1. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    ps some people just have one instead of a spare wheel :thumbup:

• spare wheel.jpg
  2. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I did. Just sold it before Christmas as the girls had outgrown it.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/painting-a-wooden-land-rover.46597/

Rest of the build is on the Toylander forum.

I bucked the trend and soaked the MR MDF with low viscosity epoxy boat builders resin before painting. It's very wet in the Pennines ;)

Very nice build by the way :)

Cheers
    Andy

3. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

4mph is more law than service centres installing any safety..

Clavin7 likes this.
  4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Back in 1999 I built the "willies Jeep" version, the plans were fantastic.

Then I had access to a place were I could get copies made, what I used as the "working plans"

The rear axil, gear box and motor was from a disability scooter, at first using 2 X 12volt 17Ah batteries. Soon upgraded to 32ah.

Steering was real hoge poge of parts, go cart, mobility scoter and parts I made.

It was painted fire engine red, it looked good.
    It even had a full set or working lights and rod activated brakes.

Mini me used until she was 4 years old and grew out of it.

Fun days.

The last rebuild I fitted a old lawn mower engine to it.
    Saddly I can not locate the pictures of the original build I know they are in the house some were. On 35mm film and pictures.

I do have one of Mini Me and I rebuilding the engine.
    max and mate.jpg

5. Clavin7 Member

Thanks Mike, what I’ll do is make a linkage so it can be ‘disengaged’ to allow for free wheeling. If I can set the linkage up via a gearbox tunnel, it’s another lever for the boys to play with. Will use the original controller so it should work ok as in essence, I’m not changing anything.

6. Clavin7 Member

Thanks for sharing, if the pics ever turn up please get them posted. Would love to see it.

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

That is the plan.

8. Clavin7 Member

I chose to build the ‘swing axle’ version from the plans but used threaded bar connectors in place of threaded tube for the trunnions (imagine a Triumph type set up of kingpin and trunnion).

To get a good amount of swing without fouling the arches, I used rubber stops which can set the swing by moving towards or away from the bracket.

In between all moving metals parts I used brass washers with a drop of grease. It’s all very agricultural and many have changed to rose joints etc but the standard design is perfectly good enough and works very well. Plus keeping things standard gives me a fighting chance of finishing.

2AA52EAE-EC65-4EDE-A157-0769B06AB754.jpeg

jpmillermatic and andy_v like this.
  9. Clavin7 Member

Wheels on, steering aligned and a quick push around the garden to make sure everything is working ok. You can certainly tell these pictures weren’t taken today!! (Taken 17th Feb 2018)

6C955FE7-6430-41C4-A131-E5E64254A94B.jpeg

A2D1473B-2AF9-4550-9ACC-7267948CA761.jpeg
    BB4686C7-626B-42B8-8C38-F10E4DE6025C.jpeg

So that’s me pretty much caught up with present day. Hope to make some good progress over the coming days / weeks before spring comes and I start my pizza oven build thread! :clapping:

dazza, andy_v, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  10. The_Yellow_Ardvark

s jeep.jpg

That's it, a lot younger me and a lot younger and smaller Mini Me.

That's it as it was originally built, eclectic driven, lights and indicators. Mini Me showing a her constant fascination with my best tools. Her she is about to pocket a Snap On 3/8 drive and 13mm socket..

The reason it is looking tall. I have it on stands as I was measuring for seat belts.

One safety mod I fitted was a remote lead so I could control the speed and stop if required.

Parm, julianthegypsy, dazza and 11 others like this.
  11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    fantastic workmanship. sometimes the simple solutions (hardware and steering, ect) are the best. it seems to make sense for this project.

JP

Clavin7 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Actually it was excitedly clambering in and out I had in mind [you know what kids can be like] but the same caveat as outlined by you applies. Better safe than sorry ;)

13. Clavin7 Member

Mounting the motor wasn’t as straight forward as i’d hoped as its almost perfectly as wide as the rear tub. That’s the issue when not using standard toylander parts, you have to constantly solve little issues that arise which of course is all part of the fun.
    The solution was to cut into the side of the tub and make a slot on the other side, which allows enough movement. Will use a removable fishplate to strengthen it up once all installed. Had to use some box section (cut out of the mobility scooter) and some steel plate to make the motor mounts. Plan is to trim a bit of the head off an M6 set screw which then runs through the wood and rear axle mounting plate, pulling it all together. Should be strong enough and look quite neat.

AC397DBA-29EE-4ABA-BF78-7EDADD5F8FDD.jpeg
    BB92E8F0-67DD-42EE-9F7E-620D954BDB4C.jpeg
    C6B520C3-959E-4930-8903-F44BFE14BBCF.jpeg

The pilot bore sprockets were mail ordered from ‘Bearing Boys’ along with some 3/8” simplex chain and plate wheels. Ratio was 22/25. The sprockets were sent up by royal mail to my cousin in Yorkshire who opened the bore on the pilot bore sprockets to suit the 0.75” motor shaft, also drilling a hole for a 5mm roll pin. The plate wheels were opened up to 28mm to clear the rear shaft. The plate wheels are supposedly welded to a ‘mandrel’ (steel tube) which is then welded to the wheel...all yet to do.

Really regret selling my lathe and milling machine a few years back, but fortunately so far calling in favours has worked :drunk:

14. Clavin7 Member

Just had a quick run through your thread, looks a top job. How did you get on with the resin? Any particular brands to look for? Cheers

15. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire

I gave the remainder to the guy who bought the Landie, from memory it was a slow low viscosity resin from MAS. This looks similar.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/mas-low-viscosity-epoxy-kit-slow-cure

I think 1.5 litre was plenty. I didn't mix masses in one go, I rollered it on and it sank in quite well leaving a smooth finish that I gave a very light sanding before paint. I used cheapo mini foam rollers so only cost a couple of quid for ten :) it took a few days to completely dry but for memory it was cold at the time which helped with working time.
    Cheers
    Andy

16. slim_boy_fat

@Calvin7 Is this going to be a surprise for your children, or do they know it's coming?

17. Clavin7 Member

They know it’s coming, and every now and then they come out to help (as much as 3 1/2 year olds can). But it’s a great opportunity to expose them to tools and such, they have their own hammers, saws and hand-drills so are quite happy to join me in the garage and just play around. Here’s something we built last year...nice to see it survive this weeks snow loading and wind!

4CD20D86-2728-4A79-9DCC-1C3BD5330337.jpeg

Parm, julianthegypsy, indy4x and 7 others like this.
  18. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Is it made of ginger bread? :D

Nice build thread by the way and I also like your garage doors, I'd like some like that on my new workshop hopefully!

19. Clavin7 Member

Ha, nearly all of its reclaimed and left overs from my garage build / house renovation. Cost me £400 in total. As for the garage doors, they are Jen-Weld softwood side hung. They were cheap and in keeping-ish with my old house. I gave them plenty of coats of preservative before priming and topcoating. Nearly two years in and they are as good as new. I always planned to have them sign-written, like James Martin has done with his...another project on the list.

[​IMG]

Parm, awemawson, dobbslc and 3 others like this.
  20. slim_boy_fat

@Clavin7 Apologies, I've just noticed I'm been misquoting your user-name :doh: :ashamed:

Love the little house, are these children called Hansel & Gretel? :D

Parm likes this.
Advertisements