Toylander 1 Build Thread

1. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Yep, just you, looks like..........:scared: :D

bigegg likes this.
  2. Clavin7 Member

@slim_boy_fat no worries on the name, get it all the time.

As for the Japanese 4x4s, I have no affinity to them at all, simply because I was not exposed to them growing up. Unlike landrover, which conjures all manner of romantic imagery for most British folk.

rtcosic, awemawson and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Onoff Member

Great thread! I built my lad the Jeep version. Never quite finished it but he had loads of fun around the garden in it as was. Managed steering and lights but lacked paint & BRAKES!

I used a couple of surplus 24V motors. I dragged some pics off of PB and put them on Flickr at the link below. In no particular order. I designed my own drive train and sorted my own wheels rather than pay the exorbitant prices the plan's suppliers wanted. It'd happily take 4 kids around the garden (some slopes) for half an hour or more including running over (and I mean as in underneath :whistle:) their 18mth old sister. When I find the videos I'll link them. The looks on the kid'd faces say it all.

Did a bigger wheel upgrade on it along the way. The logical progression was another one based on a mobility scooter as you get drive train, brakes, lights, speed control and frame etc.

The eldest will be 20 soon and the youngest a teenager. Maybe I'll finish it for any grand kids!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/122042403@N05/0Rv9g2

garethp, Clavin7 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Clavin7 Member

Thanks for sharing Clive! And my boys are similarly happy just sitting in it or ‘helping daddy’, so much in life is about the ‘doing’ rather than the end product.

Since my last post I’ve fabricated the grab rail and fitted that, also the windscreen has been fitted along with securing clamps. Slowly cutting out the aluminium trim such as mock door hinges, starter handle escutcheon and corner brackets etc. Photos to follow...

Next job is to start the wiring and make a gear box tunnel (not in the Toylander plans) to take the rather large mobility scooter wire bundle from the front to the back. Also planning on a switch (operated by a gear lever of course!) to switch between forward and reverse.

45CD3C92-1089-4688-B5B3-0C4DCFB279EA.jpeg

5. Onoff Member

@Clavin7, if you take this further and built other "kiddie cars" then some interesting stuff here though guessing you might have seen it:

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/index.php

I never had a speed control on mine so at full charge it was full on torque from the off which would throw him back in his seat! :) That's where the mobility scooter control gear is ideal with the ready made speed control.

For stand alone speed controls look at 4QD's site. MASSES of good info on there.

https://www.4qd.co.uk

6. Clavin7 Member

@Onoff, thanks will check it out. Already sorted the controllers and many other bits, from a mobility scooter, as you suggest. Only difficult part is translating the wig wag forward and reverse to a linear accelerator, but I have a plan!

Going to hide the slow / high speed potentiometer under the bonnet, along with remote cut out. Will of course share how it unfolds...

Not forgetting the Diesel engine sound generator my mate built for me, now that will be cool :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Onoff Member

4QD do pots specifically for accelerator use I seem to recall.

Here:

https://www.4qd.co.uk/product-category/accessories/throttles-pots/

V8 sounds?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-Race...t-FM-Transmitter-MP3-Gadget-AUX/282650211145?

I considered a rudimentary "gearbox" with 3 or 4 fixed resistances switched in and out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Clavin7 Member

Been a while since I’ve made an update, lack of quality lighting in the garage (and the fact it’s embarrassingly untidy) means I struggle to get half decent images.
    Anyway, windscreen fitted, all aluminium trim cut out and fitted, ‘gearbox’ tunnel fabricated to carry wires from batteries under the bonnet to the controller / motor in the back, and today I made and fitted the throttle assembly. The accelerator is a boomerang shape with a series of links which in the end rotate a 10kohm pot 40-45 degrees, which gives me roughly the 2.5kohm, like the factory pot / throttle gives the controller, but for much less movement.

Next job is to fit the gear stick with the toggle switch for front and reverse, and then wire up all the lighting. With the weather like it is today, I’m in no rush to take it for a spin!

01D884C0-01F9-49DB-8D87-D2C8872B3AB4.jpeg
    35844099-82AA-4CC9-83ED-2F211C904163.jpeg
    CE685DBF-A03B-4242-9461-380EFB0B9227.jpeg
    0CF1C3E0-7978-42AE-BA43-1931E17EDC95.jpeg

9. Onoff Member

Superb build!

Think I might be considering some rubber corner protectors on those back end aluminium corners though...and maybe the screen top...

10. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

Just came across this. Absolutely love this and all things similar. Keep going.

Clavin7 likes this.
  11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    the fabrication is wonderful. great progress.

JP

Clavin7 likes this.
  12. Clavin7 Member

Well Onoff, I have had no end of trouble with a) my ability to work with electric systems b) the original scooter controller and c) cheap Chinese controllers.

Bit the bullet and ordered a quality controller from 4qd, thanks again for the tip. The manual alone is worth its weight in gold.

Meanwhile, I have now stripped the Toylander down and meticulously started painting everything. Photos to follow....

In other news, bought a 1972 2-door Range Rover, and a 1992 Vogue. Separate thread also to follow, but it explains my absence from this thread..

Onoff and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. Onoff Member

Clavin7 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I saw one on the village green. it had a smoky pipe poking out so I guess it had an engine.

landy01.jpg

landy02.jpg

15. Clavin7 Member

Built a temporary booth in my garage and have commenced with filling and priming the body tub. Hot weather is helping things go off quickly. Not long before I’ll be laying the top coat.

78DB4BBB-E95B-453A-891A-5A1B7D3C1FBF.jpeg

44A31506-4B17-4057-8320-B9A084EE4BC4.jpeg

pcwizme, Onoff and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. Clavin7 Member

You'll have to wait for the Grand kids! I went for the DNO 10: Reversing, 12V - 36V, 100A. Bit OTT, but it was a few quid more than the smaller one so thought i'll build a bit of redundancy into it :-)

Top coat on, looks good from the photos but up close you can still see the mottled effect as a result of poorly prepared MDF. I had to make a decision on what I wanted from this project, and a show car was not it! I'm 7 Months in and the poor boys have been so patient..
    I did sand it back and apply another final coat, but I made a right mess of it with plenty of runs, and areas where what looks like blue resin has settled - guess I didn't mix the enamel well enough? It will all sand out and if necessary I will spot-spray / brush over the top.

So after allowing a few days to harden, i'll flip it over and brush paint the underside (to save time masking off, and avoiding over-spray) and commence the rebuild. I have been granted special permission to do it in the house, as its mostly clean work :-)

IMG_4763.JPG

Onoff and Tangledfeet like this.
  17. Onoff Member

He's only been waiting 7 months...try 19 YEARS! Mines out with his driving instructor and his unfinished Toylander is buried in the stable!

Clavin7 likes this.
  18. Clavin7 Member

With the help of Mrs Clavin, I’ve been making seat cushions whilst the paint hardens. Another first, but they’ve come out ok!

254828D5-1022-41C9-B68C-8ED072C30959.jpeg

Parm and julianthegypsy like this.
  19. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I saw a nice one at the weekend, not sure of the make though.

Welland18_041.JPG

andy_v, slim_boy_fat, Clavin7 and 2 others like this.
  20. Clavin7 Member

Re-assembly is underway. A little nervous about wiring up the new controller to be honest! Few days away yet, I’ll put it off for a while longer. :whistle:

AF72691B-F342-4227-BEF9-4E05CAA09467.jpeg
    993ADFE7-68D6-423A-84C1-942CBC019947.jpeg

Advertisements