17. Onoff Member

You don't hang about do you! :)

My lad's 20 at Christmas and he's on about finishing his Jeep off when he comes home from uni! That's his pram in the background when I started it.

2018-09-26_06-09-26.jpg

To be fair I got it going to the point it had lights (on a seperate 12V battery) and went and would take 4 little kids around the garden for about an hour. Had scrounged emergency light batteries as a power source. He had loads of fun out of it. All a bit as hoc with no speed controls so there was a Hell of a jolt when he pressed the long arm limit switch used as an accelerator. I could just never afford a couple of 4QD controllers. The drive train was of my own making and the two motors runnibg at 24V.

2018-09-26_06-16-05.jpg

Did upgrade to bigger wheels. Since this was taken (dry garage) it's now languishing in the leaky stable. At least it's made out of ply. I don't think MDF would have lasted seeing as it never went into paint!

2018-09-26_06-16-26.jpg

slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  18. slim_boy_fat

Good job - I like the 'headlights' :thumbup:

So, he hasn't mentioned your new grandchild yet? :whistle: :D

19. awemawson Forum Supporter

I like it, and I bet that the kids love it, lucky pair having a dad with the skills to do it.

But I wonder how Mr Plod will react to it being driven on the highway and on the pavement under false number plates :dontknow:

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

20. slim_boy_fat

Private land, innit ;) :laughing:

Advertisements