True, about that old plug. But it is in my workshop.We have to fail a PAT test with those older style plugtops. The newer style are insulated on half the length of the neutral and line on the plug pins. I think its to stop little fingers being able to touch the metal of the pin as its inserted into a socket. Not a worry for a workshop tool used by you of course! It may have had an old round pin type from new!
Rotors and stators are usually, in my experience, used to describe the parts in alternators. It's a funny old world.
They are insulated now, to stop 'The Butter Knife' shorting the pins, when prising the plug, out of the tight, single socket extension lead, going to my Mothers 60's stereo record player.The newer style are insulated on half the length of the neutral and live on the plug pins.
If you like the crack.Not today but last week, I "fixed" a door stop.
I made it for my daughter a while ago out of a log.
I know it's mostly wood, so shouldn't be on here, but there is metal and fire involved in the fix so I think it's allowed.
View attachment 289932
Anyway, turns out it had a serious design flaw and it would not function as intended. (The door closer spring just slid it on the wood floor.)
I stuck a bit of rubber to the bottom but it still couldn't keep the door open.
As increasing the coefficient of friction didn’t work, I needed to try something else and as I can do nothing about gravity I went for increasing the mass.
To that end, I drilled out the base and hollowed out the centre on my metal lathe (People that are careful of their machine tools should look away now) but in my defence I did vacuum the chips away as they came off and cleaned up straight away,
View attachment 289933
The added mass came from some scrap lead melted in a stainless measure with a propane torch.
View attachment 289935
I placed the lead in layers and let it cool between pours to keep control of the heat.
I also used a few wood screws as reinforcenebt,
View attachment 289936
The tape is to seal a bad crack, which just adds character (or that's my excuse)
View attachment 289937
The handle is a curtain ring, an oetiker clamp silver soldered to an 8mm self-tappter and a stainless mudguard washer.
View attachment 289938
I'm told it now works as intended.
If you like the crack.
Drill a holecatveach end and fill with a color wax or resin.
It will continue to spread if you are not carefully.
Not all today but I finished it today.
I started with this (it cost me £5.00 from an auction - nobody wanted it and the auctioneer started at a tenner and went down, I chipped in with a fiver expecting it to start but nobody else bit and I got it.) :-
View attachment 290548View attachment 290549
It went through this :-
View attachment 290562View attachment 290563
Also a belt linisher to clean the blades up and a lick of paint on the small parts and the body :-
View attachment 290564View attachment 290566
To end up with this :-
View attachment 290568View attachment 290569
After a bit of tweaking of the blade clearance I was well pleased with how it cut some test pieces :-
View attachment 290570
The red is 1.5mm, the next blue is part of an old up and over garage door that you can see the shear was working as a brake/folder - this was the 'before' picture and the four bottom bits are some of the same door after the rebuild when I was testing blade clearance.
Now if only I could get it to switch between shear/folder mode automatically
You can still buy these - they're about £100 inc. VAT - I don't know if they are exactly the same - this was all Whitworth threading, I suspect the current model will be using metric. The bolts were well worn and I probably should have gone and bought new but that's a project for another day.
Fished a couple out of skips a while ago. Flogged one, kept the other. Someone had bodge welded a length of across the underside so it can be clamped in a vice to use - which does make it easy to get out and use, then put back out of the way.Looks near-identical to the Peddinghaus I have; it was leaning against a skip and I asked if I could have it... Superman couldn't have opened and closed the van doors quicker
looking goodFinally got round to fitting the woodworking vice that I got from @roblane65 . Before:
View attachment 291583
An hour later after 2 pots of tea and much sawing, chiselling, and violent swearing:
View attachment 291584
Have to have a trip to the great metropolis tomorrow as I'm out of suitable screws, then crack on and make some wooden jaws.